xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shackman

Is Eating Meat Morally Correct?

Opaque is right in saying that all non-vegetarians would not convert to vegetarianism but at least stop giving rubbish reason for eating meat.

I have heard all sorts of reasons like : survival of the fittest, and that there needs to be a balance in the nature, human teeth are meant for eating meat, getting other vitamins & proteins and what not....

I hope the following link would clear all your doubts and stop you from giving crap reasons:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Also, to those who point out... In India there are many communities who are vegetarian, I dont find any health deficiency in any of them.. nor would you be able to point out.

Cows in India die naturally but I have never heard of 'mad cow disease' in India.
Moreover other predominantly meat-eating nations face this scare... so that does not prove any point...

I have just put in my points with no intention of hurting anyone's feelings.

There are two notions pulling my head in opposite directions. The first one: I firmly believe that animals were not placed on earth to serve humans; i.e. they must not be used as means to our own ends. In this sense, technically, killing an animal for its meat WOULD be morally wrong.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...eating meat is morally wrong, but biologically correct.

EDIT: i cut some stuff out so its the main point

54350[/snapback]

there's no such things as morals, humans created them well actually humans didnt create them we thought up of them so technically it isnt morally wrong but thats only technically

also the way we kill those animals is probably not because we like to slaughter things but because it's more efficient and tastes better cuz they'll make less money if they let the chicken make an egg whenever it wants

There is no health risks in eating meat sparingly as part of the human diet. The problem lies in that people tend to eat way too much meat, and that is what causes the obesity and other problems. A big reason for the terrible conditions in places where animals are raised is that companies try to keep up with the huge meat consumption by increasing speed and cuting cost as much as possible.

Morality is the product of the existence of rational beings. We, the humans, ARE the rational beings, and morality has since been devised in order to keep our actions in line. I don't understand how you can say that morals do not exist...If there were no morals, people would be slaughtering each other like it was there job. Morality guides our principles, and it keeps us from doing stuff that is damaging to our society. When I said that humans use animals as a means to their own ends, I find that as a violation of the moral code. Technically, we're all animals, the only thing that makes us stand out is the fact that we can rationalize. I am not completely swinging towards one particular way, I'm just trying to explain my stream of consciousness here. Yes, I do eat meat, and there are reasons that I and other people do, but at the same time I feel that I should and could be refraining from it. It doesn't make me a bad person. Everyone is liable to second-guess their actions every once in a while. Of course, when it involves food, the second-guessing doesn't have an enormous impact on you, especially when you're hungry :D

Morality is the product of the existence of rational beings. We, the humans, ARE the rational beings, and morality has since been devised in order to keep our actions in line. I don't understand how you can say that morals do not exist...If there were no morals, people would be slaughtering each other like it was there job. Morality guides our principles, and it keeps us from doing stuff that is damaging to our society. When I said that humans use animals as a means to their own ends, I find that as a violation of the moral code. Technically, we're all animals, the only thing that makes us stand out is the fact that we can rationalize.

I am not completely swinging towards one particular way, I'm just trying to explain my stream of consciousness here. Yes, I do eat meat, and there are reasons that I and other people do, but at the same time I feel that I should and could be refraining from it. It doesn't make me a bad person. Everyone is liable to second-guess their actions every once in a while. Of course, when it involves food, the second-guessing doesn't have an enormous impact on you, especially when you're hungry :D

55196[/snapback]

bingo! we have morals to keep us in line but morals dont really exist it just really an idea

As long as the slaughtering does not induce a lot of pain to the animal, I think it is morally right to the eat animals. Human beings are born to be the tertiary consumer in the food chain, and human beings can do nothing about it. Nature has produced an equilibrium in which human can live harmoniously with other animals, and the predation itself is a natural process of nature. The animals also eat other species and even their own species, and the eating will not cause the other species to become extinct. Human beings just behave naturally in eating meat. Actually, many of the species that are on our dishes everyday would not have survived without human beings helping them to reproduce. This is a deal. Human helps those species to reproduce and colonize the world, and in return, those species fill our gluttony. There is nothing right or wrong with it?

I don't see how eating the flesh of another animal is morally incorrect or correct. it is a matter of nature and wanting to survive. Yes there are those that thrive as vegetarians and good for them, that doesn't mean we were meant to only eat vegetables and non meat items.

if human don't eat meat, what do they eat? vegatables? eggs? while tell you a secret, vegatables are lifes too. eggs are embryos, the initial form of life. so if we stop eating other lifes, we will have noting to eat at all.

Eating meat is morally correct :DWe need nutrients naturally found in meats to survive. Being an all out vegen in my opinion is not natural.Humans have eaten meat for ever, so why stop now.I do agree that the way some animal farms operate is not fair, but its not the case all the time. I believe in killing animals in a humane way so that they feel no pain. Other than that breeding animals souly to be eaten by humans is fine :DAs someone has said its survival of the fittest. I don't have a problem with vegeterians normally, but do when they try and victimize meat eaters and make you feel guilty. Thats just silly.My final argument is meat is yummy :D

Ok there are two ways to look at this:1. What do lions eat? Meat!!!Is that morally correct, and everybody would say off course it is!!! We all feel sorry for little zebra when we see it on TV eaten by the lions, and we should but it is just the way it is. It's called the food chain!!! Humans eat everything. When I say everything I mean meat, fruit and vegetables. That is the food of humans!!!Tree has life just like carrot has life just like cow has life. When you cut down the tree is just like you dug the carrot from the ground just like killed the cow. When you eat the apple is just like you ate carrot, and just like you ate the steak!!! It the human food!!!2. God!!!God made humans, like everything else around!!! The only difference is that everything else is made to aid humans. That means that everything eatable is food!!!Conclusion:Yes it is!!!

Some chimps even eat meat too! I was really stunned when I saw on TV a group of chimps hunting small monkeys, and beating them to death! Then, they skin him and share the meat between themselves. They also eat some fruit and plants at the same time (kind of like eating a salad)!So, even our closest relatives are meat eaters, even though they don't look like it. The human body is simply designed to eat meat!

Probably eating human flesh, if you are a human, would be morally wrong. but eating meat from livestock is not.if you are thinking of the cruelty to animals thing, it is not. because we buy our meat from people who grows hogs, chickens and cows with care. They do not hunt them down at the wild, which for me falls under cruelty to the animals.It is not also about the survival of the fittest, because as i have said, we already grow them at the farm. survival of the fittest it more of the Barbaric period.And there is also a recent report from scientists that eating only vegetables, or being a vegetarian, is not healthy or good at all. Our bodies need elements and nutrients that can be found at meats, like iron and protien. eating veges alone wouldn't give us these things. and if you are saying that you are taking vitamins as supplemets.. duh! what is the use of having vegetable diet, which most people say as a natural diet, if you are going to take vitamins.as most peple say: you are what you eat. if you eat too much vegetables you'll end up like vegetables. hehehe

Cruelty to animals is wrong, and so it would be nicer if there was a better, more humane way to kill the chickens in that example. But as far as actually whether or not to eat meat, i believe it's morally correct. Aside from those who are simply vegetarians, the only religions i know of that prohibit eating meat are buddhists, Jains, Hindus, and related eastern religions. The 3 major faiths in --Christianity, Islam, and Judaism--all allow meat to be eaten. God told Noah in Genesis 9:3, "every moving thing that lives will be meat for you." Though it seems like God tried to put a safeguard on the cruelty issue, saying, in essence, "don't eat it alive". In other words, kill it quick and get it over with. Apparently this was a common practice among the idol worshippers of those times.

well to be honest it is the food chain. we as humans have to survive in this world and met contans all the nutrition we need. so i do think its ok asong as the animals died in a organic way!