xisto Community
Ruben

How Do You Access Google Mail? IMAP/POP3/WEB

How Do You Access Google Mail? I don't like the web version too much, but love the space, so I use IMAP for it. When on the go the web works great, but on a regular bases for me it doesn't tickle my fancy. :D:) :) You?

I dislike using IMAP because it doesn't have any of the amazing features the web version has like using labels instead of folders, and the great search algorithm used to find your messages, so at the moment I am using the web version, but I would love a dedicated gmail application that takes all the features of the web version to your desktop. Google actually has quite a few libraries to allow developers connect to google accounts. If anyone is up to helping me with it, I'd love to work on such an application.

I think it can take a bit of time to learn how to use the web version to its potential, not that I have done this yet. I agree labelling can be good but there are also a host of other apps associated with the email that I have heard others talk about. As far as productivity and work function I think it has some bonuses.I am not sure what it is about using the web interface that you find not to your liking. Perhaps you don't like any web interface for emails? I have found that using hotmail or gmail from work or remotely to be satisfactory.Now that I am a Blackberry user I don't use these as much but whilst at home I do for convenience. I think google is making an effort to provide additional software that is in the same 'package' as the email so in that sense it can be a bonus as well. Especially if you use something like Adwords or Adsense.But as a stand alone email interface I am quite happy with gmail web. Initally the labels thing and archiving slowed me down as I am used to folders. But I think one can get used to it if they usually use Outlook or Hotmail which use folders.In the end it is probably just personal preference and functionality. And for those users who have very little technical knowledge and are averse to doing simple online research (Gen Y...I don't know?) then the web interface is easy to use. Perhaps some people with more advanced technical knowledge don't like using things that have being 'dumbed down' too much.JMHOKJ

I dislike using IMAP because it doesn't have any of the amazing features the web version has like using labels instead of folders, and the great search algorithm used to find your messages, so at the moment I am using the web version, but I would love a dedicated gmail application that takes all the features of the web version to your desktop. Google actually has quite a few libraries to allow developers connect to google accounts. If anyone is up to helping me with it, I'd love to work on such an application.

Good point both of you. I guess I'm going to spend some time with the "online" version now, maybe I'll change my mind. But for the time being I love my apple mail app, for it has everything I need (including stationary). Now, galexcd, if you were to create a app just for google, I too would love that. I have no experience in the matter, but if you were, please PM me about it. :) :)

Hmm I use 3 ways listed in the order of how often I use them to access Google's Gmail:

IMAP - because I use Opera as my main browser, mail is tightly integrated w/ the browser and I have full control over the mail I recieve and I can read it instantly, unlike some addons for Firefox which only give you the first few lines or just the subject, or much worse only a notify for new mail. I believe this is great because now with the labs feature you can actually turn off receiving mail from All Mail (which is Gmails archived mail) and stop receiving the same mail message twice! This was very, very painfull before but it's good you can tweak it ?now! :)?

Browser - I use this when I'm not home, or when Opera is not on mostly because I like the management of the mail and the Gmail themes. Nothing more :)

Mobile app - I use it when I'm not home and don't a pc with internet access near me, I use my Nokia's 6300 Opera Mini browser to go to m.gmail.com or better I use the app. which now supports multiple accounts *grin* and it's really?really good.

I used to use an email client at my home computer and was using gmail account with POP3 and SMPT services, but for some time now I moved only to the Web version, because it's really really well written and easy to use, not like it was before, even though nothing to much didn't change.. When I was using an email client with POP3, being not home I still sometimes logged in through a browser to check my emails or to write some, for example being in University or at a place where I can find a computer which has an Internet connection :)Gmail is really good! the web version and all the features it offers.

I am still using the web version. I had used pop3 account before, but that was not much fun, and lacks many important features. Usually my firefox extension WebMail Notifier manages all my email accounts inlcuding my multiple gmail accounts. Now, I don't have to login using default login panel, my WebMail extension login automaticall when I start firefox and checks all the mail accounts and inform me if I have any new mails. And also it will periodically checks for new mails. So, if I got any mail or want to compose a new mail, i simply right click on the WebMail icon in firefox, then select the desired account and it will automatically login me to that mail account. It is very handy. :)

I'm Using Web & Mobile currently, i have lot of trouble with IMAP. IMAP support for our local carrier is horrible as it is in primitive for 3G and other network facilities so no IMAP for sometime. I access 90% from web browser and 10% on mobile. ( depending on travel and other phone restrictions)As twitter is banned at our workplace, i send twit from gmail :)

Is it possible to get GMail to work with Outlook express?And is there a way to go straight to my GMail without going through the 'Log in page' then the 'I'm ready - show me my account Page?'I use Firefox.Thanks

Is it possible to get GMail to work with Outlook express?

And is there a way to go straight to my GMail without going through the 'Log in page' then the 'I'm ready - show me my account Page?'

I use Firefox.

Thanks

Well yes....You can use WebMail Notifier extension in FireFox to login automatically without going throuhg the login page. Even you can check multiple accounts at a time with that extension. Install that extension and add your login details and you're ready. Thats pretty easy....try.

Coming to the Outlook express issue, yes you can use GMail in Outlook express. Go to the following link to setup your gmail account in Outlook Accessing GMail in Outlook Express

Haha, people create the weirdest topics. :) I barely use Gmail but when I use it I access it online. My internet is really slow so there are times when I can not use it at all... because my internet is, well too slow. Online is the simplest way.