xisto Community
harrison858

Texting While Driving (u.s.) I think it should be banned

To my knowledge, a number of states have banned text messaging while driving, and I think it is a good idea.It SHOULD BE BANNED, because texting teens and even some parents are putting innocent lives in danger on the roads, highways, and even in School Zones. Texting causes a distraction, whether it is not paying attention to the road ahead, speeding above the limits, not paying attention to traffic lights, and speeding. Did I mention Speeding?People should know better than to text or play will their cellphone WHILE driving. It should be common sense.Its becoming a real problem, and I think this law should apply to everyone in the country, and to make it a federal law.I see no disadvantages of it becoming a federal law, as it should apply to every state and should be common sense when it comes to driving, putting you and other people in danger.What are your views?

It haven't banned there? I thought it have been banned everywhere except here, although i can see those phone usage warnings on all the way... :D Well i agree with this, and i hope it will be international driving rules :)

cell texting doesn't have to be banned. haha. if a police officer saw you driving and texting at the same time, you would get pulled over in an instant. it's the same as when a police officer sees a woman put on makeup now while driving.i personally am not against cell use while driving. i am against the idiots who can't manage to do two things at once. i mean....if anyone can't drive and talk at the same time without being a danger, that person shouldn't even be on the road to begin with.

I totally agree, being intexticated while driving should be banned. It is just as dangerous as being intoxicated with alcohol or other drugs while driving.

At least when a drunk person kills someone you know, a drunk person has the excuse that they were intoxicated, and therefore didn't have better judgment at the time or before driving. On the other hand when a person who is texting has no excuse after killing someone , they blatantly choose to be so ignorant, that they can kill someone without being intoxicated. I'd be more mad at a texting person than a drunk person.

Edited by knoppixusr (see edit history)

You can ban everything while driving, but does that really help? I mean it seems that everything is getting banned, a lot of things are getting forbidden, but I guess it doesn't help as much as politics imagine..It's would be great, that people would understand when to text message and when to not, everyday I just hear that something is forbidden :)If everyone would be strictly obeying the law, they couldn't do anything at all. One example in my country, you can't drink beer in a public place nor you can show yourself drunk in a public place, but usually I and most of people go home after getting drunk in bar through a public place and use public transport like a bus or trolleybus :DAnother example is that I need to walk the dog with a lead and a muzzle, but sometimes I just use a muzzle or just the lead, sometimes I don't use anything, so everyday I guess everyone isn't obeying all the those laws.. I agree those really scary and mad dogs are scary without a lead and a muzzle, but the host should know how to walk his dog safely to everyone.I watched a show about driving and text messaging or mobile talking, that you aren't so attentive on the road, but you usually don't see commercials/ads in the road or see much less of them, which in fact is bad for people who make money out of those stupid ads, so for such laws they have a rather big interest too..I think it all depends on the driver and his experience.

I agree that using of cell phone should be banned. I have personally seen drivers driving in haphazard manner while using the cellphone. This is a sure recipe for an accident to occur.

They take strict actions if they someone using their cell phone or cell texting =) I personally haven't seen any person doing that before though/

Hi!I think using a cell phone to talk to somebody while driving isn't as bad as texting while driving, but both make the driver of a vehicle less capable of controlling the vehicle. If one had a cell phone in one hand, that would make him or her unable to steer while shifting gears at the same time. Or, if the foot brake didn't work, he or she would not have a free hand to pull the hand brake while steering. Brakes do not usually fail completely, but if the vacuum-assisted brakes did lose power, they would be much less effective than normal and would require downshifting or the use of the hand brake.Using a hands-free unit for a cell phone to talk while driving is not much of a problem, though a caller ID display can distract the driver when the phone rings. The caller ID display does, however, prevent the driver from reaching down to the phone to look up the caller ID so it does have its advantages and disadvantages. If a law does come into place, that does not necessarily keep people from not doing something, which is why we still have airbags in cars though wearing seat belts is mandatory in most parts of the world.

that is just ridiculous. drunk drivers have killed a lot more people than people texting while driving. nobody thinks they are going to hurt or kill someone. let's face it, it's never intentional. to say a drunk should be less responsible than someone sober is just idiotic because the drunk should have been responsible BEFORE he/she ever started drinking and had the forethought to call a cab or suggest a friend drive 'm home FIRST....before drinking. sure, a drunk driver's reflexes shut down, their rational thought process shuts down, but they had that before they started drinking.

think about the old saying...."guns don't kill people.....PEOPLE kill people". it's the same thing. cell phones don't kill people. neither does alcohol. it's the choices people make(direct or indirect) that kill people.

that would be funny for a defense though. "you're honor, i know i was drinking a lot before i started driving, but it's not like i was texting on the phone sober". haha.

you are right though. there is absolutely no reason for a person to text while driving in the first place. you can easily talk to the person on speaker or your blue tooth knowing texting would be more of a distraction than talking.

I totally agree, being intexticated while driving should be banned. It is just as dangerous as being intoxicated with alcohol or other drugs while driving.

At least when a drunk person kills someone you know, a drunk person has the excuse that they were intoxicated, and therefore didn't have better judgment at the time or before driving. On the other hand when a person who is texting has no excuse after killing someone , they blatantly choose to be so ignorant, that they can kill someone without being intoxicated. I'd be more mad at a texting person than a drunk person.

Too many accidents have been caused due to drunk, cell phone use, distractions etc driving. For one, Usage of Mobile phones, messing around (looking/reaching into the back of your car for something) should be banned whilst driving as it can also cause an accident. Talking while driving (aslong as you KEEP AN EYE ON THE ROAD) should not be effected.

This is something very dangerous, because it can harm other people rather than you. I have seen people in my country, texting while riding a bike, or a motor. There are lots of things people must do in order to prevent such things from happening.

Too many accidents have been caused due to drunk, cell phone use, distractions etc driving. For one, Usage of Mobile phones, messing around (looking/reaching into the back of your car for something) should be banned whilst driving as it can also cause an accident. Talking while driving (aslong as you KEEP AN EYE ON THE ROAD) should not be effected.

Im comfortable with the two hands on a wheel rule when driving.

It should be okay to talk, just as long as you have an earpiece or wireless headset to use while driving, so that two hands are on the wheel at the same time.

Talking while driving is okay, Texting is not. <--- NO EXCUSE for texting while driving. Thats just like using a hairdryer while in the shower, sticking your hand into an electrical socket, or drawing while riding your bike...

Should be common sense not to do these things. Things happen when you least expect of it :)

It's always the case isn't it? It's those few who cannot appreciate what is meant to be a privileged, and spoil it for the rest of us.I, too, have seen so many "idiots" on the road and share so many of you's point of view. Just because you can walk and chew at the same time it does not mean you can talk and drive at the same time. And adding texting while driving? Holy lord all mighty, Huston we have a problem. Driver's Education constantly promote driving and taking your eyes off the road for more than 3 seconds can cause serious accidents. Therefore, even adjusting your radio is strongly discouraged while driving. How long these idiots take eyes off the road while driving? I don't even want to know. It's gut wrenching to think I am driving among these people. People forget that driving is a privilege, not a right. And when you drive a car you are moving an item that nearly weighs a ton. And when you wave an object that weighs a ton you are threatening others with a weapon. People get prosecuted for waving a knife at another person. An object that weighs a ton...? Just a slap on the wrist.We share our highways and roadways with others. Some of us forget to share nicely. I wouldn't want to share the road with someone who disregards my safety. And so, even though the rest of us can do things safely we have to lower our standards to lowest common denominator by restricting ALL to ban texting while driving.