xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rvalkass

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Etc. 9.10 Released

The latest version of the most popular Linux operating system, Ubuntu, is now out in the wild:

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

The corresponding versions of Kubuntu and Xubuntu have also been released:

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I can't wait for the inevitable *buntu vs. Windows 7 reviews :)

So, who's already taken the plunge and installed Karmic Koala?

How do I update to Ubuntu 9.10? Is it possible to do it without wiping out the settings/drivers/codecs/programs I have now on Jaunty? I have my Ubuntu running pretty well, I'd have to have to go through it all again so soon!

When Ubuntu next checks for software updates it should tell you that a new version of Ubuntu is available and prompt you to upgrade. So far I haven't seen any reports on how well the upgrade process works at the moment, so I'd wait for a few people to try it before you go ahead with it.

I think i will updgrade to KK, It's just when i can be bothered. Ive just spent 2 days doing a fresh install from XP SP1 to 3, including drivers (which windows update didnt have) and complete software suites like MS office, Serif and adobe so im not really in the mood to do any updating at home! :)Oh, and then i have two more sets of machines to do... Face/Palm *slap*KK does look good though, i also have Win7 en route to me thanks to a free upgrade voucher so i can finally kick vista in the gonads! Think i will dual boot it though, i have the space and resources and it saves me transferring massive games over and cuts the risk of Win7 being worse than Vista.... Anything is possible with old Gates.

I used beta version. But my experience is limited as i'm using it on virtual machine. So system related performance can't be compared in my case. By the way,Homepage of ubuntu is also improved. In between, anyone on Xisto is on launchpad.net ?]On point of windows vs ubuntu, i think ubuntu will have one more stable update on april. So it have edge to improve again. On windows side, they have to wait for another service pack which i'm sure will be released in march or may. Anyway, how many people on Xisto order CD from shipit ?

So, who's already taken the plunge and installed Karmic Koala?

I've been using it since the first beta release (i normally switch to the newer versions when the first beta comes out). I installed it multiple ways: through a frugal installation and through their internet installation (i think that is called "netboot" installation). The frugal installation gave some problems slightly, which seems to be dependent on certain BIOS settings, but i have yet to figure out what exactly (same problems occurred with 9.04). The internet installation wasn't near 100% stable until the first release candidate came out—but it should be wholly stable now.
For the RC release, concerning the new XSplash, they seemed to have added text support for the default theme for when the HDD check is running, et cetera. Also, starting, restarting and stopping services are done through the service command (no more having to call the scripts from /etc/init.d—doing so will inform you of the service command). GRUB 2 also looks nice. It seems to boot up a bit faster on a clean install. And GNOME is actually pretty stable for me to want to use over the others now.

How do I update to Ubuntu 9.10? Is it possible to do it without wiping out the settings/drivers/codecs/programs I have now on Jaunty? I have my Ubuntu running pretty well, I'd have to have to go through it all again so soon!

You should be able to force the update by running:
CONSOLE
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
From then on just wait several hours, could take up to a whole day, depending on how many people are upgrading through the repository.

If anyone is on ubuntu news team mailing list. I have got karmic koala's new from mailing list. It is post which was linked to reddit. You can read about "10 things to do after installing ubuntu karmic koala". Check this article, nice piece of information in my opinion.

Nah, I use the built-in update. Takes 4 hours with my connection...

What's the speed of your connection ? More than 256 kbps ? If so then it worth 4 hours wait.

I'm rolling on a 132kB/s(NOTE: BYTES) connection. (it should be only 120 kB but I somehow get a faster connection on linux, I wonder why...) It's about 1800 MB to retrieve so I think it's ok to wait 4 hours. I would have to download 700 MB and wait 1.5 hours for the disc image anyway. Besides, I would have to download additional packs after that as well. I can also continue the download later if I'm not finished yet, so I won't have to leave it on over night.3 hours and 31 minutes left :)

I upgraded last night. I have an 8mbps Internet connection and it took just over 4 hours to download the whopping 4.7GB of data I needed to upgrade all my packages! Pretty much everything has been upgraded to a new release - the most surprising for me was KMyMoney finally releasing version 1.0, and it's looking good. I'm still playing around with all the new features I'm finding, and hopefully I'll post a little bit more of a proper review later on :)

How do I update to Ubuntu 9.10?

An alternate way to upgrade Ubuntu to 9.10 for those with slow connections is by getting the alternate iso through torrent. This way the download can be paused and resumed. And later the package updates can be done.

@mahesh: that reddit link is not working, because the website is currently down. Seeing the tittle may be it is this article: "Top things to do after installing Ubuntu Linux 9.10 Karmic Koala". Very informational article.

Edited by BCD (see edit history)

yay finally i had my Karmic Koala :) new features and best graphics quality than Vista :(well another one to explore ehehe. Well I wonder where they got the codename for it "KARMIC KOALA"because all the codename of ubuntu, xubuntu or kubuntu are great and unique i like them.

I was waiting for this release since a long time and I downloaded the CD image the same day it released (took me around 100 minutes to download the 700MB) and I immediately tested it out in VirtualBox. The experience was awesome and I'm only waiting till I can get the DVD to upgrade completely. Jaunty was an average kind of release and I had some problems with connecting my phone to it....just hoping that this gets solved in Koala.I read an article somewhere that it's recommended that a clean install is done instead of an upgrade, because some of the new features/packages won't work with the upgrade. I'm still pondering whether or not to re-install or not. It's been year since I did any installations! On the whole, this is a very good competitor to Windows 7 and I'm sure this will earn Ubuntu even more fans :)

@mahesh: that reddit link is not working, because the website is currently down. Seeing the tittle may be it is this article: "Top things to do after installing Ubuntu Linux 9.10 Karmic Koala". Very informational article.

I just checked the link. It is working for me. I guess site was down when you last accessed it. Or perhaps linking was lost when mods edited my reply. In anycase i hope you got the link working. That article link was distributed by ubuntu team members on mailing list. So it is indeed informative article.

I read an article somewhere that it's recommended that a clean install is done instead of an upgrade, because some of the new features/packages won't work with the upgrade.

I personally would recommend doing a clean install instead, that is, assuming you separated your personal files from the system, or else they may vanish along with the system. Distribution upgrading through the repository tends to leave old settings from the previous version and therefore may give a different or "funny" look to the operating system. Therefore to increase the chances of getting a more consistent feel or experience from a new upgrade, you should reinstall the system.