xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shackman

Is Eating Meat Morally Correct?

I am not too sure, but for many of you, this is a sensitive topic. I hope the contents of this post do not offend or collide with and religon or beliefs. This is merely a POST!!!

Many a time, I ask myself, should we even eat meat? Maybe most of us are aware that animals have to be killed in order for us to obtain thier meat. Little do we know how the animals are killed or the sufferings they encounter.....

1. Yes humans can eat meat of the animal he/she like exactly:

---As the Whale who we defend, eat tons of small fish.

---As the lion and other animal in forest eat another animal to survive.

---As the nice cats do to the birds.

---As your dog eat meat or caned meet.

---As we feed the tigers, lions, Shitas, ...in the zoo by meet.

etc. IT IS LIFE and our features. Some animals eat plants, some eat meat and some eat both.

2. If you say why we don't eat only plants. Then why you consider plants can be eaten and not the animal. Is that because plants breath differently and blood presure there replace with other pressure?

3. The chicken which you saw in battery chicken will not exist at all if it is not planned to be eaten. You don't know how they can survive in wilkdness and how much number?. I am also wondering why the chicken don't lay on their eggs as the other birds do[ erxcept in children stories]. I rember my grandma presented me a couble of Pigeon when we were visited her one day . They became my toys that time when there wern't toys as today. I put them in big cage and put in side a big 4 galon tin box to lay in. They lay two tiny egs every month . They produced 3 couples of birds who make 4 families with added tin boxes. Then we started to eat their next products. You don't imagine how they tasty and how their meat has benefit. [i missed that ] . Then another visit to our vilages, one of my aunt give me anchicken egg which was of sure will produce chick [i.e was manipulated with the roster there]. I put that chicken egg with the two tiny pigon eggs. The peacful Pigeon [as Jesus said[ didn't reject the strange eggs and they contintinue lay on the the three eggs . Until 3-4 weeks the chick hick from the eggs and I have check who became a strong roster. Of course after months I allowd the family to eat that roster and start doing the same cycle again. From that story I want to say that these chicks are produced by us. We fed and take care of them and in our mind that they will be eaten one day. THAT IS THE LIFE.

4. You speak about the bad conditions to the chicken before slaughter. I don't agree. There are many humans in more bad situation. There are people are living 8 persons in tiny room and many human living in dark and without electricity. There are many people in India has no toilets [WC]. Open your eyes to see what around and not only what in your place. See what Katerina Hurricane showed what in real US. How the NY homeless are living and not the life be shown in Hollywood films.

5. Then what the difference if they will slaughtered anyway and be eaten. What the difference in how.

There seems to be a lot of outrage at Whale farming groups, as well as other practices, especially from vegetarian groups. Whilst I hadnt read most posts to form a opinion yet, it seems the food chain does dictate how mammals and/or living creatures are supposed to survive. For example, small fishes eventually gets eaten by bigger fish and so forth :\

Carnivores aren't wise for eating meat, they're wasteful. I don't care about how much protein there is.
If you look at meat scientifically, the advantages are slim.
Plants make glucose, and when ingested, it is a very efficient source of energy. The body doesn't need to build any mechanisms to break it down and create ATP (adenine triphosphate, an extremely efficient energy storage unit). It merely enters straight into the krebs cycle and cellular respiration.
However...
the sugar found in meat is much more complex, and has to be broken down in order to get glucose. Much of it is wasted in the process.

Also, it takes 7 times the land and resources to support a meat eater... the inefficiency is extreme.
Check it out:
http://veg.ca/2007/02/01/meat-and-the-environment/

There is no moral obligation to be either a vegetarian or a meat eater. I don't believe in the souls of animals or anything like that... but vegetarian food is really good too... and meat eating is just outright wasteful. There is no reason for it.

Dear friend I was a meat eater for around 15 years of my life now I am 33 and don't even touch the products made up of even eggs. It may be possible that some of you might say that it is madness. But the reason for leaving the consumption of meat is again a story for me. I went to a fresh meat shop in a city where I resided. The shopkeeper out there killed 2 chickens for fulfilling our order of fresh chicken meat in front of my eyes, and that’s it I was so shocked that from that day onwards I never ate meat, fish or even eggs. Now I am very happy to be how I am now. And satisfied with my life. My approach always aims at saving animals killed only for consuming their meat. But I don't force my friends, family members etc. As I think having meat in your food is typically a personal wish of a person not to be interfered about. You see my wife eats meat. I have obviously explained my reasons for not but even though she is not convinced with it and continues to eat meat. But I really don’t mind it as its her own life to be lived in a manner she loves.?

'lions have sharp pointy teeth like we do'. That is hilarious. I'd like to see you face to face with a lion and compare your poxy little nashers with his. Our teeth are nothing like those of actual carnivores you muppet.

It's morally correct, I've come to this logical decision by the decree of my... tastebuds. No but really... humans are omnivores and meat has a lot of nutrients that are important to growth and function. Although technically we could get our nutrients from veggies... and beans & what not, theres stuff that ONLY comes from meat... I think its like b12 and omega3 fatty acids ( Fish ).... So whether its MORALLY correct or not its biologically correct. Tigers don't think about whether its morally correct to devour their next gazelle or rabbit so why should humans........as it was said in the Lion King........ its the circle of life!

Is eating meat morally correct? Well, yeah. Unless all the carnivorous animals of the world are sinners. I guess you could say animals don't have morality and that makes them "bad", but eh, I don't think so. All those horror stories about animals living in horrid tightly packed conditions and being butchered by painful machines and what not are a bit disturbing though. Whether that's moral or not, it kind of makes me lose my appetite to think about that. I certainly don't think I could work at a place where animals are treated THAT bad. I really don't think that's natural in the slightest. I

I'm an animal lover and I'm against the completely unnecessary (killing and not eating) killing of wild animals but I believe eating meat is part of who we are. It's just how life is, for almost our entire history we've been eating meat.

You might attempt to compare eating meat to something like slavery. I've seen this argument before. Our ancestors did it, so it must be morally okay to enslave foreign or less fortunate human beings? Well that can't be right, because slavery is highly frowned upon in the modern world. The thing is, slavery doesn't exist in nature. Eating meat does. That's the difference.

I'm willing to bet it's a big factor in where we are today. Cave men ate wild animals, right? Why would they waste all that energy and even their lives were it not for a good reason? Maybe it just tasted better than plants, I don't know, or maybe they realized it was healthy, gave them more energy or something, but quality of food definitely helps a species survive I'd think. Surviving on pine cones and leaves or whatever they ate would kind of suck.

Though I'm wondering about the question. Is it EATING meat that people feel is wrong, or is it KILLING the animals? For example, is shooting a wild deer and causing an instant painless bad? What if the deer had survived, chances are it'd have a painful and slow death at the "paws" of a wild animal. At night I often hear the cries of a live deer having it's limbs being torn apart by coyotes. Trust me, shooting a deer in the heart or lungs is an easy way out.

I guess in conclusion, I feel that eating meat is perfectly okay. The mass produced chickens etc that you see on those horrific tv shows and the beating of farm animals by a incredibly stupid person with repeated sledge hammer blows is getting to the point where it's not ok. That has nothing to do with eating though. That's the bad qualities of the human race. We're susceptible to greed, even the most gentle person might become a monster if they're making millions of dollars. It's also the sadistic quality of some people who get a kick out of killing things.

I eat meat, I love steak, chicken, pork, fish etc. I respect nature and animals though. I'm no blood thirsty monster.

Related to this subject, what really annoys me is people who claim to be vegetarian and use all the common anti-meat defenses "it's cruel! it's unnatural!" but it's really because they're overweight and ashamed to admit they're eating vegetables because they're on a diet. I often have barbecues and sometimes a vegetarian cousin will come over and they'll want a fish burger or tofu burger instead of a cheeseburger. They'll tell you how bad it is to eat meat blah blah blah and try to make you not enjoy your food, and it's so obvious they are only saying that to convince themselves to stay away from the fattening stuff. It's the George Costanza phenomenon. "It's true if I believe it's true!"

I'm craving a juicy, bloody steak right now though.. yum! :(

By the way, anyone see that Omaha Steak ad that was on the PETA website? I believe it was hacked or something. Pretty darn funny!

PETA are kind of nutty. I'm all for caring about animals, and anyone should be free to believe what they want, but their methods are sometimes really bizarre and quite morally wrong if you ask me, if you read about them on google.

Related to this subject, what really annoys me is people who claim to be vegetarian and use all the common anti-meat defenses "it's cruel! it's unnatural!" but it's really because they're overweight and ashamed to admit they're eating vegetables because they're on a diet. I often have barbecues and sometimes a vegetarian cousin will come over and they'll want a fish burger or tofu burger instead of a cheeseburger. They'll tell you how bad it is to eat meat blah blah blah and try to make you not enjoy your food, and it's so obvious they are only saying that to convince themselves to stay away from the fattening stuff. It's the George Costanza phenomenon. "It's true if I believe it's true!"

Well I'm a vegetarian although I don't fit into that description, and I'm certainly not overweight :excl: Anyway I hate those kind of people, who just pretend to be vegetarians....

Coming to me, I'm a vegetarian by birth (it's a family rule) and so I've never eaten meat in my life, and don't have an intention either. I am free to bend that rule but even after "seeing" all the "tastes" that meat offers, I have no thought to change. But I don't go around telling people to turn vegetarian, because I know it won't have any effect on them!

Just like rob86 pointed out some "anti-meat" defenses, there are tons of people who would dish out "pro-meat" defenses if anyone forced them to change their habits! I personally feel that the world is better off as it is now, and anyone who wants to change their food habits are free to do so. But forcing others to change....now that is immoral, even if it is right! :(

Early man ate meat, there's no denying it. But if he loved meat so much, why did he turn to farming later? :angel: The choice began there itself. And it is best to leave it that way - let each individual choose his own taste. Their decision is not going to have any major effect on today's world, and no matter how much people crib about it, most of the world will continue eating meat in this world, and they'll never have had enough!

Vegetarians don't lose out that much on taste. A few spices ought to do the trick with any recipe. That's the main reason I've never been tempted to eat meat till today - I haven't run out of tastes yet! :excl: I don't know how it's like for vegetarians in other countries, though.

I'd just like to point out that we'd live in a very sad world if we were all Vegetarian/Vegan.  I'm from a farming background.  It's what my whole family have done for centuries and they wouldn't be farming animals if no one ate meat.  There would be no money to live as no one would want the meat.  So, say were all Vegetarian/Vegan, what happens...We only have wild animals in the countryside as no one is prepared to farm sheep, cattle, pigs etc etc etc.  I find so many people are extremely naive about the whole thing and, not that I've read all these, but rob86, you're entitled to your opinion, but if wild animals weren't kept under control, we would be in a complete mess!!  By the way, I'm personally an animal lover too, but I know the consequences only too well if we don't get the balance right!

Meat Eaters are Demons!Is Eating Meat Morally Correct?

I think meat eaters are barbarians, demons, ghost and killer. We should refrain from killing. Animals are our relatives, ancestors, brother, sister, mum and dad. Love animal and show that you are HUMAN.

-reply by Bikesh Shrestha

Find your own answer ..Is Eating Meat Morally Correct?

I think all people here are missing on one important point here. /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley3.Gif

The moralQuestion of eating animals can not be completely answered since it has toDo something with 'moral' which is strongly related to feelings. Each individualThinks and feels differently according to his/her community, beliefs and logics so there will be thousand differentOpinions on this topic.

I believe there are two different type of meat eating people: "One whoKill and eat", "One who do not even want to think aboutKilling animals or become part of it but love eating meat".

Frankly I do not have problem with the first type of people, theyHave genuine reasons to kill and eat animals. You can find these peopleIn few undeveloped countries. With few exceptions, these peopleAre probably very well connected to nature and their living depends onAnimals. By witnessing the whole process of killing and eatingAnimals they know exactly what they are doing. They eat to live and takeFull responsibility of what they do with animals and nature. You willFind these people helping nature in one way or other.

I have problem with the second group of people. I think these people as coward since they lack courage to even witness or become part of killing and meat production system. They make-up the vast meat eating humanPopulation. These people live in posh houses and are probably livingUrban life and are least connected to nature. Their nature might beLimited to few episodes of 'jaws and claws' on nature related channels.They believe or think that meat comes factory in nicely cleaned, packed boxes and do not get into details orAvoid to think on this topic. When asked they can give all sorts ofReasons like "animals are made for humans" "I eat farmed animals whichAre made for eating" "by killing animals we keep their population underControl" or they put forward number games like "earth does not enoughGreen plans to feed humans" or health reasons like "vegetables lacks inVitamins and minerals".

If you give a knife in their hand and ask them to kill a smallAnimal they might look at you as if you are asking them to kill aHuman. If they spend couple of days in animal slaughter house they willFaint and will not be able to even sleep peacefully without sleepingTablets for couple of days. These people eat animals because they eatFor taste and do not want to spoil their meal time by thinking aboutThe animal or the pain it would have gone through. They can eatAnything if its tasty, yummy, crunchy which packed nicely in some fancyBox. Some people might find it disturbing but these people can eat evenHuman flesh if its nicely packed, fried without any blood stains sinceThey are hardly connected to sources. Their only worry will be "Is isSafe?" 'Is it fresh ?" "Is it high in protein?" "Is it organic?"

One makes the riffle, other one transports it, one puts it on aMachine, other one feeds in bullets, one remotely pushes the trigger,Bullet hits the animal ( can be human ), other one transports the body to cleaning, one cleansIt, other one chops it into pieces, one packets them into nice boxes,Other one transports them to city food processing plants, one cooksThem,other one sells them. Finally we eat in food chain outlets with yummy taste. Cycle complete! 

My answer to the moral question is "You become part of whole process, at least take some time to understand it, witness it, feel it closely. You will find your own answer! no need to ask or tell."

Open your eyes and senses don't live deaf and dumb life..

-reply by Harry

I think before one can be the expert on a topic, maybe they should learn how to spell it "BEAF" does not spell anything I've ever eaten. Or at least learn how to use spell check. For the record, It's spelled : "BEEF" !!! And as far as the "Morallity" issue of eating meat, To each his own on how they want to live, eat or do with their lives as far as that goes. No punt intended but, "Lets quit beating a dead horse" so to say, And focus our attention on something that will do us some good in this country. The abuse of childern, The homeless, The elderly, The national debt, shall I list more ? Come on people where will we be if the country is owned by "Another" ? I don't think it'll matter what we eat, rather than "IF" we eat..?..!!!

Hope i didn't offend anyone ? If I did I apolligize.

M.E.