xisto Community
saitunes

Can Anyone Recommend A Light Linux Distro?

I'm looking for a light linux distro, but something decent, that will only run on about 128-256 ram, CPU 1.8GHz, that has office (probably open office or abiword) that won't need more than about 2-4GB hard drive. (Something like puppy linux)Just to run in an emulator. I'm asking because there might be a killer distro out there that I haven't heard of or found that someone might know about. If not puppy linux will be great for it.Thanks

Nah Ubuntu is a bit big for 2-4Gb, you would have to do a lot of trimming at the installation process to get it to fit 2-4 gigs, untop of the 1-2Gb needed
for the swap partition, however, you can get a live CD and run Ubuntu that way and don't have to worry about installing it. That way you can just run it from the computer, but the only problem is though you would have to install the emulator each time because the data would be erase the moment you shutdown linux.

I believe though that Linux Mint is small enough to put installed on your hard drive, so give that a shot and see what happens.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Ok .. there is ubuntu special version for older PC .. Kubuntu. Read more at http://www.kubuntu.org/

Also you can try Basic Linux.. this is version for small disc :)http://basiclinux.com.ru/

BasicLinux is a mini-Linux designed specifically for old PCs. It provides a slim 2.2.16 kernel, a user-friendly shell and a good assortment of utilities. BasicLinux includes a web browser, comm program, mail client, telnet client, wget, dhcp and dial-up ppp. It also includes a small-footprint GUI and is able to run remote X (via network) with as little as 4mb RAM. Version 1 was based on Slackware 3.5 with later version based on Slackware 7.1. Version 1.7 was released May 12, 2002. Version 3.50 was released May 31, 2007

Saint_Michael - but Ubuntu can change the installation folder size on hdd before linux ubuntu installation :P

@linx89:

Didn't you mean Xubuntu instead? I find Kubuntu a bit heavy on older PCs.

Also, BasicLinux running on a 2.2 Kernel... we already have 2.6 now, and the oldest "supported" is the 2.4 series :)

@Saint_Michael:

Isn't Mint a spinoff of Ubuntu Linux? Anything that uses a full GNOME installation is heavy (the same goes for KDE, obviously). That said, the XFCE edition of Mint can be given a shot, but so can Xubuntu.

@saitunes:

I would keep Puppy, if lightweightness is key! Try Damn Small Linux, too... If, for some reason you want to install Ubuntu, you can MAKE it lightweight by installing the server edition. That means that you will decide which packages to install, and do it all manually. If this isn't what you really want, then please just go ahead and use Puppy or Damn Small. Ubuntu is not meant for an emulator :) It all depends on what kind of mastery you have in Linux, you know? If you know your system well, and are comfortable in the command line, "which distro" is not a real issue, because you can easily tweak what gets installed and what doesn't.

If there are any more doubts, just reply :)

Edited by pedro-kun (see edit history)

@saitunes:

I would keep Puppy, if lightweightness is key! Try Damn Small Linux, too... If, for some reason you want to install Ubuntu, you can MAKE it lightweight by installing the server edition. That means that you will decide which packages to install, and do it all manually. If this isn't what you really want, then please just go ahead and use Puppy or Damn Small. Ubuntu is not meant for an emulator :) It all depends on what kind of mastery you have in Linux, you know? If you know your system well, and are comfortable in the command line, "which distro" is not a real issue, because you can easily tweak what gets installed and what doesn't.

If there are any more doubts, just reply :P

Damn Small Linux is damn small. I would reccomend it first for a small ditro, but you may also wanna try Arch Linux.

It gives a lot of freedom with a small package - like being completely customizable. ( Bigger than Damn Small Linux... )

Ok .. there is ubuntu special version for older PC .. Kubuntu. Read more at http://www.kubuntu.org/

Erm, no. Kubuntu is Ubuntu but with a KDE front end rather than Gnome. Xubuntu, however, runs the lighter Xfce front end, and is therefore better suited to older or less powerful hardware (although none of them are at all demanding).

Damn Small Linux is damn small. I would reccomend it first for a small ditro, but you may also wanna try Arch Linux.It gives a lot of freedom with a small package - like being completely customizable. ( Bigger than Damn Small Linux... )

I use Arch Linux myself... I just don't know how comfortable saitunes is with Linux, and that's basically why I didn't recommend Arch in the first place :) Installing and configuring Arch is not the same as installing and configuring Ubuntu. Maintaining both systems is also a bit different.

Yeah I'm not that well versed in Linux, I can install, run and do a few things, but nothing really indepth.Puppy, Damn Small linux. I might give Arch a try, see how I go. And Ubuntu is really a great Distro. I reccomend it for running on an actual PC, but as im running in an emulator I want something light that won't use too much space, so the distros i've used of ubuntu arent really an option. as great as it is.Thanks for the advice :)

Edited by saitunes (see edit history)

Ubuntu Linux would be best. Eventhough its minimum configuration requirements for RAMis above 256MB it runs pretty well on 256MB system. I am having 256 MB RAM on my system.And it won't take more than 3GB to install. You need to have more space if you want to downloadany additional softwares. But those inbuilt softwares are mostly enough. Your 1.8GHz processor isalso enough. And also you will be amazed with its user interface. Its Really very good free Linuxdistro.....try it. If you want very very light distro then consider Damn Small Linux. Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB and very very fast. You can run it from a pen drive(usb drive) or from a live cd.

Slax is the way to go. At 190mb it runs off USB or LiveCD. It is incredibly versatile and has a great community. The frugal distro comes with KDE but you can put Open or AbiWord on there.It is really great looking also. I have used them all and Slax is undoubtedely the best.

slax dot org and you're good to go

<p>Slax is the way to go. At 190mb it runs off USB or LiveCD. It is incredibly versatile and has a great community. The frugal distro comes with KDE but you can put Open or AbiWord on there.It is really great looking also. I have used them all and Slax is undoubtedely the best. </p><p>slax dot org and you're good to go </p>

I've never even heard of Slax before..

I currently use Ubuntu because it seems to be highly praised online. So far I've had no issues with it, :(

I know its not offering much new to this topic but for the original stated requirement - "light linux distro, but something decent, that will only run on about 128-256 ram, CPU 1.8GHz, that has office (probably open office or abiword)"Puppy "NOP" really rocks, i have the "wobbly" variation of this which i can customize to include OpenOffice and Abiword (actually something went wrong with Abiword installation on my system). Ubuntu is good, but you most likely wont have an easy time getting it as small as puppy.

My recommendations are :1. puppy linux2. damn small linuxBTW, yoper is also fast. Maybe you can try the slim distribution