xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
byronarnold

Is Atheism A Religion?

I don't believe atheism is a religion. I was atheist for the first portion of my college career and I didn't worship anything, I never thought about it or anything.I simply lived life the way that I thought it should be lived, without any type of religious thoughts influencing my actions. It's typical for most religions to have some sort of influence on the actions you do, because Religion would like nothing more than to control everything you do. :lol:I always thought of atheism as an escape from organized religion, because it's soooo messed up.

As rayzoredge said, the definition of religion includes "a set of beliefs." To deny this is to be unreasonable: you would be committing a logical fallacy known as "appealing to consequences." However, no matter what, there will be those who will continue being unreasonable.

Atheism is a word made to describe those without a religion. So no I do not think atheism is a religion. It can be confusing because both religion and atheism describe the same thing, a persons beliefs. But with atheism, it describes someones lack of beliefs, and not what they actually believe because they could believe in anything. Someone could also be confused by this because someones religion is their way of life, and the same would apply for someone who is an atheist.

You cannot say that atheism describes someone without a belief or set of beliefs and then go on to say that these very same people can have beliefs. We all know that an atheist has at least one belief.

Hmmm... Atheism is not a set of beliefs. It is simply the lack of a single belief, namely that of the existence of a divine, supernatural being. If atheism is a religion, then a-unicornism (Unicorns don't exist) is a religion...

Just my two cents! Peace!!!

Lacking one belief does not prove that atheism does not contain a set of beliefs. If it denies (a) divine being(s) or creator(s), then it is part of atheism; doesn't matter how it denies such (a) being(s).

Atheism is a word made to describe those without a religion. So no I do not think atheism is a religion. It can be confusing because both religion and atheism describe the same thing, a persons beliefs. But with atheism, it describes someones lack of beliefs, and not what they actually believe because they could believe in anything. Someone could also be confused by this because someones religion is their way of life, and the same would apply for someone who is an atheist.

I can't think of a more wrong thing anybody has ever said in the history of the world ever.
In the bible it states that you must NOT use God's name in vain.

How many times do you hear christians say

OH MY GOD!
For god's sake!(or if theyre awesome, for the sake of revenge)

Lots, cos it's just a saying... Just like that's just a saying. You ask god for help and nothing happens. Cos it's just a saying and God is imaginary.

Atheism is, by definition and etymology, "lack of belief in a god or a supernatural deity of any sort". Religion is, by definition, "a set of beliefs that makes up the entirety or a significant part of one's daily life". The two are not mutually exclusive.However, notice that atheism is "lack of a belief" while religion is "a belief". Although atheism could be called a "belief" by some standards, it hardly maeks up one's way of life. So I'd say, in the words of 20Q.net, "doubtful".

Atheism is, by definition and etymology, "lack of belief in a god or a supernatural deity of any sort". Religion is, by definition, "a set of beliefs that makes up the entirety or a significant part of one's daily life". The two are not mutually exclusive.
However, notice that atheism is "lack of a belief" while religion is "a belief". Although atheism could be called a "belief" by some standards, it hardly maeks up one's way of life. So I'd say, in the words of 20Q.net, "doubtful".

I must say that you just posted a great point. I never really thought of it as being "lack of a belief" before but then again, come to think of it, you're absolutely right.

But on the same token, couldn't it also be considered as a belief that he doesn't exist, thereby also being a "belief"?

I'm not really completely sure what aethism is to be honest, I only know what I have heard, which is that it is not believing in God. But that to me could be considered as believing that it is false. So I guess it really depends on how you look at the situation.

I must say that you just posted a great point. I never really thought of it as being "lack of a belief" before but then again, come to think of it, you're absolutely right.
But on the same token, couldn't it also be considered as a belief that he doesn't exist, thereby also being a "belief"?

I'm not really completely sure what aethism is to be honest, I only know what I have heard, which is that it is not believing in God. But that to me could be considered as believing that it is false. So I guess it really depends on how you look at the situation.

Atheism is NOT a Religion, and I see no reason why to believe that it is. All that nonsense is, is Christian propaganda making people believe that Atheism is somehow AGAINST their religion or God. When in fact, that couldn't be further from the truth for most of the atheists I know anyways.

Most atheists are that way because of the atrocities that they have seen befallen on millions on innocent people in the name of Religion. And this is also a view that I share.

I'd have to say that technically atheism is not a religion, as it does not fit the definition of a religion.

Religion is defined as

the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/religion
Now, to my knowledge, atheists do not have a set of religions rules/beliefs, etc. by which to adhere. Nor do they have a faith to ritually observe. Therefore, atheism isn't really a religion because it doesn't fit the basic description of: religion (which is essentially rules, beliefs, and rituals that one adheres to).

Really, the only solid belief that they could faithfully adhere to: 'God does not exist'. I don't think that qualifies atheism as a religion.
Edited by KansukeKojima (see edit history)

Atheism is, by definition and etymology, "lack of belief in a god or a supernatural deity of any sort". Religion is, by definition, "a set of beliefs that makes up the entirety or a significant part of one's daily life". The two are not mutually exclusive.

However, notice that atheism is "lack of a belief" while religion is "a belief". Although atheism could be called a "belief" by some standards, it hardly maeks up one's way of life. So I'd say, in the words of 20Q.net, "doubtful".

This doesn't hold. I'll show you why: "Theism is a lack of belief in no God or supernatural diety of any sort. Therefore theism isn't a religion." A lack of a certain belief proves nothing. And atheism does make up one's way of life. Who can they follow but a human (normally themselves)?

Most atheists are that way because of the atrocities that they have seen befallen on millions on innocent people in the name of Religion. And this is also a view that I share.

This never holds water. For atheists have been known to do the same thing and to a greater extent than any theist. Perhaps you should stop being an atheist then? Also, i don't think i haven't seen an atheist that didn't also take on this view of yours.

Religion is defined as

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/religion

Now, to my knowledge, atheists do not have a set of religions rules/beliefs, etc. by which to adhere. Nor do they have a faith to ritually observe. Therefore, atheism isn't really a religion because it doesn't fit the basic description of: religion (which is essentially rules, beliefs, and rituals that one adheres to).

Really, the only solid belief that they could faithfully adhere to: 'God does not exist'. I don't think that qualifies atheism as a religion.

As mentioned before, it is unreasonable and biased to pick one definition over the other for the sake of calling something other than what it really is. Click on that very link you have provided and tell me what definitions are the only ones given that fit atheism. If you want to take things metaphorically and literally, then we shall. As i mentioned before, who can they follow but a human? (Literal.) They observe rituals: they are intrested in arguments and ways that attempt to eliminate the belief in a deity or deities, and may be found whole heartedly supporting these arguments. (Metaphoric and Literal.) Atheism has its own denominations (e.g. Darwinism, Neo-Darwinism, etc; some even go as far as to claim that Science is part of atheism). (Metaphoric and Literal.) I'm sure there's more, but i'm not going to go through all of them.

People are taking this thread seriously? Huh.

This never holds water. For atheists have been known to do the same thing and to a greater extent than any theist. Perhaps you should stop being an atheist then

Ok, I don't want to make a fallacy of ambiguity here, so I'm going to ask what do you mean by that? Do you mean atheists make atrocities in the name of religion because that's what I'm reading and that doesn't make any sense to me.

As mentioned before, it is unreasonable and biased to pick one definition over the other for the sake of calling something other than what it really is.

This is true. However, at many times it is very pragmatic to do so, even though it'd be biased. Atheism defined as the lack of religion is a definition I'm sure many people would agree with. It is also unfair to ignore an argument that uses one definition because there are multiple definitions.
... and since when is Darwinism an atheist sect instead of a scientific argument? Or are we having another war of multiple meanings again?

Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

this is the definition of religion and one of them has atheism as an antonym. so no atheism is not a religion it's the complete opisite but like a religion it's something that a group of people believe in.

Worshiping some imaginary powerful alien from outer space and looking forward to being its slave for all eternity is bizarre. Love your family and friends, be productive, and die with a clear conscience.

putting it in such an unatractive manner is bazzar if you read into it and asked others that beleive you so would not see it that way.
Notice from truefusion:
Quotation marks are not quote BBcodes. Addressing...

This doesn't hold. I'll show you why: "Theism is a lack of belief in no God or supernatural deity of any sort. Therefore theism isn't a religion." A lack of a certain belief proves nothing. And atheism does make up one's way of life. Who can they follow but a human (normally themselves)?

What I mean by "it doesn't make up their entire lifestyle", is that not every single nitpick of your life is defined by "the nonexistence of a deity" if you are one, while if you really want to be a Christian, every single nitpick of your life should be determined by God. (Yes, every single nitpick. I remember the Bible saying somewhere, give yourself up entirely to God. I'll find a quote for you sometime.)

I also made the point that it could be called a "belief" by other people, to describe those steadfast atheists who actually have a firm implantation in their minds, not unlike that of extremely devout Christians, that there is no God. That would actually count as a belief, and those people are "religious" atheists.

[1:1]Do you mean atheists make atrocities in the name of religion [1:2]because that's what I'm reading and that doesn't make any sense to me.

[2]Atheism defined as the lack of religion is a definition I'm sure many people would agree with. [3:1]It is also unfair to ignore an argument that uses one definition [3:2]because there are multiple definitions.

... [4]and since when is Darwinism an atheist sect instead of a scientific argument? Or are we having another war of multiple meanings again?

[1:1]I do.

[1:2]Only because you don't see atheism as a religion. (See number 2 in the quote.)

[2]Everyone agreeing on it doesn't necessarily make it established in the same sense as that in a dictionary. Also, as we have so seen, to accept that kind of definition to the word "atheism" is to accept a definition that is contradictive to certain definitions of the word "religion," therefore making it unreasonable.

[3:1]Are you accusing me of this or speaking in general? If the former, could you point out which ones i did not address head on and why it is not head on so that i may address it head on?

[3:2]Is it perfectly fair and reasonable to exclude definitions from the word "religion" that is in complete contradiction to the belief in the inexistence of a deity or supreme being?

[4]In what way does Darwinism allow for the possibility of a deity? If life can form without a deity, how would it be reasonable to accept that their is a deity?

[...] this is the definition of religion and one of them has atheism as an antonym. so, no, atheism is not a religion, it's the complete opposite, [1]but like a religion, it's something that a group of people believe in.

Just like many other words, so does the word "religion" contain more than one definition. Also, you mention that only one source has the word "atheism" marked as an antonym to the very definition that which you quoted. In what way does that not make sense? Shouldn't everyone be expecting that given the definition you have so picked? The definition which you limited the word "religion" to deals with a supernatural being. Of course the word "atheism" is going to be an antonym to it. Consider considering things as a whole.

[1]And that is similar to my argument.

[1]What I mean by "it doesn't make up their entire lifestyle", is that not every single nitpick of your life is defined by "the nonexistence of a deity" if you are one, while if you really want to be a Christian, every single nitpick of your life should be determined by God. (Yes, every single nitpick. I remember the Bible saying somewhere, give yourself up entirely to God. [2]I'll find a quote for you sometime.)

[3]I also made the point that it could be called a "belief" by other people, to describe those steadfast atheists who actually have a firm implantation in their minds, not unlike that of extremely devout Christians, that there is no God. That would actually count as a belief, and those people are "religious" atheists.

[1]Every single nitpick for an atheist would exclude a deity, or else they wouldn't be called an atheist. Therefore they'd follow what they have set up for themselves; they are the judge of what they accept, not a deity. Atheism is the way of life for an atheist.

[2]Heh. How about the first commandment out of the two greatest commandments? I am one that studies the Bible, you need not go to the trouble of obtaining a verse. Albeit, a believer does not need a command, it would come naturally.

[3]Any atheist that doesn't have a firm belief, in the inexistence of a supreme being, would not be called an atheist. Therefore making all atheists "religious atheists."

Think of it as this Athiesm and Thiesm are not religions they are words to descibe someones belief in God.A religion is defined from a cult simply from the no. of members. So someone could in theory start a cult which has a set, set of beliefs (but doesn't believe in god.) This is an athiest cult (not a religion) if a large percentage of the population of the earth believe in this cults ideas and start following them then it will become a religion.also you say it does have a set of beleifs because it believes god does not exist.. well no because thats what the word means, if you believe that then you can believe that pro life is a religion or pro choice etc.but that does not make atheism a religion it would make this set of beliefs a religion.So i say it is not a religion! I believe what makes sense to me, not what makes sense to other people.

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

Ahh.... I must agree with Kobra there.... lets think about it this way:

Theism is not a religion. Therefore Atheism (the a means not), means not theism. Now, since Theism isn't a religion, I don't think we can call Atheism a religion, since it is derived from Theism....

No , Never . The fact is that there is no religion in todays world, God did not create religion , it is man who created that ,and to be in particular Christianity too is not a religion it is a realtionship between God and the individual, it is that realtionship what makes a person Christian or not and it is not the Religious Title , many often people ( including me) in that relationship but it is because of his Unchanging Love an mercy that we are able to restore that Relationship,When we fall down his mercies are there to pick us up,So please NO ATHESIM