xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ne0n

Facebook

Facebook is a social networking website launched on February 4, 2004.Mark Zuckerberg founded Facebook while he was a student at Harvard University.The company dropped The from its name after purchasing the domain name facebook.com in 2005 for $200,000.

On July 20, 2008, Facebook introduced "Facebook Beta", a significant redesign of its user interface on selected networks.After initially giving users a choice to switch, Facebook began migrating all users to the new version beginning September, 2008.

According to Alexa, the website's ranking among all websites increased from 60th to 7th in terms of worldwide traffic, from September 2006 to September 2007, and is currently 5th.The website is the most popular for uploading photos, with 14 million uploaded daily.

Facebook has met with some controversy over the past few years.Due to the open nature of Facebook, several countries have banned access to it including Syria and Iran.The Syrian government cited the ban was on the premise that the website promoted attacks on authorities. In Iran, the website was banned because of fears that opposition movements were being organized on the website.

Several concerns have emerged regarding the use of Facebook as a means of surveillance and data mining.Two MIT students were able to download over 70,000 Facebook profiles from four schools (MIT, New York University, the University of Oklahoma, and Harvard University) using an automated shell script, as part of a research project on Facebook privacy published on December 14, 2005.Facebook changed its account deletion policies on February 29, 2008, allowing users to contact the website to request that their accounts be permanently deleted.

LATEST NEWS:

Facebook's 120 million users are being targeted by a virus dubbed 'Koobface' that uses the social network's messaging system to infect PCs, then tries to gather sensitive information such as credit card numbers.

share your views on Facebook right here.

Notice from truefusion:

Well I used to switch from hi5 to Facebook a couple of years before, because of hi5 being populated with teenagers. Meeting other classmates was another thing that made me get more attracted to facebook social network. Also the fact that viewing other profiles was associated with chat application made it more trendy. But I don't like facebook because of multiple spam messages or applications and because of quizzes gaining popularity.

"When you can't beat them, join them!" It is only this motto that has led to the success of online social networks. When a lot of your classmates/friends are on a particular site, you can't resist joining them. But one doesn't want to join any other site even though it has a lot of better features. One will always want to be part of a gang, and that's why I don't use facebook much. Almost all my friends are on Orkut, and even though I know it is less secure and has less features than facebook, I'm not shifting to facebook, because why would I want to join a site without any friends?! Okay leaving this concept behind, I would say facebook is definitely among the better social networks. I'm not saying that it is the best but among the crowd it stands out and that has led to its popularity. koobface is a thing of the past - there's nothing 'latest' about it. it's a very old news and it's on the decline now. I'm not sure why you wrote all this anyway! ;)

I use Facebook and for the most part, I like it. Sure, it has it's drawbacks (useless notifications, people who update their status every hour on the hour, etc.) but I like it a way more than I like MySpace. MySpace is full of a lot of drama and people with weird display names - on Facebook, things are nice, neat, professional, and you don't have to deal with people who are just in it for attention and not much else. I didn't use Facebook as much until I started adding more friends - in the beginning I logged on only every once in a while, and logged onto MySpace everyday. Now it's the other way around. I will only log onto MySpace every other day or so but I log onto Facebook just about everyday. It definitely gets an A+ in my book for ease of use and features.

Speaking of Facebook, I was watching CNN the other day and they had a story called "The Twelve Most Annoying Types Of Facebookers." I found it rather amusing, and I've already proclaimed myself "The Lurker," haha. Here's a link if anyone wants to read the story: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Facebook is good but it is starting to break in side of privacy. they introduced new feature of URL. and they break privacy of user. now any person with acess to facebook URL can view your profile pic and your friends. is it good ? not at all if you're concerned about privacy of your pic and profile. why they added this ? ofcourse to get into search engines. but for that they compromised with user profiles. Another things that buggs me about facebook is their notification. your friends if comment on photo of someone who is not in your friend list then even you'll see a notification. and is that necessary ? I think No. why do i need update of that ? that's too personal update isn't it ? i don't mind receiving their wall and gallery update notifications but where their activity outside my connection is not my business to be frank. Poping up notifications every now and then is seriously pain, why there is so much of notification of crush,and blah etc. Though you can disable notification from settings but still some will continue to display and certainly annoying. One more headache is "Mafia" games. First there was original mafia game then there are clones of it poping here and there. they officially added vampire mod of mafia game. though sound good and fun at start but eats lot of your time and definitely not productive and less attractive. Design is improved than earlier versions, but still lot of clutter to be taken care of. I hang out very rarely on facebook, i spend some time on orkut instead. but when it comes to photo sharing and friends, i ask my friends to stay on facebook as orkut is hacked by idiot script hackers regularly. and it's not safe to share close-view photos on orkut.

I must say that I don't use Facebook, and I have no reason to, and I am not intending to join it anytime in the future. One of the main reasons why this is so is because Facebook can easily change it's Terms of Service (just like it did once where it secretly subtlely changed it and allowed it to used pictures and profiles and stuff that are personal on it's members profiles and pages for it's own personal use). This, I don't really like. Also, all my friends and many other people all agree that Facebook is rather quite very addictive (sorry for the bad grammer, by the way) and that they spent like, twenty four hours non-stop on it seeing their friends comments and stuff when they could be doing more useful things on the internet (like posting on Xisto and earning myCENTS and converting them to US Dollars to earn money for hosting their own website). I mean, why do you want a bad unpersonalised site of themselves when they could have an actual site that is like, really real that only costs a few good quality and long posts a month? The domain name doesn't even have to be paid for either.Also, I do not like social networking sites as they can cover up who you really are, it gives potential to rape cases and crime cases to criminals and rapers and stalkers that lurk on the websites finding a good innocent person and young people like me to trick and harm, and well, I'm just not into it that much.And I suppose that's all, though I'm just a hundred percent absoloodoly and fully against any social networking sites. Not only Facebook, but also other ones like Twitter, Myspace, Bebo and other stuff. And it's a whole different world on these websites. You might not be friends with this person that you know in real life, but besties on the virtual community and on this virtual world...How just unrealistic is that?

I'm a member in some networks but till now I have restrained myself from posting anything personal (photos, videos, etc). It's not a bad thing to join the networks - after all meeting friends is a good thing - but getting addicted to them and putting up private stuff isn't such a good idea. The people who spent 24 hours on facebook really need to ask themselves - "Was it worth it?!"

It does and doesn't matter if you put up personal information on your profiles for social networking sites... it depends on how sensitive the information is TO YOU.Facebook has enough privacy options to even exclude you from searches, not to mention limited profiles to give yourself some sort of exposure for others to find you on the network. There really is no excuse as to not having a Facebook account due to privacy issues, but then again, maybe you just want to stay invisible, in which I would say: suit yourself. Technology is progressing at a fast rate, and everyone's information is becoming more and more accessible, and there are pros and cons to being accessible, especially for networking purposes, learning about people, and stalking them. You have to take the good with the bad, and it really depends on how you look at the Internet. Do you see it as an opportunity, or yet another way for others to intrude into your life? People can only see what you share with others, and with the case of Facebook, people can only see your limited profile until YOU accept their friend requests, and vice versa. From there, they can only see what YOU decide to share.What about phishing, hacking, getting into your account and using your pictures, your words, or even "being" you online? That would be your own d*mn fault, whether it was because you were careless and installed a malicious app (unknowingly) that opened up access to your profile, or you are ignorant and don't follow personal security to let someone hijack your profile (by sharing a computer and saving password fields, etc.), or if you pissed someone else enough for them to target and hack you, or if you just drew a bad card in life and just have that luck. Even then, the damage done could possibly hurt you professionally or socially IF people even knew about your profile (if a hacker or hijacker decided to slander your profile or send messages as you).The gains of having a social networking profile can work for you as a networking agent and as a way for others to see more than you are used to sharing in person, which can help or hurt you. It really depends on how you present yourself. But of course, this is if you do decide to use it in this way, or just use it for what it is: a social networking site. For me, the potential networking is an additional bonus, and it provides for me some exposure on the Internet to allow for potential employers to see that I'm out there.I have a Facebook account. I think it's good and dumb, considering the fact that I had Facebook before apps became a big thing and now I just ignore most of them. Facebook has always been a plus over MySpace for me except for the part where you can't customize your profile page as much as you can with MySpace and working around its strict coding layout, but I can live with that when it offers on-the-fly updates, reliability, and a clean site that's not too over-laden with irrelevant information and advertisements. I'm not saying it's the best, considering that some features are more to be desired (like being able to write a Note without having to go back to your Profile, clicking on your Notes tab, then doing it from there), but maybe Notes weren't meant to be super-easy to get to.

I dont like facebook, in my opinionFacebook < Myspaceand i honestly do not get what the whole craze is about right now, everywhere on the media, facebook, facebook, facebookbut i do not buy the numbers, since everything that surronds me screams myspaceyou dont hear people on the streets saying "facebook this" facebook that, you hear MYSPACEmyspace is a way better built site than facebook, all facebook is, is a nutshell to getting raped, there is no privacy, you log in and what do you see?Peter commented Stacy saying.. blahblahblahand i mean do people really check who adds them? not really, but in facebook, your cellphone number and andress and private info is revealedoffside from privacy, im into graphic designing and to me facebooks layout is pathetic, its plain its ugly, i dont like it, and i want to be able to add at least COLOR to my freaking pagei honestly dont get how some movies add on their commercials, check out our facebook.. facebook.com/mymovietittlei mean seriously? what can you possibly get across with a facebook page? ughi hate those dumb quizzes on facebook, is that really why people get on> to take STUPID pointless that dont even make sence quizzes??? and to join fans of dumb things, like taking a dump or walking on sand?another thing, theres no music in facebook? thats more than half the fun you have in myspace, you get to discover new music, share it, and steal other peoples music.. deffenetely not the site to promote your musicif you ask me, whats going on is some sort of alliance between facebook and viacomm that is sending facebook out more and more into the media so it can maybe overtrow myspacebut again.myspace > Facebook. the end

Edited by gisellebebegirl (see edit history)

I dont like facebook, in my opinion

Facebook < Myspace

and i honestly do not get what the whole craze is about right now, everywhere on the media, facebook, facebook, facebook

but i do not buy the numbers, since everything that surronds me screams myspace

you dont hear people on the streets saying "facebook this" facebook that, you hear MYSPACE

myspace is a way better built site than facebook, all facebook is, is a nutshell to getting raped, there is no privacy, you log in and what do you see?

Peter commented Stacy saying.. blahblahblah

and i mean do people really check who adds them? not really, but in facebook, your cellphone number and andress and private info is revealed

offside from privacy, im into graphic designing and to me facebooks layout is pathetic, its plain its ugly, i dont like it, and i want to be able to add at least COLOR to my freaking page

i honestly dont get how some movies add on their commercials, check out our facebook.. facebook.com/mymovietittle

i mean seriously? what can you possibly get across with a facebook page? ugh

i hate those dumb quizzes on facebook, is that really why people get on> to take STUPID pointless that dont even make sence quizzes??? and to join fans of dumb things, like taking a dump or walking on sand?

another thing, theres no music in facebook? thats more than half the fun you have in myspace, you get to discover new music, share it, and steal other peoples music.. deffenetely not the site to promote your music

if you ask me, whats going on is some sort of alliance between facebook and viacomm that is sending facebook out more and more into the media so it can maybe overtrow myspace

but again.

myspace > Facebook. the end

It's interesting to note that MySpace has been playing catchup to Facebook's features. You might not notice it nowadays, but before MySpace had apps, status updates, on-the-fly dynamic changes to content, and whatnot, Facebook had them first. That's what drew me to Facebook: the fact that it was much better, design-wise, code-wise, and it was a better social networking site all around. I'm surprised you actually noted about "getting raped" and that there is no privacy on Facebook when in fact there are more privacy options on Facebook than there is on MySpace (not to mention more cases of pedophilia and other bad press on or about MySpace as a medium). You can become as private as you want on any social network by limiting what you say and put on your profile (which includes the exclusion of your contact information like your phone number if you even decide to add that), but Facebook even offers you the availability to physically become invisible to searches and make your profile completely inaccessible, as opposed to MySpace's private profiles. But I understand how you mean by no privacy as in everyone able to view just about everything that you do on Facebook... but then again, that's something you can turn off, too. But what's the point of social networking if you don't do anything social? Surely you must be smart enough not to indulge in super-secret-squirrel talk on an open wall conversation, no? ;)

Nothing is really private anymore unless it's discretely described as such in your terms and conditions of usage, and I'm sure that Facebook AND MySpace have rights to every single word, photo, and/or thing that you share with the whole wide world on their sites... but "within reason." The fact that anyone even whines about privacy yet blogs their hearts out onto their profiles for all to read is kind of hypocritical and oxymoronish.

As far as Facebook's design and profiles go, I did completely agree with you on that portion... until I stopped caring how my profile looked and focused moreso on interacting with others. (I used to be huge in building Flash profiles for my MySpace, and I would update it every few months or so.) The way that Facebook works places me in a position where I can actually see how my friends are doing, what they're doing, and even what they want to share... and with that, I can interact with comments, Liking, or just taking mental note that this friend just got engaged, that person is on XBL right now, this person's going to work in a few... With MySpace, they're catching up, but the whole news feed concept still wins over the MySpace home page, in my opinion. MySpace only wins there with advertisement real estate... and it's almost disgusting how it works with as inundated with ads as it is. But maybe we've already looked passed that and no one really even responds to ads anymore on MySpace, much less with Facebook, which has ads to the left and right of the content column, but small enough that I actually have to look for them in order to notice them on my routine of checking for messages, looking at the news feed, and social networking. :P

But to each his/her own, right?

i need help. im kinda getting worried.Facebook

facebook or someone on facebook suggested a friend (my mother's name) to me saying it was from my mother who has her own account.  that makes no sense but then it said that we had two mutual friends. So I thought it was someone I knew. So I added it and tried to go to the profile to see who it was and it dint come up in my friends list or any lists. Also, my limited profile list that I use for the random people I add for apps like mafia wars and castle age so they wont see my profile and information, got deleted. What do I do? I thik someone hacked somthing and is using my info and idk wat else... Jus sum1 Please tell me wat to do. 

-reply by dnt worry bout it

I switched from Orkut to Hi5 to Myspace to Facebook and now to Twitter . I use Facebook to talk to my friends or play those games and i use Twitter to communicate via my iPhone. I think both are good and are going to be bought my google, which will immediately ruin them