xisto Community
OpaQue

What brings you here? Give your Feedback? Tell us what you feel about this site.

The search for a free PHP webhoster with safemode off and Sablotron enabled brought me here. I don't even remember HOW I fond Xisto, but it's more important THAT I found Xisto. :D

1> Are you ready to accept ads on your website ?

No, please not! I loooove watching all the ads here in the forum, it's a good idea to show the ads that way, but I do not want these ads on my website.

2> Are you ready to make a small payment for not posting?

Let me put it this way: Posting is CHEAPER than paying! :D

3> Do you feel that you are compelled to post? If yes, Suggest about other methods in which we can ask you to come up and support us. We are supported by advertising networks.

Sure we're compelled, but as I said, it's cheaper than paying and it's nice to find good quality posts here! I did not think that before I registered here. Well as a possible alternative, how about a minimum clickrate for the ads in the forum? Hosting for ads-clicking ...?

4> Do you feel that the facilities provided by this host is enough for you. If not, what do you require.

Yes, everything cool. Sometimes I have the feeling that the server is a bit slow.

5> Do you require Cpanel. [ We provide the most advanced cpanel ]

No, it's not really necessary. Cpanel is nice, especially these pre-installed scripts, but I sure could live without that.

6> Can you comprise Cpanel with more hosting facilites like space and BW.

The only thing that's important to me is my enabled XSLT Sablotron in the PHP configuration.

YOU GUYS ARE ALL VERY FRIENDLY HERE AND THAT MAKES IT FUN BEING HERE!

GreetingZ

The main reason I came here was because it's a great addition to Myspace. After people check out myspace, they see it leads to my hosting. The bandwidth is also very good so it can really be helpful when I need to put something up where I can't fit anymore.I do not mind putting ads in my hostings and stuff. But paying is hard since it'll most likely use money order or paypal, and it's a hassle to get those unless I get a money order about a month early since I'm very busy and don't have the time to leave work, and my only source is a computer there. So yeah, in the future it might be okay, but for now ads will be just right.

Are you ready to accept ads on your website ?

Well, I'm not quite sure about this one. Maybe, maybe not. I would certainly link back to Xisto from my website, but ads? Hmmm... I'm speaking honestly here.

Are you ready to make a small payment for not posting?

Not at this point in time. I was looking for a good webhosting service [ which I also found at Xisto ] that I could use until I could afford a dedicated server with my own domain.

Do you feel that you are compelled to post? If yes, Suggest about other methods in which we can ask you to come up and support us. We are supported by advertising networks.

Most times, yes. I do feel compelled to post. Other times, not so. But I have a history of not being a consistent poster.
Anyways, I can't really suggest anything at the moment.

Do you feel that the facilities provided by this host is enough for you? If not, what do you require?

Yes, I feel that the features you offer with the web hosting meets and even surpasses my expectations. I would have been happy with 100 MB, 3 GB Bandwidth, PHP/MySQL and that's it. But other features have proven to be useful as well.

Do you require Cpanel. [ We provide the most advanced cpanel ]

Like mentioned above, no, I don't need CPanel technically. I consider it to be a bonus, not a requirement. However, it has served me well so far.

Can you comprise Cpanel with more hosting facilites like space and BW.

I could compromise CPanel for 200 MB space and 10 GB bandwidth. On the other hand, I honestly don't require that much space or bandwidth. I would rather use CPanel instead of acquiring more space and/or bandwidth.

I hope my feedback was fruitful and enlightening. :)

I like this website and the terms very much myself. However, I had a question and wanted to make sure:I posted a tutorial on the "HOW-TO" topic, and it's coming up as an error. Does that coencide with the "will not be visible until moderated" deal, or is there actually some error causing my topic to not come up correct? To elaborate, I posted one part of my tutorial on the "HOW-TO" portion, but when I tried to view, it said there was an error. Is that because moderators have to first check it out, or what?Also, if that's the case, you should delete two credits from my account cause I tried 3 times to get it on. As long as my last post on that "How-to" tutorial thread still shows up, then you should get rid of the other two credits I have.Thanks!

1> Are you ready to accept ads on your website ?2> Are you ready to make a small payment for not posting?
3> Do you feel that you are compelled to post? If yes, Suggest about other methods in which we can ask you to come up and support us. We are supported by advertising networks.
4> Do you feel that the facilities provided by this host is enough for you. If not, what do you require.

1. I don't mind having ads on my site if it helps Xisto.

2. This shouldn't be a problem for me. I usually find some topics that interest me and provide my feedback on them.

3. Nope. I never felt obligated to post here. I have some problems with my account (you might know about this already - see below for more info).

4. I think we have enough features for this free hosting service, but...see below again.

5. YES. I need this more than I need FTP. I know this has been mentioned many times regarding the bandwidth for cPanel, but I can NEVER get into my cPanel without waiting for 10-20 minutes logging in. And even then all my images are not showing up in cPanel. If I click on, say, the File Manager, that would take an extra 10 minutes or so just to get me to that page. I have no problems with this at my old workplace, but can never get this to work at home. I tried morning, afternoon, evening and night times.

6. Basically no. I actually don't need that much space and bandwidth. Just a decent amount like what we have now is great. I want to get my cPanel working though ;)

Here is my feedback based on the questions you asked. Hope it helps:1> Are you ready to accept ads on your website ?-No, never! Unless there's something in it for us, then no. There are many other ad-supported networks that don't require posting, and if you start adding some, there will be no hesitation from everyone moving their site somewhere else and leave the forums dry.2> Are you ready to make a small payment for not posting?If we would, then we would all go to Xisto - Web Hosting. Everyone here comprises of cheap people looking for a way to bypass paying. Otherwise, we would have paid a long time ago.3> Do you feel that you are compelled to post? If yes, Suggest about other methods in which we can ask you to come up and support us. We are supported by advertising networks. -Not really. Some people here might say they are, but that's just for your sake. You know so too, and if you want to test us, take away the hosting - this board will be dead within minutes...4> Do you feel that the facilities provided by this host is enough for you. If not, what do you require.-A hot tub. And nicer staff members. Both will do.5> Do you require Cpanel. [ We provide the most advanced cpanel ]-We all need cPanel. And Fantastico isn't the most advance, Fantastico2 is - but you're only reserving that for paid members.6> Can you comprise Cpanel with more hosting facilites like space and BW.-No, we will not compromise cPanel. Most free hosting users are amateurs who don't know enough to pay for hosting. Getting rid of cPanel will get rid of members.

Hi, Administrator!I found Xisto through someone's "freebie" Web site. It did a breakdown of the best free Web hosting companies out there. I checked this one out because it's ad-free and I don't have to pay money for a really great amount of space (along with all the other benefits and perks that you guys offer here).I prefer not to put ads on my site. The reason that I chose Xisto instead of one of the countless other free hosting sites is because I can actually do something constructive (posting in the forums) in exchange for Web space. If it came down to ads, I'd just move my site somewhere else or use my school's free Web space. If it came down to paying cash instead of posting, I would keep posting. I really don't have any extra money to pay for Web space. I know, I know, it can be really cheap - just a few bucks a year, but I'm in college and really don't have much spare cash sitting around (hehe).I'm compelled to post because I want hosting credits. HOWEVER: I ALSO like the fact that this forum is patrolled regularly by administrators and moderators who remove spam, plagiarized posts and other annoying things along those lines. I find that sort of junk in most of the other forums online, so I don't stick around in them very long. (If I want to wade through spam, I'll look in my e-mail account's junk mail folder.) I'm fairly certain that I would keep posting even if I didn't get hosting credits, but those credits definitely encourage me to keep coming back (I usually check in about once a day).As for other methods of supporting Xisto: what if you came up with Xisto merchandise? You could do simple, inexpensive things like tee shirts and sell them (or maybe let us trade some hosting credits for them). I think plenty of us would want to get one, and wear it around a few times a month at the least. I live on a college campus with over 29,000 other students, so I have a really huge target audience that could be reached just by wearing a tee shirt or whatever.You wouldn't make a killing off the tee shirts or whatever, but it would help offset the cost of hosting our sites AND get more inexpensive advertising all over the place (wherever we go, really) without much investment.For what little that my site does, the resources are fine. I'm not going to speak for other people, as many other Xisto users definitely do a lot more with their sites than I do with mine.As for cPanel: I really like it. I can manage without it, but I don't really feel like investing a whole lot of time or effort in my web site. If you visit it, you'll notice that it's just a bunch of my tangents/rants/whatever. I'm not trying to make money. I'm not trying to attract a whole bunch of worshipful sycophants. I'm not really trying to accomplish much of anything other than a little stress relief. If you take away the simplicity of managing my site, it's going to become more trouble than it's worth.Overall ... keep the aforementioned things basically as they are. You can probably find some creative ways to help offset the costs without taking away the most compelling features of Xisto.

I'm here mostly because its a free host for MySQL+PHP .. something that isn't easy to find. At least, not easy to find quality hosting of the two. Another reason I came to Xisto is that there were no forced ads. I can't stand horrendous flashing banners at the top of my page, or 100 pop-ups every time a user clicks a link. However, I have Xisto.com listed on my "Credits" page, listed amongst others who have helped with the site, submitted content, or whatever. I feel I owe a thanks to my host, so I provide one. I'm sure most users have no problem with this optional link they could place.

You could also provide buttons. I'd be willing to stick that on my credits page. Heck, I'd even post ads on the credits page with a note to help this host stay alive. I do, however, draw the line at gaudy banners and links everywhere. If Xisto goes to that .. it's probably off to another site for me. :blink:

Keep it how it is! :mellow:

My review of Xisto, soley and as compared to other hosting sites:

Personally, I think Xisto.com is an incredible hosting site.  Before this time, I had not yet come upon such a hosting site whereupon the only necessities for one to earn a FREE hosting account (with good specs, if I might add) was to simply stay active in their forums.  In general, I like interactivity and have no problems posting in forums which interest me.  However, upon that you have great stipulations and, once met, are not hard to maintain.

Concerning the hosting aspect:

Wonderful. Great.  I'm actually slightly befuddled by the sheer amount of options from which one can toggle and control -.  I'm still getting used to it!  In any case, I have no complaints with the hosting aspect of Xisto.  If you have some problem, check the F.A.Q.; if you have a question or comment, post in the forums or PM some "significant other".  One really can't not get used to AstaHosting.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

================

Concerning the forums aspect:

Well, forums are forums; you have a nice skin, good topics and a crowd and you've just whipped up a recipe for success.  As such, I can't really rant on how great the forums are - I will, however, state that Xisto forums get my recommendation.  Besides the technical aspect, the moderators and admin actually frequent the forums and are helpful (moonwitch, vujsa, OpaQue, mastercomputers [he's not admin or mod, but damn, how many posts?!]).  There are many "guide topics", and it can't take one long to accustom himself/herself with the board.

Probably my ONE and ONLY consideration/complaint:

I've been noticing lately as I browse the forums some "suggestive" ads.  What are you guys doing there at Xisto Central? I really like Xisto, and I would like Xisto even more if Xisto kept a clean image; hence, no ads which are, quite frankly, arousing.

Other than that, kudos and Mazel Tov because you guys there at Xisto have made a really good thing - run with it.

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

================

My own note:

I'm serious, guys, consider getting rid of those ads - yes, yes, I know about revenue and "per-clicks" markets and things like that, but at least try different "revenue" and different "per-clicks".

1064324544[/snapback]

My review still stands, guys - :mellow:!

So lets see, what brings me here...Well, first of all, the hosting plan is unlike anything I've ever seen. I mean, it has so many features that even paid hosting doesn't offer like PHP and Error Pages all in an easily configured Control Panel. And for free! I mean, it does sound too good to be true, and it isn't that correct for me to call it completely "free." It all depends. If you have a lot of time in your hand and enjoy posting in a quality forum then it's all good. But if you're in college or some ivy league school that overworks you with homework, then posting would be a pain. If so, you'd best stick with Xisto - Web Hosting, or paid Xisto hosting (email OpaQue for more information about that).But what I hear many people complain about is the "One Strike, you're out" principle we have here in Xisto. I mean sure we use a 4 Intel XEON Processor which is better than what is used in Xisto (XEON processors are okay, but not the best) but it's really easy to lose your site completely if you don't think before you land your post.But all in all, Xisto is okay. I'd give it a 7/10. The reason I'm so negative is personally the posting problem. We have homework, we have lives! But I still like it here personally, it's far more better and reliable than other host (most other free web hosting, I give 5/10).Just remember, plan before you start using the hosting. It might SEEM like the perfect free hosting plan but in the long run, it taps into your resources. Especially if you're a teenager. Studies have shown over 80% of those who make websites are teenagers. When your a teenager, this is the point where you are expected to work harder than you ever have in your life. And when you reach college, that's the part that determines your life.But to those who can use it, enjoy! It's better to post here genuinely than if you feel you're forced to.

We are always trying to improve and please tell us your opinions and suggestions.

Tell us about what facilites does count the most for you. What do you think should be given more preference.

Answer things like :-

1> Are you ready to accept ads on your website ?

2> Are you ready to make a small payment for not posting?

Please keep in mind when you suggest about posting stuff. Every account we give out is expensive and costs $30 anually. Therefore, we need member's to be active.  So If you have any suggestions in which member's can be active as well as we can give them hosting with minimum initial requirements, please tell us.

Suggest about our system and things that you feel. If you feel that our system ( requirement of initial good posts )  is wrong or if you think that there can be some other conditions by which both may benefit, please suggest them.

We require suggestions regarding spamming and meaningless posts. We want to target this forum on the search engines and hence we are more focussing on good posts. Spam posts and copied stuff decrease our page rank. Hence, on Xisto, we have particularly more serious on spamming.

--- Your Feedback is important to us | Please help us serve your better ----

1064272810[/snapback]

1) I have no problem putting an ad for Xisto on my site; you folks provide a useful service and deserve to get business. I am in the habit of putting banners or icons for my vendors on a site. I would prefer not to be forced to. I would also prefer not to be forced to put rotating ads on my site without being able to select them myself. I have no idea that Xisto's advertising customers will be appropriate for my readers. I, say, I could select advertisers in exchange or hosting credits, that might be OK.

2) At the moment, I would not use the option. I am disabled and want a buffer for when I get sick, etc., but your posting requirements are so low (1 credit per day) that I should be able to build up a reserve of credits without any difficulty.

3) I have no problem with the posting-based system and the number of posts required is quite reasonable. If I did not want to be required to post, I would not have signed up.

4) I suppose a clip-art library might be useful for people to get their sites rolling. It would save you storage since the graphics would be in a shared deirectory. Many small site operators do not have access to basic graphics for their initial content. I produce much of my own artwork, but it takes time to get everything together that I need. For that matter, I would have no trouble donating artwork a little at a time; I have released images under Creative Commons before. You could just create a common repository for members to share art, possibly in exchange for hosting credits, possibly not. For my part, I would not want to assign copyright, but would have no problem with CC or other shared-licenses. The repository might be an additional draw for advertising click-throughs.

I am used to ssh access to perform certain tasks much more efficiently. For instance, uploading a zip file and unpacking it in the right place is much faster and more efficient through a shell. In general, shell activities take less bandwidth and CPU for routine site maintenance. If you could provide a secure (and probably restricted) shell I would use that in preference to the GUI file manager. FTP does not make it easy to move, rename, or decompress files or other routine tasks. One ends up copying or doing multiple uploads much more than seems necessary. I understand that this is a security issue, but FTP has its own security problems. Sites like SourceForge do a good job of restricting the shell for security but leaving it useful.

Some decent junk mail filtering would be useful. I know that SPAM/viruses can eat up bandwidth quickly, only some of which is accounted for in BW quotas. The last virtual hosting site I ran, SPAM accounted for almost half of the monthly bandwidth. Automated greylisting works very well without having to provide much control to the site owner or burn CPU cycles. I have seen it cut SPAM by over 90% with no user intervention, no false positives, and reduced CPU usage in the mail server. SPF is also a very safe way to reduce illigitimate traffic. You can provide a little bit of help to users (some links and canned MX records) to set this up. I would be happy to do a HOW-TO in a bit.

5) I do not require Cpanel and would be fine with one of the free alternatives such as webmin/virtualmin. I have used Webmin extensively before.

6) If you mean, would giving up Cpanel in exchange for more BW and space be worthwhile, then "yes" certainly, as long as another means is given for configuration (e.g. Virtualmin).

Other comments:

I got here by seeing consistently high ratings on review sites. Xisto has a good reputation throughout the community.

Show off your member sites. A rotating ad with a blurb about a member site would be very nice. It might be much easier to convince your members to run ads for you if this is done.

As for SPAM and useless posts, try a more visible moderation system. Look at the way it is done on Slashdot or Slashdot-derived sites. Give your moderators some standard buttons to subtract points for various reasons and have those reasons show up in a log and in the post. That way, the user gets feedback about why they were docked and a new member looking at the forum has a yardstick. In the end, you cannot do anything about the blatant abuses, other than ban them, but the majorty will start to improve in order to improve their credit.

You do not provide enough to buy with hosting credits (that I can see). Ater getting your hosting packages, 1 credit per day is very easy to maintain. there is no reason to keep improving posts. The ability to trade points which you just added is a start, but think about giving the member other useful things to buy which do not necessarily cost you cash, such as letting them spend credits to advertise their own site somewhere in the Xisto pages. Also consider Slashdot's practice of giving long-standing and active users moderator points at random intervals. That might allow members to participate more and give you a larger pool of volunteers.

basically best things about Xisto:- no ads- php- cpanel- ftp- excellent b/w and space- finding this forumto tell the truth i am atually about to buy some Xisto - Web Hosting hosting but i am plainly too lazy to get round to it so i havent bothered - i like the forums, i like the comunity and i can get some really brilliant help on most subjects, and i feel that i contribute as well. i dont really understand how Xisto is commercially viable but all the same its awsome. i was concidering putting a 'hosted by' tag on my site anyway but havent done that either. I personally feel that a way of buying a sort of 'top up', say if something unexpected happens and keeps you a way from a computer, so that you dont get your hosting suspended for a certain number of days would be pretty good.thanks all the same :D

When my old host closed down from lack of money i knew there was no other free hosting that will offer what they offer, so i turned to forum posting hosting and Xisto is the first one i tried, and it is so good that i will stay here for as long as i need to. Posting here is easy, as there are alot of topics to choose from. The system you have works great and i think you should stick with it.Good job B)