xisto Community
BuffaloHelp

Free Web Hosting - Free Domain Name purchasing free domain name with myCENT

Xisto gets better and better. ROCK ON!

+1

Right now I'm so close to getting enough credits for a free domain registration for one year. I currently have 8.54, so I need only a dollar or so to get myself a free .com domain registration :lol:

I do have one questions though. I was trying to add funds to my Xisto account from my paypal, and noticed the minimum amount you can add is 25 dollars. Can you guys not put a limit on that, as I wanted to only put 3 bucks onto my Xisto Billing account.

People have asked about that minimum amount you can add before and the admins seem pretty convinced that that isn't going to change or at least not by much. I forget the reasons they gave but I too would like the minimum to be lowered because I don't think I'll ever put in more than 25 dollars at a time. I would do it more as a "I'm going to be on vacation so I need to buy a months worth of credits" type thing.

They can see your information if you don't put that in? Is it possible that they can hack into something and take that information? Is ID protection reliable?

Like bk2070 said they see it when they click the whois button but as long as you have the ID protection they can't see your information which is typically a good thing. I asked someone if there was any down side to having it and they said the only down side would be if you are selling your domain name someone might have more troblem trying to contact you. The way I see it you should always get ID protection and here they give it away for free.

Xisto gets better and better. ROCK ON!

Perfectly said. They were number one in my books before this and yet they just keep getting better and better.

Right now I'm so close to getting enough credits for a free domain registration for one year. I currently have 8.54, so I need only a dollar or so to get myself a free .com domain registration :lol:

Same here. I have been working towards getting a top level domain since the new myCent thing came out. Before I would have never been able to get a top level domain because reaching 280 credits is one thing but reaching 280 credits while losing one credit a day to hosting is another. But on this new MyCent thing it is so easy to get a top level domain name it blows my mind. Simply put Xisto rocks.

Same here. I have been working towards getting a top level domain since the new myCent thing came out. Before I would have never been able to get a top level domain because reaching 280 credits is one thing but reaching 280 credits while losing one credit a day to hosting is another. But on this new MyCent thing it is so easy to get a top level domain name it blows my mind. Simply put Xisto rocks.

Good luck~!! Hope you enjoy your website, I need just about 2-3 more dollars~!!

Sorry I worded that badly. I mean what do we name the nameserver? You said that if left blank it will be ns.computinghost.com or ns2.computinghost.com so do we name it the same as the domain name or what?

Nobody ended up answering this so I'll go ahead and do it for you.

If your hosting is with trap, use the default name server. If it is with some other host, they will give you the information that you should be using.

The default one is for Xisto's servers, which are how the domain knows where to pull your IP from.

For example, if you look at trap's 'list'(which we can not see, but it is how their server knows what addresses - like /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi - go to what) you would see like..

example1.trap17.com ../example1
example2.trap17.com ../example2
johnson.trap17.com ../johnson

And on and on. This is not the exact format, but that's a general idea of how it works.

When you point your name server to their database, it aids your domain in linking up to that list much easier. My understanding is that it cuts down on the number of domain misdirects, 404's, and so on.

Hopefully this helps you get a better view as to what the nameserver does. If it does not, it may be in your best interest to check out a few websites that explain it better. I'm pretty sure that howitworks.com has a few examples of web databases as well.

Hi BuffaloHelp. I purchased a domain yesterday. I thought I will be charged $9.99. But I was charged $11.21.$9.99 plus 12.36% service tax. totally $11.21. I have to pay $11.21 for domain every year. :lol: May be its better if you mention about service tax in the first page. That will avoid some possible confusion. ^_^

May be its better if you mention about service tax in the first page. That will avoid some possible confusion. :lol:

Service charge was not part of my purchase when I performed a purchase myself. Perhaps Velma or OpaQue made changes between the time of my purchase, making this tutorial and your recent transaction.
I will go and find out if the changes were made recently. It would have been nice if OpaQue or Velma would have informed us but then again, prices are subject to change without notice (and by that mean, they really are sticking to price changes without a warning).

Thanks xpress. I'll be in touch.

Does it mean if I transfer my credits will be converted to MyCents? There's one thing I don't like about the system. The fact that it shows everyone how much credit I have in my Mycents account. I don't appreciate that.

Does it mean if I transfer my credits will be converted to MyCents? There's one thing I don't like about the system. The fact that it shows everyone how much credit I have in my Mycents account. I don't appreciate that.

No. Your credits won't be converted to myCents. Once you register at Xisto - Support all your previous posts will be counted for myCents regardless of your current hosting credits. You can safely forget about them and move your current website to Xisto - Web Hosting.

I think, there is no need to worry about public showing of myCents, because this is not your xisto balance. These myCents are temporary...in the sense they will change every 4 to 5hrs(if you have any new posts). And if you cross 100 cents they will be added to your xistobalance and your myCent calculation will start again. So...this displaying myCents won't do any harm.
And if I remember correctly OpaQue will remove this public displaying of myCents after Xisto is completely migrated to Credit System V3. :)

I think that this is really great because now people who don't have cards or something to but the domain with can get it free. Also, I like how the number of posts doesn't determine, because I normally have a lot to say, but on some web hosts, they only base it on the number of posts you have, so inevitable it takes much longer for me to get the required number of posts. Can't wait to get my domain name. Thank a lot Xisto!

Yes the system is great, still waiting to get enough mycents to but a domain and an hosting plan, not that it's expensive and can afford it but i find it very cool, and interesting. Hope the bugs in the mycents system get fixed once and for all. Good luck earning.

But the cost of one domain is 1.99$ if we pay by godaddy and regular prices are 5$ at namecheap and godaddy so why Xisto?

Well ok Xisto is not the cheapest however if you are a young boy 13-16 and your parents don't let you use their cards on the internet Xisto is the best way to get the money to buy one. It may not be the cheapest however I think having a forum to earn money is a fantastic idea and one of the easyist ways to get money for hosting.