xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Can You Live Without Your Cell Phone For 24 Hours?

No cell-phone for 24 hours  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hmm that's been asked before but never on Xisto if I'm not wrong :P

I don't know about the rest of the world but in India, cell-phones came onto the scene somewhere in the early 90's. At that time it was something of a fashion-statement. To own a cell-phone meant that that person was really wealthy! That's because the rates were outrageous at that time - Rs.32.00/min for outgoing and Rs.16.00/min for incoming (today all incoming calls are free and outgoing is as low as Rs.0.10/min) So naturally, even the richest person thought twice before using it on a regular basis.

But today the scene is entirely different. Everyone has a cell-phone thanks to the low costs of maintaining one. And it has proved to be useful in many cases. It's now a common sight to see a person take out a small piece of plastic and talk into it for hours together! Cell-phones are common property now and no longer a style statement. Well, maybe the only thing left about style is how expensive your handset is....anyway that's not the point of this topic.

Cell-phones have become an unwanted necessity these days. Wherever we go, it follows us and it seems as if we can't live without it. There are some people who are addicted to cell-phones. They send text messages, click pictures, watch videos, listen to songs, and browse the web - all using their cell-phone. They are obsessive about it. Then there are people who don't care much about their phones. But still, they carry it along with them because they need to stay in touch with their near and dear and also their official contacts. So whether or not you like cell phones, you always keep them with you, allowing them to bug you at the most inappropriate times!

Do you think you can stay away from them for one whole day? One day without waking up to check how many messages you have, or how many missed calls you got over the night? One day without wishing all your friends "good morning" "good evening" and "good night"?!! Do you think you can bravely switch off your phone, dump it somewhere and walk out of your house smiling?! ;) I don't think there will be a lot of people like this. It would truly be great if we can fight the temptation to check the phone every now and then, but sadly, it's not practical these days. There might be some emergency and you never know what news the next call/message might bring you :P

But still, let's see how many people can truly say "I don't need a cell-phone for a day!"

Well truly speaking I cannot keep myself away from my cell phone. I own Nokia N72 and I really love it. I know its not a good phone but still I am having it. I am now become an addict to cell phones. I can't stop myself from checking messages, sending messages, calling, surfing net on my mobile. I always keep my one eye on it.?So the point is I am not among those people who can say I can keep myself away for 24 hours! I am among those who can't keep themselves away from the cell phones.

My answer is "easily". Honestly, I just don't use my mobile phone (yes, I'm British) anywhere near as much as most of my friends and peers. Sure, I probably use it at least once daily normally, but that's merely for convenience than some sort of need to. When I do use it, it's often for phone calls rather than any of the 101 other uses phones have these days. If I want to send a message, email is my first port of call (especially as most people I would otherwise text check their email on their phone). If I want to browse the internet then that's what my PC is for. To some extent, and especially recently, I'm even starting to replace phone calls with Skype and so on.

While I'll confess that I understand why some people rely on their mobile so much due to portability (it's not always that easy to be able to use your laptop), virtually anything a mobile phone can do a computer can do better.

I don't need a cell phone, period. I have one, but i didn't get one because i wanted one—i wasn't even the one that got it. I rarely, if at all, use my cell phone. I would rather spend the money on other, more important things. I rarely consider picking up the phone when someone calls me. That's pretty much the only reason why i would ever actually consider using my cell phone: if someone calls me.

Do you think you can bravely switch off your phone, dump it somewhere and walk out of your house smiling?!

I would probably just open up the phone instead and take a look inside to see how this thing works. At least then the phone would become more interesting.

I would love to keep away from mobile phone for a day thou it is unlikely to happen. Cell phones have been part and parcel of life just like internet. I can still remember the days when pager is the IN thing. And whenever it beeps, we were running all over the place looking for a public telephone to return the call.

Wow a lot of people sure are confident about themselves! :P I may be wrong but the trend usually says that most people would vote "NO" in such a poll. I think it's just plain coincidence that most of the people who voted till now are against the trend - maybe the majority of the people who would vote "NO" haven't seen this poll yet! ;)

well I could be wrong. Anyway it's good to see people who can keep away from their phones. I'm not that addicted to my phone (it's just a basic model no camera/browser/music) but I still feel uncomfortable without it at my side!

Wow a lot of people sure are confident about themselves! :P I may be wrong but the trend usually says that most people would vote "NO" in such a poll. I think it's just plain coincidence that most of the people who voted till now are against the trend - maybe the majority of the people who would vote "NO" haven't seen this poll yet! ;)

well I could be wrong. Anyway it's good to see people who can keep away from their phones. I'm not that addicted to my phone (it's just a basic model no camera/browser/music) but I still feel uncomfortable without it at my side!

I agree. my phone isn't anything special so i don't need it all the time

Well, this depends on lots of circumstances. If you are a businessman,a politican, jouralist, doctor, engineer..etc, I guess life is difficult without a cell-phone. But if you are living alone and abroad, far away of your home with few friends and close persons, and you have a constant job without worrying for emergencies I think you can live without a cell-phone. But still phones are a necessity because you just can live wihtout them.

Businessmen and politicians - the busiest people in the world! They certainly cannot live without a phone because they never know what news they'll get regarding their profession at any time. I don't know how they used to manage before cell-phones came into existence but now it seems they're stuck to them!

Well i can surely say that. Even if i have my cell phone i hardly use it. I dont even have a gf and boys dont communicate that much. I dont have a job so that also cuts. Incidentally i just used my phone after three days when my friend complained of not replying to their forwards. It is a unnecessary cost for currently but in future maybe i use it more.My sister uses it alot. She walk mobile, sleeps mobile and laughs mobile.

Well, of course I can live without my cellphone. Even for a week if it isn't needed but it is, to call friends, parents, GF, etc and texting. Still I could live without it, it's not much of an addition in the Humanity.

The cell phone is abig thing in my life and I would hate to lose it because i text almost 24/7 but I would live without it, it is not like i would kill myself if I didn't have a cell phone for 24 hours, even a week, or more. I would continue living.

I fork out a ton of texts a day, I don't even bother to count the hundreds after hundreds of texts a day. But I can totally live without it for a day, and I already have in the past, even for longer when I am away for a week in places without reception.

I think people who can't live without it for a day need to think a bit more about it ;)

Edited by Tramposch (see edit history)

Its not like, we cannot live without our cell phone for 24hrs. But its just that the present generation has got addicted to the use of phones on the move. its like there are certain jobs which depend on these phones and hence for those people its quite difficult to live without phones but it isnt termed impossible. Well in my case, I use my phone basically to text msg. Texting takes a lot of time since m not used to it in my new phone-Iphone. Hence it almost goes full day to contact my friends via texting. And in such situation i cannot think of staying without phone. otherwise, i am happy without it!

Yeah well, I must say that I can live without my cellphone for a day, but I don't think I'll survive after the day. I mean, I don't use my phone a lot, but I have to call my parents constantly to tell them where I am. And if I don't they'll probably, actually, make that WILL... they WILL get angry and worried and I'll have to explain why I didn't call them.ANd saying that I forgot or that I wanted to experiment whether I can live without my cellphone for twenty four hours won't be a good enough excuse to keep my head on my shoulders... ;)

I definately could! Although I use my phone a lot, I could if I wanted to, quite easily.I use to argue with people who went on about how great their phone is and say "Its just a phone, it makes phone calls" But I must admit, i use mine for a lot now. I am virtually always armed with my smartphone, and a spare phone, just incase. Although my spare ohone rarely leaves my pocket, I use my smartphone for everything... Calls, texts, the internet, instant messaging, emails, camera (when I dont have one with me, even though I cant stand how phones are overtaking much much higher quility cameras), microsoft office, Sometimes I listen to music (i have always hated the way people treat their phone as an MP3 player, but since getting a smartphone with windows media player, and some other media software, i quite like it), callendar, address book. Sometimes, I must admit, ive even been known to play solitaire on my phone.........but as much as I use my phone a lot, for everyday purposes, I could easily go a week without it. More...