xisto Community
A200

How Many Languages Can You Speak?

Macedonian,English and now i am gonna go on japanese course.I know only few words and i know what Mitsubishi means :) I know what Yama means etc. I think this course will be good and i will learn something.Maybe next year i will go and learn german and that is all.I know few words on italian but i am not learning it.When i don't know something i will ask...

Hindi GujuratiMalayalamEnglishSpanishJapaneseI'm taking a course in Japanese right now like TheDarkHacker, so no I'm not a pro, but I think I'll get there... some day. And boy do you learn to appreciate the alphabet when you learn a language that uses Hiragana (50ish characters?), Katakana (50ish characters for the same sounds), and Kanji (LOTS MORE, for ideas rather than words...) T_TKanji honestly scares me out of my wits.

I think I wrote the languages I know in some different topic on Xisto forums, but I can say I know these languages:Lithuanian as my mother tongueEnglish as my secondary languageAlso I can understand and speak Russian quite well, but don't know anymore how to read normally or write.I had 4 years of German language class, but as for some years and didn't speak to much, I'm quite pathetic on it, but in Germany I could communicate a little, was there several times.I can understand and talk basic Polish, but am not interested in learning it.Not interested in learning more languages, as I don't really travel to much, once a year maybe sometimes once a two year, even though for several years now I visit different Europe union country at least once.

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

Hindi Gujurati
Malayalam
English
Spanish
Japanese

Wow... how do you honestly learned to speak, read and write so many languages at once? I can only speak, read and write in two languages fluently, English and Chinese (chinese in both the main beijing putonghua way and a certain cantonese dialect), and I am currently learning Japanese at school and I know tres un peu francais (a little french), but six languages... wow... you are now officially my idol from now on... :-/

Seriously... I want to my multi-lingual, and considering that I am bilingual and maybe, hopefully would be tri-lingual one day, I consider myself as pretty good and well educated... but you!!! Six languages!!! How did you learn and do all that!? Teach me, and I will follow you forever... hahaha.

Hmm so a guest replied to this topic which has been idle for almost two years and we have a lot of new replies :D Oh well I might as well join in then...

These are the languages that I am fluent in as of now:

Telugu

Hindi

English

The first one is my mother tongue and I leaned the other two from school and movies :)

these are the languages that I can understand but not speak (yet):

Tamil

Bangla

Japanese

Spanish

Ok so literally speaking I speak three languages, but can understand seven :( Learning languages is good fun and I'm always ready to try and learn more about new languages. Presently I'm trying to improve my skills in those four languages, but my special attention is towards Japanese, because it's simply fascinating!

Kanji honestly scares me out of my wits.

Lol yeah a lot of people say that - learning almost 2000 characters/symbols just to use in daily life is a really tough job. I've learned around 200 kanji till now and I started six months ago. That's actually pretty slow but time is to blame for that :D I'm hoping to take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) next year so that I may reach some level in my training! :D

Indonesia - My Prior Language, English (just like it), and some Java (not so good, dont really like it, and it is NOT that "Java" in your pc lol )well, i can speak those language, but for some reason, i dont want to speak (mouth) in other language than indonesia. i only use the others when i really have to (school exam, tourist, etc). i can write these english paragraph, but dont expect me that i will say it like the way i write it :)

Edited by FouGilang (see edit history)

India is a very diverse country. Staying in any part of India will get you well exposed to at least 2 languages. The trick with me was that I was in a part of India that spoke Hindi and Gujurati, but my family spoke Malayalam (ethnically), so that's 3 languages already. Then in the Indian schooling system, I learned to speak and write English, which only improved once I moved to the States. And here, I learned fluent Spanish, and now I'm learning Japanese. Language is a cool little thing, especially when you learn them from different parts of the globe, as they tell you a lot about how the people there approach communication.

Well if you say that strictly in terms of how many languages you learned and fully versed with.I have familiarity with a dozen language but I am complete with three languages namely, Bengali English and Hindi.Now as for my native vernacular language, I did not do any formal schooling and am not so keen either to sty further in that. However English and Hindi are some thing that I had to learn from my school an d coaching s and am sure that there may not be another in my town that is better than me in both of them.

Come to think of it, there are a few languages that people term them as dialects. For me, they are languages. I dont understand why people call them dialect instead of language. Anyone can shed some lights?

Come to think of it, there are a few languages that people term them as dialects. For me, they are languages. I dont understand why people call them dialect instead of language. Anyone can shed some lights?

They are probably referred to as a dialect because they branch off of a main language (e.x. in Spain their are different conjugations of commands than in Mexico, but it is still considered the spanish language).

i can speak fluent Swedish and fluent English, since i'm native Swedish i naturally understand Finnish and danish very well, learning English was the best thing ever.