xisto Community
Soviet Rathe

Spam Emails, From Trap17 Visitors

Does anyone else get emails like this?

Hi My Dearest, Hope the sun rise get's you well and you are enjoying the weather, mine weather is cold and.lt cloudy today, it was very great when i get your profile in site http://forums.xisto.com/. and i felt a great spark in my heart despite that i have not seen you in person but your profile really gave me a nice pleasure to communicate with you and see how the sun will shine's like. you can reach me via xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.com for easiest communication and never mind as you could not view my pictures here but i will send them immediately i hear from you
Yours penda with love & huge kisses .

I get like... 5 a week. plus I have gotten some PM's..
It doesn't really bother me too much, I just would like to know what these people want.

you have secret admirers! i am jealous! they want your body. i would reply to them

It doesn't really bother me too much, I just would like to know what these people want.

I haven't been getting those :) but you can go to your e-mail settings and then add that to your spam list. Just don't follow what they saw.

Our forum is very, very popular and high in PR. Therefore, you will get weirdos and attract them just about all the time.Moderators are doing their best to regulate those spammers. Although we are doing our best sometimes it cannot be managed 100% completely because they are sending PMs manually. That means, there's actually a real person sitting behind that username, sending you their copied message. So, it's actually sad to think that people are sending spam messages hoping to get "lucky"--for lack of better words.We will use IP ban as the last resort if the same IP is coming up as spammer over and over again. In the mean time, you can use "block user" or "ignore user" from your control panel.

Lol, ignore them and if you want you can even ignore user. There were some on Asta as well. Asta is getting hit by lot of spammers these days but those posters come to post their file format conversion articles. Some even go ahead and ask to join some social network and expect you to send email address.

should we forward those emails to admin so they can delete the accounts? or would that be a waste of time since most spam is a one shot deal on any given user account?

I've had a few of these fall into my spam folder over the years. Both GMail and Thunderbird pick them up as spam and get rid of them. I also get the odd similar PM. I haven't spotted any real correlation in the IP addresses though, which makes it difficult to block them before they send the messages. And, as BH says, it could be a real person sat there copy and pasting these messages (as they'd have to click the link to send an email to you, as your address is hidden in your profile) so blocking them would just cause them to create a new account and use another proxy server.

should we forward those emails to admin so they can delete the accounts? or would that be a waste of time since most spam is a one shot deal on any given user account?

Unfortunately that's the reality of it. Most of the spam I see comes from accounts that have only made that one spam post and nothing else. They seem to create new accounts each time with different proxy servers, so blocking becomes difficult. Still, we do our best :)

In my time being at Xisto i have gotten... one email like this and 3 PMs like this, so I don't really care :)Probably because my email address is set wrong.

you have secret admirers! i am jealous! they want your body. i would reply to them

hehe I do reply, but you don't even want to know what I send them :)

hmm... the next one I get I'll reply and be nice just to see what exactly they want! :D

EDIT>> omg, paste the first big line of that email in google. a whole bunch of stuff shows up!

Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)

I wonder if it would be sensible for T17 to impose a rule blocking all users with 5 posts or less (or perhaps 10) from using the PM system?

Wow... soviet rathe!!! Guess what? I would be happy to receive something like that. My PM box has been empty lately, so I am feeling rather lonely at the moment. :DBut anyway... I guess they ARE wierdos. Maybe it's your avatar that attracts them, though I really don' t see why they would do something like that. It's very weird. Anyway... cheers!!! :) From your post, I take it that you are implying that you are being extremely rude to them. :( I wouldn't do that if I were you. I'd be like... Oh, you are my sweetheart too. Thank you so much for everything that you have just posted. May I ask what makes YOOOOUUU attracted to someone as humble and as lowly as MEEEEE?Or something like that.Haha. You should try that sometime and see what they say about it. Probably will go and vomit on their keyboards. :P

im also getting email from that named amanda? but im just new here XD and i don't think why they are doing thatnever thought it was a spam so i replied to them sorry XD and thanks for the information about this issuewhy people doing that? she said that she is from a rich family and she grows up from orphanage and needs meto get his money from bank? is that a scam?