xisto Community
adriantc

Are You For Or Against Cloning? what would be your reason?

I'd have to say I'm for it, but only in medical purposes... As mostly everyone agrees... But, I wouldn't go all the way to cloning a human being entirely... Why clone an entire human being, if you only need a heart, or a kidney? No, instead, you clone, and grow only that "part" that you need... It's much more efficient, and, well, let's face it, much cheaper, then growing a whole human being... And sadly, people first look to see the cost of something...

for whether it's natural or not... I don't know... It's a philosophical debate, and no matter how much I like to debate, I'll leave this one to the philosophers... No one actualy knows how far exactly have they gone with cloning, but it's far away from being perfect, and being fully usable for humans... Or animals for that matter... I'm not closely following that cloning subject, so I don't know of any breakthroughs...

But, it would be nice if I could get a new set of healthy lungs, instead of these asthma ones :rolleyes: mayne new set of eyes, so I don't need to wear glasses (even though they make me look cool :D) ;)

I vote for cloning, but humanity has got to be careful with it, because with great power comes even greater responsibility. There are a lot of good things that we can only imagine at the moment that can be done with cloning, but there are also a lot of bad and evil things that can be done with it. Overall cloning is great scientific progress which can only be good if handled the right way. I really liked how this subject was introduced in this thread, the nuclear technology was a great example.

I'm for Cloning for the sake of research only. I'm against entire cloning of humans. I'm firm on my stand because then it would be a facility available only to the super rich!!During my schooldays, I had a poem in my textbook titled 'Death the leveler'. It said that whovever you may be, however rich you may be, death treats everyone equally. Both the king and the pauper have to embrace death sometime or the other.But I'm for cloning of particular organs. If a baby has some congenital disorder say a punctured heart since birth, we should be able to replace it with a heart made in the labs and give the kid a new life.But if we could clone humans with ease, it could create great havoc. Imagine a much wanted terrorist is finally caught and is being executed for his crimes and the bad guys already have his replica ready to create more havoc!!! If two countries together could not catch one terrorist, he could duplicate himself and create havoc all over the world!!! And we all know all these terrorist organisations have steasy sources of income and have huge funds dedicated towards voilance!!!

Yikes. Touchy subject. :rolleyes: Cloning would be a great thing if you are referring to creating organs (such as a compatible liver, heart, skin, etc.) for transplants that can save lives. It's really not a person... just a part of a person that you would be creating. Sure, Nature never intended for us to create people, much less parts of people, but then again, Nature never intended for us to do a lot of things.Cloning actual PEOPLE, on the other hand, might make for a sticky issue. It would be interesting to bring back people from the dead, so to speak, by replicating cells from, let's say, a deceased family member and in essence giving "that" person a second chance at life. (Think of how the parents of Gage in Pet Semetary may have considered this option.) It would also be rather be strange to have multiple "selves" of someone... although there really wouldn't be much difference in the larger picture of things (each clone would be his/her own person outside of genetic identity, not a complete physical AND psychological copy), I would think that it could cause complications on a personal level to know that there are multiples of "you." Not to mention that our population as a species would climb with more mouths to feed, heads to shelter, etc.

I really don't have a true oppinion about cloning, but surely. I feel okay with it, but I have some strange beliefs, and I feel like cloning can turn into something bad, however you try it. Nature is way more advanced than our science. We cannot dare to imitate the wonders of nature without screwing something up. Just look at how ****** up the world is nowadays. But, Cloning will surely help for animal conservation procceses and medicinal research.

I am not against it, but i am not in favor because i think things should be tested a lot before cloning humans, with do not want to create one to make him suffer, so, cloning is the future, not to clone people but to clone food and organs.

i'd better be careful with my wording here... cloning is not such a simple topic as it may seem...as other people have mentioned, cloning is basically making a genetic copy of something.now, i am one person who is very interested in science, and i have been following this topic very closely. based on the information that i have gathered and my personal opinion, here are the main fors and againsts for cloning.Fors:-possibility of creating a human repair kit. This could mean elimination of donor organ rejection and regeneration of damaged tissues.-the cloning of endangered species or cloning of the DNA of extinct species - this is self explanatory-it could enable people to raise an identical child after an unfortunate death. -the ability to clone genetically modified animals. These animals could include cows that produce milk with no lactose etc.Againsts:-just because we can, does it mean we should?-cloning is against the rules of nature - in nature, no two things are meant to be the same-a very large percentage of cloning efforts end in failure (277 attempts to clone Dolly the sheep).-clones that do survive often have fatal or problem causing issues in their genes. -cloning will create a black market for stolen or discarded embryos. -cloning will stop genetic improvements to a species. This is because genetic improvements usually occur through sexual reproduction, which result in a mixing of the genes of the mother and father. now, i will move onto a more recent topic: human cloning. you may be surprised to learn that human clones already exist. these clones aren't created in labs - they are twins. twins are genetically different to their parents but are genetically identical to each otherthe prospect of human cloning, also, brings forth many arguments for and againstin my opinion, cloning is a good idea as long as it is used appropriately. maybe, we just have to wait for technologies to advance a little bit more, so governments will allow the legal research into embryonic cells and their cloning.

Notice from rvalkass:
Double post merged.
Edited by bthaxor (see edit history)

i am a FIRM believer in respecting mother nature and not messing with 'r. cloning, like alot of the other technology around today is bad news. it will come back to haunt us.we may be able to clone a shell, but we will never be able to clone a soul. there is more out there than we know. i've experienced it and i believe in it. i will never question it or mess with it.the #1 reason why we are attempting to clone is because we CAN. all other reasons are MUTE. don't let the scientists fool you when they give you their reasons of why......like it will benefit us somehow. it wont. not in the long run. in the short run, it may be exciting, but god help those who can ever support a comcept like thisi watched a movie about a year ago about 2 parents who lost their child and decided to clone this child. boy oh boy was that a mistake!

Cloning in my books is a brilliant idea! But not to such an extent where they should be an inteligent life form just make them like permentely in a coma then if someone needs organ transplants or blood transfusions their will all ways be some spare so it could increase the average life span and many more people could be saved!A brilliant idea i believe! :) Painbringer :D

I do not want cloning. Well, maybe if 200 experienced engineers/scientists work on it yeah. Otherwise it'd be weird to clone yourself if the clone turned out to be a guy with his left hand 500 pounds, head small as a baseball, and right pinky toe missing. lol

I`m for it because that would be pretty cool, like you could verse yourself at games or make him work or do chores for, like The Simpsons where Homer finds that...forgot wat its called.

Sorry timmi, I disagree with you.If you could somehow make your clone have the same mindset to actually do chores.How would you make him/her/it actually DO it?would some clones rebel?if you made them do things like that,wouldn't they be considered slaves?

I do agree in cloning as long as it is for the betterment of mankind. But, there would come a time where "innovations" will diminish the purpose of cloning, wherein it would be use for warfare and invert its true function of saving lives.