xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

New Custom Bbcodes Called [google] [define] [imgalign] to help you better format your posts

Hello Xisto members,

After much needed tests we are happy to introduce 3 more bbcodes (yeah~). I know, I know it's not that exciting. My observation is that some tutorials involving graphics may need IMGALIGN to add an extra personal touch to your own. Furthermore, to help and serve members in general, GOOGLE and DEFINE were also added to aid the reply process--if there is any :D

The first is GOOGLE

Using this bbcode is simple. To suggest searching a keyword or phrase simply type the following code in a post.

[google]Free Web Hosting, No Ads[/google]
and it will show

search:Free Web Hosting, No Ads

Notice that the phrase trails the prefix search: to alert the reader that the link will demonstrate the search results.

The next is DEFINE

Whether to search words or phrases online definition have replaced most of spell checks built into a software. This bbcode is nothing new but a mere shortcut to better present your discussion--I hope. Again, the usage of this bbcode is simple that,

[define]plethora[/define]
will show

define:plethora

As with the previous bbcode tag, this will show suffix of define: followed by a word or a phrase. There is a fault to a long phrase: since the definition service is provided by google not every phrase may show. This is not the limitation of the bbcode tag but google's define application. As suggested in this post by serverph, Wikipedia search would be more accurate. However, my limited coding ability seems to be the obstacle. If anyone can contribute how to utilize Wikipedia with IP.B forum please feel free to post :P

I had a choice of using google or dictionary.com. At the end, google won my pondering hours since we all love the mighty google. Besides, I wouldn't think everyone would appreciate annoying pop-ups that dictionary.com sticks to your browsing experience.

The last, but not the least, is IMGALIGN

I had a bit of trouble with CSS (jlhaslip wasn't there :P) aligning. And although I have managed to show properly, the result is far less than perfect.

Usages are as follow:

to align a picture to the left

[imgalign=left]full image URL (just like [img] tag)[/imgalign]
to align a picture to the right
[imgalign=right]full image URL[/imgalign]

To see these bbcodes in demonstration, please see this thread Bbcode Testing Zone. You obviously can see that somehow my post is out of forum's format.

Thank you.

Thanks! These new BBCodes should come in handy. Are you thinking about adding YouTube or Google Video BBCodes? I personally don't like those ones and they also might make the loading of the topic/post slower (especially on my aincent computer). Love them!

Nice,The bbcodes are definitely gonna be a good addition to the already good bbcodes. Where do you OpaQue and you find just meaty products for the members?Anyway Thanks a lot for the good contribution and I hope the members like it.Velma

Thanks for the new bbcodes! About the wikipedia code, the code wouldn't be like this, would it?

<i>lookup:<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/{content}" title="{content}">{content}</a></i>

And for wikitionary:

<i>lookup:<a href="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/{content}" title="{content}">{content}</a></i>

Where {content} is what you type between the opening and closing tags.

This is a nice tool, especially if you are talking about an unnkown topic in the "What Is" section, and instead of having to explain everything you can just have hte links that lead to the definition or will search it for people. Image Align will help also for comparing two images and you want to place them right next to each other and what not as well as make your tutorials look nicer as already stated. It may take me a few tries to get it right but once you memorize the code it's nice and simple. Good work!

Regarding wikipedia;The little quirkiness with wikipedia is that it does not suggest other words/phrases if it's not among its database entry--meaning it does not suggest a correction if you misspell or mistype.Where as google define would suggest different spelling as a form of "do you mean..." so the likelihood of searching for the relevancy is in higher odds.

I love the new bbcodes,the "google" bbcode will help in getting our articles noted by google as well as help the readers learn more by searching about them.the "define" will be really very useful when we use a lot of technical jargons that noobs do not understand.thanks a lot for adding them

These new bbcodes are great, we will never have to say "let's google this", this will be a new direct method. :D And the image align is awesome, I've never seen that on a forum, congratulations for developing it.

Google code will help. Especially when telling someone to search for things.