xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
frozen.fish

Windows 7 Vs. Xp Speed....

PM or have Tramposch post here.

He has Windows 7 and promised benchmarks... which haven't been updated on his thread. :D

I also have Windows 7 RC1. I can say that it is very more improved than any other Windows Version. Of course, if we have comparation Between XP, Vista and 7, it will like as this:

Vista is Fast, but XP is faster than Vista, and Win 7 is the fastest.

Even it is RC, it is working great. It is similar like Vista for many Visual things. But that is not a problem. It is the fastest Microsoft Windows OS, this further. Of course, it is still in early phases, so it still have some bugs and holes that needs to be fixed. We will talk about this things when the final Version will be released. Okay, this are the minimal requirements:

512 MB RAM

1.5 GHz CPU

12 GB of free space on the HDD

128 VGA RAM

Optical Drive (of course, for installing it :) )

And that is it.

Here is one screenshot:

Posted Image

Well there is no doubt about it that Windows 7 looks fantastic, But if you have it looking good the speed will not be good, I would say the speed is an improvement from Vista but XP is still the fastest from the Microsoft OS product range! Its still in beta stages which is good so you just got to hope they improve the speed a little bit more to Xp standards.

I personally can't wait for Windows 7. It looks like it will be the first OS that Microsoft actually worked hard on. :) Hopefully Windows 7 will have increased stability by the final release. It seems it's already faster, which is good. Speed is a very good thing.

I still have my beta key and download of Windows 7, but I haven't bothered to get a harddrive to play with it.From some buddies that are running 7 with similar setups to mine, they say that it runs just a TAD bit slowerthan XP but thats expected with the boost in rendering. If you have a newish computer though you should beable to run Windows 7 fine by the time they come out with the polished product.

The scale of OS now is XP in my opinion is the fastest [yet to try Windows 7 Beta], Vista classed as the slowest, and Windows 7, I've been told the middle class between both XP and Vista.I read my monthly subscription to some magazine called PC PowerPlay, anyway, they benchmarked their PC against Vista, and Windows 7. Running Crysis as their benchmark, they got 45 average FPS in Vista and in Windows 7 they got around 50 FPS. This is a great increase in frames for games.Although talking about then overall performance of the OS, well I'm not sure if its faster and more efficient than XP. First reason is that the system requirements are the same as Vista, but I have been told it will run on older computers. I'll have to test W7 to definetly see the processes amount on first startup. I did this with Vista, ended up with 35 processes on startup on first install :0.

Hello all!
How does 7 fair against XP in terms of speed and memory management?

I have found that xp beats windows seven. I would say that windows seven is about 80% as fast as xp. However windows seven has a much better gui, more features and is more secure. So pick your poison, speedy but less secure, or more secure but slower.

Actually...Windows 7 Vs. Xp

Windows 98 was actually the fastest microsoft os there is. (40% faster then xp)

but its so old, and its pretty much got no compadibility with todays programmes, so unfortunately even if it is the fastest, its the oldest, and microsoft don't update it anymore.

Apart from 98, xp is definately, positively, absolutely faster then 7 and ofcourse... Vista (shivers)

my xp has 1/8th the power of my 7, and it boots up in half the speed.

my 98 has 1/5th the power of my xp, and it boots up in 12 seconds... 12 SECONDS!.

I would love to try 98 out on my 7 computer, and see how fast it would go...

est. 3 seconds.

-reply by Matthew

Windows 7 certainly is fast but after a few months it tends to slow down (at least it did for me) and I say this about the RC version - dunno how the Retail version works out, though. So for now I'd say XP is the best for speed, but this question would make more sense after a few months, when everyone breaks into Windows 7 and its speed can be tested on a fully-loaded system.

I guess with the speed getting slower it depends on how you're using it, maybe your hard drive is full and pissed with fragmentation, it's a good idea to partitioned it in the right way, it depends on the software you installed and what it does, but anyway, Windows 7 is definitely better than Windows Vista, but I guess people who are used to XP and are using older computers could stick to XP.

I really don't notice much of a speed difference on windows 7 and XP unless I'm playing games. Then it is usually windows xp that is faster but not by much. With some more patches windows 7 might be as fast.