xisto Community
The Simpleton

How Often Do You Upgrade Your Computer?

I would like to quote the words of a store clerk from one of the episodes of the TV show 'The Simpsons' (sorry if I misquote him...he won't sue me anyway! :angel: )

You wouldn't want to buy that computer. That technology is three months old

That might look like a joke from one angle but actually it's true! Computer technology is developing at such a rapid pace that we can't really say, "I'm up-to-date with technology!" and we definitely can't say that our computers are up to date either! New parts at cheaper rates with higher performance are coming into the market frequently. So it only makes sense to keep updating our computers.

Some people do that, but many don't. What about you? How often do you upgrade your computer? The last time I 'upgraded' mine was three months ago and that was just putting in a new graphics card and a 320gb hard disk. But I still don't have sufficient RAM to play my dream games :(

I have a laptop at the moment, so upgrading it is fairly limited. Staying on top of everything available is a virtual impossibility. When I built my brother's computer, every day we would have a new list of parts to order. And every day he would say "Don't order it yet - wait til tomorrow and see if there's something better." It took a bit of convincing to make him see that would go on forever and at some point you have to just bite the bullet and get your computer, in the knowledge it's out of date the moment you walk out of the shop :(Other upgrades - new PSU and hard disk drive to the main desktop at home, and a replacement hard disk to the older desktop (due to the old one failing). The old desktop could also do with some new RAM and a new PSU, but I don't know if I will get around to that any time soon.

i think YOU are out of date haha :excl: this has been going on for 25 years now. so i admit that i am a cheap bastard. i will always be 2 years out of date on EVERYTHING. so it's christmas every 2 years for me. i don't mind not upgrading as long as i have everything i need...which i do most of the time. i remember still operating a 300 baud modem when the 24's came out. when i finally bought the 24, the 57k's were out. what a difference! i'm glad i never had to go backward. i woulda killed myself. BUT! the reason being is i wait for the prices to drop. and usually it's every two years where it's significant to go ahead and stop waiting. i am not a gamer though. if i was, i would probably need more ram and a better graphics card every 6 months not to mention an upgraded motherboard and faster cpu every year. that would be getting expensive since everything would only be outdated by 3 months or so. ram really isn't an issue anymore though. i remember when a 128k chip was $200.

anyway, i don't really see any need anymore for anyone to upgrade so often unless you love the games or ya got 10 windows open for your graphics programs or any sort of video editing

speaking of the 300 baud modem(my first which came with my appleII, i had no idea what it was...was a little punk kid who dialed 911 with it and 10 minutes later, the police were knocking on the door. boy have times changed. i didn't know what a modem was. i didn't even know how to use any of the software that came with it.

but yes, this has been going on for over 25 years now. i remember when apple cat modems were hot back in the day. i picked up about 50 of 'm at an auction. i sold half at the auction and was going to sell the rest in a free paper. i procrastinated. 3 months later, those 1200 baud modems were outdated. everyone wanted the 24's. i still made a profit buying the bulk lot, but i learned REAL quick how computers and their parts become outdated. seems the only part that has never been outdated was the case. anyway....

I would like to quote the words of a store clerk from one of the episodes of the TV show 'The Simpsons' (sorry if I misquote him...he won't sue me anyway! :( )

That might look like a joke from one angle but actually it's true! Computer technology is developing at such a rapid pace that we can't really say, "I'm up-to-date with technology!" and we definitely can't say that our computers are up to date either! New parts at cheaper rates with higher performance are coming into the market frequently. So it only makes sense to keep updating our computers.

Some people do that, but many don't. What about you? How often do you upgrade your computer? The last time I 'upgraded' mine was three months ago and that was just putting in a new graphics card and a 320gb hard disk. But I still don't have sufficient RAM to play my dream games :angel:

Well I have a laptop, so I essentially go buy a new one when I get fed up of the old one, Why not buy a desktop pc? well, I need the portability, I hardly ever just use my computer at home, I just wish laptops could keep up with desktops technology wise, but I'll never be that lucky. But at ?600 a pop for a good one, its a shame a month later when you could have got god knows how much better for your money, but the thing is, if you'd waited the same thing would happen!

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

I upgrade only when I am forced to or when something on my old PC breaks... Really I view it as being a waste if it is not necessary to upgrade yet, and then I do a "medium" upgrade rather than full.For example if I need a faster CPU for a game, say a 2.2 GHZ dual core... And there are already quad core 3.2's out, I would go with a 3.0 ghz dual core. Which, in fact, is exactly what I did on my last upgrade.Now, even through all the time that's passed everything still runs perfectly fine.For my ram I just went with 2 gb, and for my video card I went with a moderate 8800GT.I just find it as being a waste to get the "top" stuff. If you write down the prices of the new PC gear right now and come back even as soon as two weeks, the prices on most, if not all, will have already dropped.The technology market is just booming right now and new things are being created daily.

I upgrade only when I am forced to or when something on my old PC breaks... Really I view it as being a waste if it is not necessary to upgrade yet, and then I do a "medium" upgrade rather than full.

Same here. I think I've only upgraded my PC once, and that was the old HP desktop with the windows 98 OS. I later donated it to someone that couldn't afford a computer :(

But other than that, I really didnt have to upgrade anything. I have about 3 computers that I use now, 2 desktops and 1 laptop.

My family uses the desktops now so I'm stuck with my brand new laptop, poor me :angel:

I update my computer whenever I can. I just received my new Quad Core (8400) and I just ordered a new motherboard yesterday, when I have the money next I am getting a new PSU

Well, not often but when i upgrade it, I upgrade it with all newest versions :D Now i have 4GB RAM, Dual Core 2.4 Ghz ; 1TB HDD ; Ge Force 8800 :P I think i'll upgrade it, when newer versions of all thease items will come our to the market :)