xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rvalkass

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Etc. 9.10 Released

I personally would recommend doing a clean install instead, that is, assuming you separated your personal files from the system, or else they may vanish along with the system. Distribution upgrading through the repository tends to leave old settings from the previous version and therefore may give a different or "funny" look to the operating system. Therefore to increase the chances of getting a more consistent feel or experience from a new upgrade, you should reinstall the system.

Yes I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 and first I didn't notice any great change except for the splash and login screens. Only after doing a clean install did I get the full picture! And can anyone give me a link to the DVD ISO of 9.10? All I can seem to find are the CD images but I'm looking for the DVD version :)

Yes I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 and first I didn't notice any great change except for the splash and login screens. Only after doing a clean install did I get the full picture! And can anyone give me a link to the DVD ISO of 9.10? All I can seem to find are the CD images but I'm looking for the DVD version :)

Here is where you'll find the DVD ISO/torrent. However, the Ubuntu website seems very slow for me right now, so you may have to wait about a minute for the page to load.

Karmic means to be related to Karma, so presumably its a Koala that is mindful of its actions... Though in reality i expect it is simply two "K" words that sound good together!I have upgraded through the repositories and not noticed much change, the startup time seems longer though :| but i do like the new login screen, very swave! I may do a clean install... I should really have put my documents on a new partition, in fact, i may have... I'll have to check that. *zips off to check the changelog*

On Saturday, I did a fresh install of 9.10 onto a partition next to the existing 9.04. It was slightly under 3 hours complete from start of download to install completion in total. Then, of course, I needed a few things from the repository. :) XAMPP, Skype, Editors, etc.Seems to be running quicker than the 9.04. I think I'll do a fresh, complete disk install of 9.10 later today. There are a few changes I'd like to try doing with the 9.10. I'll keep you posted of any issues I have, but it went well for me. No driver issues and the sound card runs cleaner, too.

I upgraded via the Internet rather than doing a fresh install and it actually worked this time! The only issue was that the switch has been made on Kubuntu from a dark desktop theme to a light one, and the light font settings were kept from my previous preferences in certain areas. One setting changed and all things working fine :)

I think I'll do a fresh, complete disk install of 9.10 later today. There are a few changes I'd like to try doing with the 9.10. I'll keep you posted of any issues I have, but it went well for me. No driver issues and the sound card runs cleaner, too.

I would recommend installing APTonCD (which can be found in the repository) and have it generate an ISO for your APT cache. That way when you reinstall the system, you can just install APTonCD again and have it restore your APT cache from the ISO it generated. That way when you try to install programs you had before the complete system re-installation, you won't have to go through the long download times (with the exception of new versions that came out after the install).

Kubuntu 9.10 upgrade from 9.04Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Etc. 9.10 Released

The upgrade to 9.10 went smoothly except for some of the users, Firefox won't load.  I think it's a permission issue but haven't been able to locate the problem yet.  Anyone have similar problem?

-reply by Dave

No issue with firefox, but i did an upgrade and had a separate python module manage firefox updates for me, so that could be what saved me. Try removing firefox and re-installing it (should be possible from the Software center.

Looks like it will be a while (read: forever) before I upgrade to Karmic. It told me I needed to download 1500+mb of updates, and then gave me the slightly (Heh) off estimation of 1 hour 5 minutes for my connection. A more realistic estimate is ~150-200 hours of download time and constant lag. Bit torrent is out of the question for me, as it's even slower and more laggy than downloading from one source. I suppose I could order another CD, re-install ubuntu and try out the APTOnCD truefusion mentioned..Nevermind, shipit says I already ordered to many CD's, I only got two! Well Karmic, I guess it's going to be a while.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

@rob:

shipit is really busy these days - that's why it is denying new orders. In my case I did order a lot of CDs (50, to be exact!) so that's a good reason not to send me any more. But in your case, just 2.......that's really strange. And regarding the Internet upgrade, I think it's not that huge a download for many users? Before using a CD, I simply tried the internet upgrade and it said it needed just 690MB of files to download, and that it would take 50 minutes to download on my connection! Well I canceled that anyway and went on with the CD installation, but it's again strange that the download size is 1.5gb in your case!

I did the APTonCD thing and wrote the results to disk, so now I can reload without the Internet.Cool. Thanks for the heads up on APTonCD . tf.