xisto Community
PinQ

Gmail Or Hotmail Gmail vs Hotmal

What's better Gmail or Hotmail??  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

However, all of you folks that say gmail is faster, it's not for me. I have 7% of my inbox filled, and it goes pretty slow.

my inbox is 22% full and it loads in like 2/3 seconds. im on 1mb broadband connection though, so i dont know about you.

btw, there are either 2 MS employees in this thread, or 2 morons, according to the poll ;)

Gmail is the best. I've been using it for a while, and it rocks. I abandoned Hotmail after years of service, and that's because Gmail wins. No competition. Loads of features, and the disk space you get should be enough to convert you. If anyone's interested, I've got 18 invites ready to go. lol and someone even voted for Hotmail!! Ha Ha!! Funny stuff. Needs an emoticon. ;) How could Hotmail POSSIBLY be better? 2mb storage space? Bye Gatesey!

Gmail is certainly better... there is no "Microsoft" on it, there is 1gb of free space, you have to be invited ;)... and it's getting better while it's in beta...Hotmail is worst... there is "microsoft" on it, there is only 10mb (I guess) of free space.P.S.:You don't need to have a hotmail/msn to use MSN Messenger!!!

my inbox is 22% full and it loads in like 2/3 seconds. im on 1mb broadband connection though, so i dont know about you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, you guys are actually right. I don't check my mail too often because I'm lazy like that and I hated how slow it was, but it could've just been one time or something. I went and checked my mail yesterday and it was super fast. I was like o_O And I finally got to answer all those people who go like "HEY! You're ignoring me!" >_>' Ah well, now Gmail is better except for the emptying spam thing. ^_~

Gmail in my opinion wins hands down. Hotmail seems to go down a lot and is full of bugs. Gmail so far has been working perfectly, plus with gmail you do get that whopping 1GB space. However, it would be good if you could attatch a file larger then 10mb. If either of these two were to do that though i bet their servers would go down. Hotmail is also cluttered with ads which doesn't make it that nice. However, Gmails ads are relatively un-obtrusive and also are relevent to your email message, so they can be useful.

Personally I like the Hotmail user interface better than Gmail's. It looks nice even with many many e-mails. It's eye pleasing. Gmail looks a little ugly with many e-mail inbox in your inbox. Feature wise Gmail wins. You just try it and you will know. But I will still vote for Hotmail because it is more developed as a web mail and is more integrated. Gmail is good but it will still be a long way before Gmail can catch up with MSN. Furthermore, more people use MSN messenger to talk. You can also be alerted of any new mail. For Gmail, I know there is a Gmail desktop notifier. I am using it too. But the only thing it does is to inform you of new mail but it takes up a certain amout of system resources. MSN messenger is more effecient. I am currently using Gmail along with my MSN account. The only reason when I will totally switch to Gmail is when it is more integrated into the web as not just web mail but a communication tool. (E.g MSN Messenger)I'll go for Hotmail. But still, work hard Gmail team. You still rock!

Edited by Shackman (see edit history)

Personally I like the Hotmail user interface better than Gmail's. It looks nice even with many many e-mails. It's eye pleasing. Gmail looks a little ugly with many e-mail inbox in your inbox.

Feature wise Gmail wins. You just try it and you will know. But I will still vote for Hotmail because it is more developed as a web mail and is more integrated. Gmail is good but it will still be a long way before Gmail can catch up with MSN. Furthermore, more people use MSN messenger to talk. You can also be alerted of any new mail. For Gmail, I know there is a Gmail desktop notifier. I am using it too. But the only thing it does is to inform you of new mail but it takes up a certain amout of system resources. MSN messenger is more effecient. I am currently using Gmail along with my MSN account. The only reason when I will totally switch to Gmail is when it is more integrated into the web as not just web mail but a communication tool. (E.g MSN Messenger)

I'll go for Hotmail. But still, work hard Gmail team. You still rock!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry mate, but ive gotta disagree with just about everything youve just said!!

gmail looks a lot better than hotmail - its simple and its not cluttered with ads all over the place. but i guess thats opinion.

you can also use your gmail with msn messenger, all you need to do is get a .net passport for it.

you can also set up messenger to check your gmail for you as well. i havent actually tried (i use gmail notifier) but wht u need to do is get msgplus. then u need to enable POP access for your gmail (thats something hotmail doesnt give btw).

i hear what your saying about the integration, but what does gmail have to integrate with?

Yeah, none of this accidentally clicking on the giant ads that take up most of the space with hotmail... I even have a look at the ads in gmail 'cause they're often applicable to what I'm currently thinking about...Someone offered me a gmail account about 6 months ago, and I nearly turned them down... thank God I didn't. It loads faster, I can search it, I can organise my folders, automatically forward, etc... etc... if there's a feature not there, I can request it, and if they like the idea, they'll add it... Gmail wins hands down...

I would have to say Gmail hands down because of several reasons. Gmail has much more space where I can store my attachments which may include pictures, slideshows, downloads and I can store my regular e-mail. We are talking about 1 GB of space which is plenty. Gmail also has really good spam protection and knows which e-mail is spam and what is good. Gmail also has POP3 and you can use a Google inbox search if you are looking for a specific message and don't want to look for it manually.I used to use Hotmail but I had a problem with spam and my inbox would get filled kind of easily. Now with Gmail I know I have enough space to store a lot of stuff. There are still Hotmail users out there that think Hotmail is better than Gmail and that is fine by me. :rolleyes:

Gmail also has POP3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And POP3 is useful because...? It entirely defeats the purpose of gmail... a huge amount of storage where you never need to delete anything... if you're downloading it to your computer, it's no longer in your inbox... so, POP3 is really no bonus.

I thought you could download your emails from your Hotmail account as well through Outlook? - and as dexter said, POP3 defeats the purpose of Gmail.I love my Gmail, the only thing I would have against it is how Google can store your email even after you've deleted it. Even though they have an extensive privacy policy, it wouldn't do any important transactions on it (but I guess you wouldn't on Hotmail either seeing how it gets hacked).As for loading/space/functions - Gmail wins hands down, my Hotmail has just become a spam box.

And POP3 is useful because...?  It entirely defeats the purpose of gmail... a huge amount of storage where you never need to delete anything... if you're downloading it to your computer, it's no longer in your inbox... so, POP3 is really no bonus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can choose to let the mail stay in your GMail inbox if you want to. You don't have to remove it from the gmail server. Say you want to do some batch saving of emails for some reason or other, you might want to use an email client to download all your mails, instead of copy/pasting them individually :rolleyes:

Hotmails mail fetching only works with Outlook, nothing else.