xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
RJM

Noob's View Of Trap17. The greatest flaw.

I do believe that RJM has some merit. I think the layout is somewhat confusing and not as easy to navigate as it once was. That is probably the sole reason I have stopped posting as frequently.

I think part of it is the layout. check out http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ which I think have a great layout, a 2 column layout.

I prefer the older layout. the previous one I'm sure. I think a 2 column layout would be better.

For newbies,This is called as Information contention. :D and it is haunting you cause you're interested in too many topics. Narrow down your focus and concentrate on only one topic at time, and if that category is less discussed then move to another topic where topic is discussed actively.And your suggestion for keep it simple and accessible does makes sense. But imagine the members increasing everyday so every topic that is created could lead to many sub-topics and hence if any discussion gets off-topic then once can prefer the thread where he can specifically write/read based on the topic. So sub-threads do make sense here. It's just that you need to get used to forums.My suggestion is spend some time on forums, get to know other members. then understand how to get what you want out of topic. How much you can spend on forums and how that reflects your mycents earning. again even this reply may sound like contention to you :D . So try to keep things simple in big-forum, narrow your focus to specific threads and then move to more threads.

I personally feel that with the help of a bit of common sense you can find whatever you want on this forum, besides the forum is a blessing in disguise to those who have a lot of time on their hands (take me for an example). So I cannot complain about the number of topics here, and if there were too many members and very few topics then you would have repeated responses like in the "homosexuality" topic and "Abortion" topic. So having different topics and mainly specific topic it makes it easier for members to reply to varied topics.At first I found the whole theme annoying and difficult to use but after posting a bit I found the theme really useful and efficient because I had a lot of topics/posts that I could reply to and the categories made it easier for me to find something to reply to instead of racking my own brains to find something

My contention of the site is that it is unorganized and that there are way too many Forum sections. It's time for a update, no offense, but it will help the site for good. The forum script is fine its just the fact that there are unanswered posts from over 4 years ago and thats the issue. The oldest post that would be acceptable to me would be about 1 year max, after that it would be pruned or archived or deleted. I say time for a change, but ultimately up to whoever runs Xisto.

My contention of the site is that it is unorganized and that there are way too many Forum sections. It's time for a update, no offense, but it will help the site for good. The forum script is fine its just the fact that there are unanswered posts from over 4 years ago and thats the issue. The oldest post that would be acceptable to me would be about 1 year max, after that it would be pruned or archived or deleted. I say time for a change, but ultimately up to whoever runs Xisto.

Lol yeah, I personally have a problem against all the topics that have an expiry period. But the topics that can be kept alive for a long time is fine with me. The problem with the pruning is that there are few moderators and unless the admin asks for the pruning, we cannot ask the mods to do it all alone. I also have a problem with questions asked 2-3 years ago and members either out of ignorance, stupidity or to spam the topic reply to it giving advice sometimes wrong advice.

One day, maybe we will get a chance to get rid of all the topics that are useless :lol:

Hi!While I would say that at times I've got to go to multiple forums for what I need, I wouldn't say it is excessive. If I were to post something about the new Safari 4 browser, I'd either go to Computer > Software or Internet > Web Browser since there's an overlap there. Safari 4 is both computer software and an Internet web browser. In the interest of keeping topics under the category that best defines the subject matter, I'd then post my thread about Safari 4 in the Internet > Web Browser forum.I would say that there are lots of forums here at Trap 17, but that's only because we're not a topic-specific discussion forum, such as a PHP forum or a Botany forum. You can talk about anything from UFOs to how to tie a bow-tie and that's the beauty of it - no matter what you want to talk about, you can turn to Xisto!Regards

You guys are thinking more like programmers than designers. No decent web designer would make it's user scroll that far to get to what he or she wants. It's frustrating as hell. I've resorted to just using the "View New Posts" link 99% of the time.

At least you're not on the moderator team. We have to scroll even farther to get to our forum (At the bottom).

I do agree there are a lot of forums and it takes a while to get used to, but if you take the time you'll find out that it does have a general order, and it becomes relatively easier to browse.

Since I just came across for the first time in a few months, refer to post #15, but in recent months forums have been rearranged and so it took some time to find the right forum. Of course, I am like one of the other members in that I just click view new post and then to take it a step back further I use the option to go back one week, two, a month etc and then I begin posting from there.Sure it is overwhelming, but that is why you take the time to go over the forum and see what topics are covered and stuff. However, the confusing thing would if the sub-topics were hidden and so a person isn't going to be clicking all over the place to see what forums are in that main category. Either way, best thing to do is click on view new posts and start your posting off in there and when you have the free time browse around Xisto and see what it has to offer.

I'm a n00b here and I just would like to say some of my opinions on Xisto. It was quite overwhelming at first and personally I was looking for a way to change how things looked but that doesn't seem to be an option. I just removed the shoutbox, and it looks much better without it, less bulky, but I'm wondering if i'll miss something now. I'll have to check it through the shoutbox page once in a while.I also think the similar topics thing at the bottom is usually much too big. It wouldn't be so bad if the topics were all new, but some of them are 5 years old and I'm not sure it's even worthwhile or proper etiquette to revive them from the dead. Never mind, I just figured out it stays contracted if you click the -. Atleast I HOPE it stays put.I do like the simple colour layout of the forum though. It's easy on the eyes and that means I don't mind looking at it often. Another thing I noticed is -- I have to log in to Xisto multiple times per day! I'm a member on other forums and I can't even remember the last time I actually logged in to those sites. I don't know, this could be my browser or something, but it's annoying to click on New Posts and get an error all the time from not being logged in. Is this a forum setting or is it something I'm doing wrong?All in all, you do get used to it once you find your way around. The View New Posts is what I usually use on this forum and others anyway. The funny thing is while writing this post, I solved almost all the things that were bugging me (shoutbox, similar topics). lol

I totally agree that a newbie would find it very confusing in the beginning to go to the forum he wishes - one might say that after sometime he could get accustomed to it. But in some cases this may not happen.I found a very simple solution to this confusion. Since I already know what my favourite fourms are, I press Ctrl+F and type out the name (I'm a fast typist so that's no time matter) and voila! I'm in there in a second. Now isn't that convenient?Being in such a large fourm like this is a good thing coz you feel part of a very large community and I wouldn't want the forum size to decrease at all. If possible, increase it! :(

My view of Xisto, its pretty deserted at nights, unable to answer why but most of the time i get my answers in the morning when everyone is on. That is the only downside i see to Xisto but ether than that this website is by far my favorite for help, hosting, advice, and many many more.

Hi!I've been using Trap 17 for a while, I think the ops have done a good job of removing the clutter from the ones that I read frequently. You can imagine how many entries we'd have in the Computer forums if we didn't have a Hot News forum - it keeps the marketing info away from the techie stuff.Tutorials are neatly stacked into the Tutorials forum so you know where to look if you're learning something new - you don't have to sort through a whole bunch of "Help - I have a problem" posts. And, on the flip-side of the coin, when I'm looking for problems to solve, I can just go over the threads where the author post their problems and await responses.If you're starting off, I'd suggest you start with one and then work your way to other forums that interest you.Regards,Nitin Reddy