xisto Community
byte

What Program Do You Use To Design Your Web? Frontpage, Dreamweaver, a good text editor?

How could you possibly recommend Dreamweaver all of you, it is VEEERY pricey and its extremely difficult to use for the begginer. You shouldn't possibly recommend MS FrontPage because it makes the site look allright only in IE (YUK!) and it looks very stupid.

You should start learning HTML and CSS and use a simple Text editor w/ syntax highlight and that means NOT NOTEPAD . I recommend Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/ for Win and Gedit for Linux, and I don't know whats available for Mac :)

OR, you could use a CMS like Worpdress (https://wordpress.org/), Movable Type (https://movabletype.org/), Joomla or I don't know, whatever suits you...

I use Dreamweaver alot since i have PC and Mac at home.miladinoski, Dreamweaver isnt expensive if bought standalone and if you have a reasonable budget. Also, notepad++ is really good too :), isnt as bloated as Dreamweaver. Recommended for beginners or hobbyist.

I'm not a real web designer, but whenever I want to get a piece of HTML code done, I just use Wordpad (plain text, like Notepad without seeing those squared characters instead of the breaklines). They're just fine, and do the work great, specially combined with Firefox + Web Developer add-on. It's very easy, once you get used to it.For PHP, I use a program called PHPEditor, which highlights the pieces of code (quite useful) and is really simple.

Edited by andresf91 (see edit history)

How could you possibly recommend Dreamweaver all of you, it is VEEERY pricey and its extremely difficult to use for the begginer.

I was a beginner when I started using Dreamweaver CS3. It's one of the easiest ways to start learning html and CSS. I did it by keeping the view in split so that whatever I do in the design mode, I see how the Dreamweaver generates the code.

I recommend Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/ for Win

I started using NP++ last year for various things and just fell in love with this thing. Now it's my default application for .ini, . inf, .txt and many others.

I just use Wordpad (plain text, like Notepad without seeing those squared characters instead of the breaklines).

Did you know that a Microsoft tool is usually the wrong tool for a job?

Nowadays I tend to use Dreamweaver as it let's you edit in both design and code modes. I would only reccomend it for moderate to advanced users though as it can be quite expensive and may contain alot of features that are just too hard to use.I used to use a little known program called Namo Web Editor when I was just beginning, although I don't know what it's like now as I haven't used it in a few years. Plus I think it was made here in Australia so it might be a little hard to track down.The other option (which is probably the cheapest too) is to use the web design software from coffeecup, I've used it a little in the past and recommend it to mates that are just starting. It's unbelievably easy to use and you can purchase extra software like flash creators which are just as easy to use, and they're pretty cheap too.Hope this make things a little easier for youRegardsMatty

I think that FrontPage is more suitable for kiddy kiddies. Microsoft Corp. never ever will learn to respect its costumers. The same things is valid with Windows! Like they all want to code for illiterate people!I prefer DreamWeaver. Great software. It is designed both easy to use and flexible with a lot of help resources installed. Comparing FrontPage with DW is like to compare MS Movie Maker with Liquid Purple!

I know this sounds stupid, but most of the things i do, I just use notepad!I dont like using WYSIWYG editors, because I find they over complicate the code.And I dont like using code highlighting software, or code editors with "add ins" as they distract me from the workings of the code.Also, when was the last time (under reasonable conditions) you saw notepad crash?

I use dreamweaver cause it makes me work my design a lot easier and faster. Especially there new versions the CS3 and CS4. I also like there so called Spry framework which makes you creating dynamic content and effects faster... thanx to dreamweaver for making the work of a web developer and designer more easier... :lol:

Well I myself haven't used Front page but some say to me that it is a little easier then Dreamweaver although Dreamweaver is much more powerful. I have Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 but I don't actually use it that much. I have tried a draw things with it and find it really complex but I am a noob with coding so I'll use that excuse. I've seen some Dreamweaver designs and they are really good! But designing web pages isn't really my thing.