xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Why Can't I Edit Posts Anymore? Post editing is no longer working.

I have been checking members who are spamming and using edit feature for gaining mycents. To cut this instability, I have decided to withdraw the EDIT feature and keep it active only for 2 min. after a post is made.

Does this mean that double posting when a user wants to edit and add something to their post is permissible (though they should request for a merge)? If so, does that bear the same dilemma as having unlimited editions? I am interested in the problems caused by spammers.

I just read the whole topic, and I don't really support the idea fully. If the data you collected on spammers editing their posts to cheat the systems is from members who have been warned in the past, or have a low post count, I think you should not award them the edit feature, but maybe people who have a couple hundred posts, or no warns, or have been members for a long time should be able to post, because they are generally more trusted. I am having a problem with this also because I am trying to run a Signature of the week competition, and I often times need to edit/modify the rules of the SOTW, or things of the sort. I believe the editing ability should be awarded to maybe people who have a clean record, and maybe people who are part of the T17 graphics crew :P .

Simple solution. Ok so your using that mod I mentioned earlier correct? ok the best way is to edit the user groups. make a new default group for new members and edit the permissions for that mod to affect that group. then in that group set it to promote the member after they reach maybe... 150 posts. simple! new members with less then the posts defined will not be able to edit after the time set.

Simple solution.
Ok so your using that mod I mentioned earlier correct? ok the best way is to edit the user groups. make a new default group for new members and edit the permissions for that mod to affect that group. then in that group set it to promote the member after they reach maybe... 150 posts. simple! new members with less then the posts defined will not be able to edit after the time set.

Thanks for basically summing up what i said. :-p

I just find it quite annoying that I cannot edit certain posts.

I have to agree 2 minutes is not enough time, granted if the person knows what to post ok, I would bump it up to at least 10 minutes as that would be plenty of time to make any correction necessary. That way we don't see 100 reports that say I need this typo fixed.

Within 2 minutes... So we must be able to finish checking our posted topics/replies's typo within 120 second (if you don't have some stupid bad connection).Good thing if you have the habit to preview your posts, but if you don't, maybe you should try that button sometimes :P

I also noticed this problem, usually 2 minutes weren't enough for me to edit my post, because when you read it, or you remember something, you push the edit button, you write it and when I wanted to push edit, it didn't let me, so I believe that it could be at least 10 minutes..Even though, of course it's much better to make a quality post at once and later do not edit anything. :P Once I wanted to edit a post and add some content I googled on that subject, it didn't let me, but didn't want to double post, so I didn't add anything :P

I have to agree 2 minutes is not enough time, granted if the person knows what to post ok, I would bump it up to at least 10 minutes as that would be plenty of time to make any correction necessary. That way we don't see 100 reports that say I need this typo fixed.

Alright, I have increased it to 10min. But this is max, no more requests please.

Yay, back to making sure my punctuation/grammar is correct! :P

:/ 10 minutes is better than 2 minutes i guess, i still don't like the idea of EVERYBODY having limits.Looks like moderators may be getting many more reports on edit requests :P

Well, everyone better start using Office or Open office to spell check their posts and topics then because I will be the first to start dropping warnings on those who send reports to fix a one word typo. Granted I haven't been in here for awhile to make posts or check reports and stuff like that but if I see a lot of reports about fixing typos I will get upset.

No problems for me, i was thinking of using MS office anyway, it'll save a little bit of time too.

Good thing if you have the habit to preview your posts, but if you don't, maybe you should try that button sometimes :P

An excellent suggestion and idea! Maybe we all should try that. This will limit the number of times you would have to correct your post by examining carefully during preview before submitting for the final.

Proof reading multiple times before a submit would also save forum server's resources.