xisto Community
networker

U.s. Teens Send 100 Texts A Day Third of phone owning U.S. teens send 100 texts a day

Teen Txting Problem  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

so basically what you are saying is..... is the less people you know that texts you, the more you will text back. the more people you know that texts you, the more you will text back.thank you for proving my point.......

the less people you know that texts you, the more you will text back. the more people you know that texts you, the more you will text back.

And later you'll end up being like the one mentioned in the first page Lol. The logic is true though. You start with small number of friends, and because you want to be 'a good friend' you will text back as soon as possible. Later you will get more friends, and of course because you're such a 'good friend' you will text back. Do that in 6 month and see if you still have time to do other things than just texting your text friends all day ;)

hahaha have you guys seen how fast teens can text on ther key pads. I bet the can write a full length post on here in a minute or two usign their key pads. They dont even need to look for which key makes the letter d or v they have instinct and with predictive text thats even made the whole process easier for them. I know when you do the math the calculations say they are texting once every minute or what ever ridiculous amount but does it occur to you that these teens are sending like 6 texts every minute because they can send one text to each other but amongs 6 frends but the msgs are like text ling one frend will text meet at zakes 2nyt x and send to her 6 friends as conference text they will reply yh @ 8 ;) Pimp n hos and and flood each other with short meaningless texts which make perfect sens to the group. My sister who is 19 has to delete her inbox 2 times a day cause its that full. each time it maxes at 205 msg so shes receiving in excess of 400 txts a day really. and assuming she replies to each msg that means she sending 400 odd a day multiply by 30 days thats like 12 000 messages a month.It must be possible to use 18000 because I used to used a 1000 text pack in 3 or 4 days when I was younger and back then everyone thought I was crazy to use that much especially seeing as i spent it all on one girl and also i realised its not litterally 1 text = 1 message. there are other things like a msg thats just a wor too long goes as 2 texts picture message are = 3 texts (in UK that is though i dont know if the representation is still the same but On O2 Uk I think it still is you get a 300 txt pack and they say 1 pic msg = 3 texts) so you do the math if you forward a pic message and some corresponding info on who is in the photo and send that in less thn a minute you have literally sent 4 texts in a minute assume you sent to all you frends a picture of Daniel being lifted out the pub by a boncer and sent to your 6 frends that means that minute you have sent 24 texts and if somene said damn dude my statement came and it says i sent 24 texts in 2 minutes meaning at that rate im sending 24*60*24*31 lets say thats 60000 i didnt calculate just guessed that answer at random. One would say thats not possible.

no matter how many texts people keep sending each other, they're enjoying it so why not let it be for now. some people know how to control themselves and they stop at around 100 per day. others just keep on texting whenever they find time and these are the ones who have to be careful in the future. talking about the future, how many adults find time to send over 100-500 messages in a day? since teenagers have lots of time on hand they have the capacity to send out so many messages in such a short time. once they grow up and get jobs and all, they won't find so much time so even if they still have the addiction of texting, they will gradually cut down automatically because they have to fit it in their busy schedule. the only downside for the teens now is that they will miss out on a lot of other useful things. but in the end all they care about is whether or not they are happy. that's all!! ;)

i don't agree with that at all. technology is always changing to make people more lazy and unconfrontationable(if i just made up that word, good for me! hahaha)
first there was person to person contact
then there was the telegraph
then there was phones
then there were fax machines
then there was computers
then there were emails
then there were cell phones
then there were text messaging on cell phones.

ummmm am i the only idiot that recognizes a pattern here? just looking at the history, i can think of 1 or two more ways to make people more lazy and without the responsibilities of actually going out of the house and communicating. it's getting bad. and not just with communication. look how much time difference there was between the telegraph and phones being invented. then compare that to computers and text messaging.

Ok, so? Who cares. If you look at that list, we still use all those. It is not like OH there is something new, lets drop the last thing! That is what you make it sound like, once something new comes out the other goes away, all of those things on that list are used quite often still (excluding the telegraph). Nothing will go away, you cant just stop person to person contact, its needed. You cant share emotions, sarcasm, and other feelings over text very well, person to person contact is needed.

Please find me one person who texts instead of meeting people. I don't, I can't think of anybody who does, not even close, I hang out with all my friends who I text, quite often actually. I go to school with them from 7:30 to 3:00 and then I work on the set for the play 3:00-6:00 AND THEN I work spot light during the play rehearsal from 6:00 to 10:30. Don't say people don't meet, and talk face to face anymore. It is wrong. Even my mother, 48 years old, sends about 5,000 texts a month, she just thinks its easier! She still has friends, she eats lunch with people, she goes places to meet people. Texting is just an addition to life, not a replacement.

you know what my theory is? the more people text, the less friends they have and don't want to be bothered by a phone call or a face to face meeting.

My theory is that your theory isn't going to occur. Texting is a convenience, I've gone without my phone for months, and its just something convenient to have, I don't need it at all, but yet i still averaged 10,000 texts a month.

no. you wouldn't see any problem with it because it IS convenient. and i agree. you have to meet people BEFORE you text them. but after that, it's texting texting texting. that's what i am hearing from this thread and the people posting in it. we've already discussed how much time it takes to text over 10k a month. that's a lot of time. the only reason people text that much is they have nothing better to do which to me is sad. it also means people rarely turn off their phones when texting that much.my point in creating the partial list was that we DONT use those things as much anymore. most are absolete and texting will follow suite one day. hopefully it will create a more efficient way for teenagers to text because seriously. that's all we are talking about now. teenagers who text 10-15k a month. i thought 100 a day was a lot when i first read this thread but doable considering there is no school on the weekends but still, what activities are people missing out on that are more productive than texting? i can think of a lot. that's my point. this texting people are now talking about is excessive and anything excessive is a mad thing. doing things in moderation so people are more well rounded and have some balance in their life is how we should raise our children. so i don't really blame the kids. i blame the parents because i don't really think they know what's going on.

i didn't say you didn't have a life. nor did i say you have nothing to do. what i DID say is when people are texting so much when i am hearing about 10-15000 texts a month. obviously while they are texting, they have nothing better to do or they'd be doing it instead of texting so much. but teenagers love the technology. they have absolutely no clue what the technology is distracting them from knowing anything better or actually pursuing a future in what they want to do rather than having the distraction of texting so much. i'm not saying texting is a bad thing. not at all. but hey, who am i to guide people in saying there are better things to do than text all the time. to me, texting is something if i was bored or had nothing better to do.....but that's my opinion only and frankly it's quite obvious....hahaha and i just thought of something else. it's probably a great way to cheat on test nowadays. i dunno....i just think texting is a lazy mans way to communicate and for the most part impersonal. people normally have only 10-20 people in their click of friends so if someone does text that 10,000 a month, we are talking about communicating with 1 person more than 15 times a day on average on the cell phone. now tell me that is not excessive and explain your reasons if you have any because personally, i don't get the point of what i feel is excessive. also, is there really anything important that people text? because it seems that if it was so important, people would use a phone....

no. you wouldn't see any problem with it because it IS convenient. and i agree. you have to meet people BEFORE you text them. but after that, it's texting texting texting. that's what i am hearing from this thread and the people posting in it. we've already discussed how much time it takes to text over 10k a month. that's a lot of time. the only reason people text that much is they have nothing better to do which to me is sad. it also means people rarely turn off their phones when texting that much.

The only reason people text that much is they have nothing better to do? Sorry but you are wrong, at least in my case you are wrong. I text a lot, don't tell me I have nothing to do. I work backstage building sets seven hours a day after school, and i spend 27 hours working on sets during the weekend, and the rest of my time hanging out with friends, and I still text a lot, Don't you dare say i have nothing to do, because that's just offensive when you don't know how much I actually do do. Sorry if I'm being rude I'm very high stress right now, the performance last night had issues, and t here is another tonight and I have to solve the problems.

Just because I text a lot, that doesn't mean I don't have a life, or that's all I do. I also play a sport, whattya know? Thats ANOTHER THING i have to do, Don't tell me I have nothing to do. I play Soccer in the Fall, Soccer in the Winter, and I row for my Crew team during the spring season, I go to Crew camps over the summer, and multiple soccer camps over the summer. Don't tell me I have nothing to do. I also own a website, which I work on all the time that I can. I think you should rethink your statement.. "the only reason people text that much is they have nothing better to do which to me is sad."

As I am at school and other things a lot on my iPhone I do about 250 Texts and 15 calls a day as well as being on the Internet on my iPhone 24/7. You can call me a phone geek, freak or whatever but the iPhone transforms your life once you have one. ;)

I had a hard time believing the poll results! I think the worst part of this is the fact that many of these text conversations aren't exactly confidential. Isn't it true the court of law can obtain this information easily? Also, T9 is almost as bad as using ABC - Any ideas on a good QWERTY phone from AT&T? I need to catch up with the people sending 100+ texts a day. ;)

Edited by Holdinout (see edit history)

i never recieve text..i don;t keep a mobile phone lol

really? i thought that you would send like 100+ texts a day! :D hmmm...

As the news is related to April 2010 i think now after a year that amount have even increased a lot, i can see many peoples around sending and receiving 20 messages only to know how is their friends or what is he/she doing, so 100 text a day is nothing. text message comes with many benefits, one of them is the price, if you call your friend to see how is he/she then you have to pay all of the price yourself but when you message him/her then you don't pay for the answer, this is why the willing the person has for sending you a response is less than when you call that person. so even with this 100 messages each day i can be sure that more than 40 of the message they receive comes with a huge time gap which means that the sender was thinking about sending another message or not. another benefit of sending text message is thinking, you can think before you write anything and this thinking makes the text better and without any bad words that you may use in your conversation when you get angry, and so the text message can prevent peoples from quarrel that can happen when you talk face to face with someone else. so sending text message can be a good thing and can help us to make our conversations more polite and be careful about the words we use, and of course if you are in a bad mood you can answer the text message later when you were better.But what are disadvantages of text messages ? one of the most important disadvantages is that you can lie more easily, you are in a bus and you can tell the person who has messaged you that you are in home or in cinema and this is not good when peoples lie each other. lying is more easier when the person doesn't hear you, so peoples start to lie each other very easily and this can destroy the principle of life. the other disadvantage of text message is that you can not express your feeling with a text message, when you are sad or you are crying the person whom receives your message can not feel that and doesn't know what are you feeling right now but when you call your friend you don't need to say what you feel and he/she will recognize that from the tone of your voice, so if you want to say someone that you like her/him i suggest you to call and don't use text message because a text message can lie very easily. another disadvantage of text message is that you will forget the voice of an old friend, when you can not see someone then if you just text him/her you will start to forget his/her voice and this means that you start to loose him/her, even hearing is not enough and a video conference is a lot better but when you don't have the video call feature then call him/her rather than sending text message.Now peoples in all over the world are sending messages more and more every day and even the text messages are going to be in your face book wall rather than your mobile phone inbox. now if you want to say your friend something you go to his facebook page and live her a wall message and you do not wait for the response because it is not like the phone, so i think if this procedure goes on peoples will start to run away from society and go sit behind a display to communicate with each other, i don't like that type of the world but this the thing that i see for future.