xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
byronarnold

Is Atheism A Religion?

I don't really classify myself as an Atheist, however I do meet the definitions term.

As far as the original posters question, I personally think it's obvious that it is not a religion.

Atheism - a: a disbelief in the existence of deity b: the doctrine that there is no deity

Religion - a: the service and worship of God or the supernatural

How could Atheism be considered a religion if it doesn't follow the definition. :D

No atheism is not a religion. It is simply a lack of belief in a super natural entity called God. Atheists can have varying beliefs and opinions regarding every other aspect of life.Theism, is also not a religion. It is simply a belief in the existence of God.Religion is a set of concepts, beliefs and practices, usually centering around the idea of God. It is a tool for social governance, so it contains rules about what to do and not do, and punishments for those who disobey the rules.It is possible to have a religion without believing in God - for example Buddhism is a atheistic religion. It is also possible to believe in God without subscribing to any religion. Many people want to believe in the existence of a super natural entity who is responsible for creation and sustenance of the world, but don't want to follow the descriptions of God in the religious scriptures.----------------- ADMIN REPLY -------------The concept of beleiving in God is pretty easy to understand.God Qualities= Good, Bright, Omnipresent, wisdom, Calm, Alert etc.Most of these good Qualities can blossom easily in childs mind because he has no "responsibility".Responsibility gives EGO because you UNDERTAKE a TASK. Your mind gets fixed on getting it done and getting it RIGHT. Basically, ANYTHING that relates to "You" has to DISTORT your mind. Your mind itself does not know for sure who it really is. If it is good, why does it like BAD things? If its bad, then why it sometimes sides Good things.TO GET away from ALL this "MIND" questions and to rise above the level of GOOD and BAD. You have to jump / concentrate to an entity which is NOT "you" or "your mind". Lets call this "X".X -> your best lovers smile, your mom's caring voice ... any "thought" that can assure you, "its gonna be just fine.. everything is alright as it is."Usually People call this ENTITY ... GOD.By Deep Devotion to GOD, people do not waste energy in random thoughts but channelize all the energy at a single thought called "GOD".This gives a RISE in their consciousness or you can say "MORE FOCUS".MORE FOCUS = Intelligence in -detail- .. basically means HIGHER intelligence.= You are at a BETTER position to DEFINE/SOLVE the above question which is MORE of a FEELING/REALIZATION than an entity which can be ARGUED by 100 million people in 100 million ways.

A quick definition for religion, found on Google is:

a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality"

Now, let me clear this up: I'm an atheist, I don't believe in god or any supernatural powers that control human destiny. Being atheist implies that you do not believe in what religion does, so atheism definitely cannot be called a religion! Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Have a nice day, Freedom Overdose

Atheism is not a religion because : Definition of religion - a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects1) An atheist does not hold a set of beliefs, he acts on his own accord on the basis of situation.2) Every atheist is different, has a different moral code, a different belief about the purpose of this world.As they don't have a consistent practice, nor are they similar in any particular way except by co-incidence, atheism can not be considered a religion.

I wouldn't say that Atheism is a religion. Its just a word used for people that don't believe in any made-up form of god. Thats just the way I look at it. I don't believe in a god, therefore I am an atheist. Religions are more like an organisations of similar beliefs, if that makes sense.

athiesism is definetely not a religion. its like saying darkness is a form of light. there total opposites. darkness is the lack of light and athiesism is the lack of religion.

I suppose I am an atheist. I would definitely say that is it an religion. It would rather be that I do not care at all and just live my life without a religion. Do I need one? Nah. I believe in what I can see, feel or prove. People always tell me "Yeah, but you can not see the air and it is still there." WELL I can feel it. You know what wind is? Exactly. :lol: If people ask me I have a religion I will probably answer no or say that I am a atheist. Some of my friends can not eat pork or cows - but in general most people here are like me. No religion... works just fine. Easy.

Of course atheism is classified as a religion, i see no reason for it not to be.

they beleive what happened, and have a theory of the afterlife

Atheism is the lack of "theism", or a beleif in god

The degree to which one can be considered an atheist while simultaneously being and adherent of a sect of a traditionally monotheistic, polytheistic, or non-theistic religion is the subject of ongoing theological debate. Some people with what would be considered religious or spiritual beliefs call themselves atheists; others argue that this is a contradiction in terms.

Thanks for reading

Notice from truefusion:
All copied material must be placed within QUOTE bbcode

"Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color."

That was a very funny description and I totally admit. :lol: In my opinion atheism is a way that lazy, unsatisfied people use to believe to explain their accidents or their shares in life. People who loose their nearest persons try to convince themselves that no God exists because they cannot explain their loss or deprivation. I believe this is the cause many people switched to this pseudo-religion I guess. Human nature is created and needs the help of Someone, and this has spiritual meaning.

There are lots of people, saying that there is no God, just because they don't see Him. They become sarcastic when telling you, if you meet the God. These are things that led the world to degradation and degeneration. Atheism is denying that there is a God, and therefore negating to be a religion and rules to obey the God,and so on, no spiritual or moral rules will ever exist and people will be free to do immoral things in a unscrupulous way. If religion exist there will be life still in earth I guess. And when people try to make immorality so open and in the middle of the day, in the middle of the people and without being ashamed...that's some sign that Apocalypse is near, or The Final Day.

I don't know how people can believe to atheism and how can't they see, that everything around is is so perfectly built so that no such a human hand can do.

There are lots of people, saying that there is no God, just because they don't see Him. They become sarcastic when telling you, if you meet the God. These are things that led the world to degradation and degeneration. Atheism is denying that there is a God, and therefore negating to be a religion and rules to obey the God,and so on, no spiritual or moral rules will ever exist and people will be free to do immoral things in a unscrupulous way. If religion exist there will be life still in earth I guess. And when people try to make immorality so open and in the middle of the day, in the middle of the people and without being ashamed...that's some sign that Apocalypse is near, or The Final Day.

awww cmmon you can't possibly believe that!

Good will exist even w/o God. I can take myself as an example.

Being an atheist isn't a religion.It's being a non-entity in many ways,although one can be spiritual without being religious. That means having faith in a non organized way.One can't say theres anything organized or spiritual about being an athiest.