xisto Community
velma

Have You Ever Lied Online? Tell me why people would lie online

Online, I lie only when it threatens my security. The furthest I ever go is the state that I live in, and my age. Nothing more.When I'm chatting, I sometimes put a funny name on the chatrooms so people dont know who I am (Different from their forums, account name, etc).I never lie about what I'm doing online, though. Lets say I have a friend that needs me to edit something or improve their webpage. Im always honest about that. If I did lie about these things, the other person would keep asking questions, and I'd have to come up with realistic answers. Sooner or later though, I'll run out of answers, and I'll lose my integrity online ^^

Hey,
I just want to see how many people have lied online. You can give your reasons why you lied.... I totally agree that I lie on the net but it is for my security like age,name and location.

I used to when I used to chat online but now I dont answer the question itself.

Ever heard of people writing lies on the net to make themselves feel better and look more "heroic".

Once I had made a fake id so that I could talk to people without them realizing who it was that they were talking to. Many days passed without any incidents but then came a really great day when one of my friends came online and accepted my invitation to chat with him. I thought I would just screw around with him and then just tell him the truth but to my amusement and horror

That guy lied to me about his location,age and the fact that was the funniest was that he made himself the lead guitarist and singer of a band that was leaded by a family friend of mine.
That was hilarious but very disappointing though. What if the person in front of you is nice but then lies like crazy to make himself/herself look superior or something of that sorts???????

I think you have to lie about some things online. I mean if you don't, people can easily steal your identity, or een worse find your exact location and do some damage to you. I can say that I have lied about many things online. I haven't lied about things to make myself look cooler, but things like age, sex, address, ect I have. I think that if you are being 100% honest online then you're being stupid and naive. You really cannot assume that being online and being honest is 100% safe, because it's been shown in many difference cases that it's the complete opposite.

If you don't want someone to know something, say so. I've learned that and have turned out good results. I used to lie all the time online. Back then, if someone wants to ask my name, or my pic, I'll make up something based on what I find online.......Nowadays, I just tell a straight-faced no......Be honest if you don't want your personals known. Its the simplest way to keep your personals private....

Yes. I am lying right now.

Ah, touché. ^_^
Anyway, I can't remember openly lying online any more so that I would to someone I know personally. My general opinion is "why bother?", as although there are times that you have a choice between lying or denying someone information (your real name, for example), if I don't want someone to know my real name I'll simply say that I rather they didn't know it.

Sure, it's a trust thing in some respects, but if you know someone well enough that you'd trust them with information that you wouldn't give out to most, then there's no need to lie to either them (because what's the point?) or to others (as then you're dishing out conflicting information that could full well emerge to bite you in the "posterior" in the future).

The only time I could vaguely understand someone lying online is about age. A fair number of sites that are deemed to have age-restricted content (such as sites about 18 rated (or some other equivalent) games or films) have forms where you need to fill in your birthday to show that you're old enough to view the pages. In my opinion, there's a subtle difference between lying to someone and lying to a site, but meh. That said, I've never done it, as I'm old enough to legitimately look at pretty much anything I want. :lol:

Who hasn't lied on-line tell me? :D?I guess probably everyone who has made an on-line life lies just even a bit about what's happening to him or what are his interests etc. I mostly don't keep secrets (as you can see on my profile page on this forum) because I think that if you don't lie, people will trust you more (and that's generally a good thing) and you'll be more respected and if they have at least a little common sense in them they won't lie to you either :angry:I lie only on scammy looking websites looking for my name and address from where I live and give them false details and I guess you won't believe me, but I lie more IRL than on-line and I guess that's why I make more friends on-line than in my real life :lol:As some of you as I have read in here said, if I want to test if a friend lies to strangers, I usually make a false account and give it a false name and then I introduce to my friend and ask him things to see if he'll lie, or sometimes I even use the original account to annoy him and ask him with the "fake" account what is he doing and tell him that: "I am being annoyed by a friend right now, and you?" and see if he'll say bad things about me. Try the strategy, it'll work it's guaranteed :angry:That reminded me, I am lying this whole reply including this sentence ^_^

Anyone who said the he/she never ied online is probably saying a lie. All my experiences withthe chatting and social networking has been on lies. The false identities thet we created while chatting were a great timepass and we would do it for hours togather, nonstop.

People lie online mostly to hide their identity. Thats it what I think net is not the safest place to reveile your identity and you may be at risk for that as we have overcome many such stories of cheating etc. So due to such a risk people lie online mainly to hide their identity.?

No, I never give lies! If I simply don't want to answer it, I don't answer it. Easy as that. Yes, I am really a geek who likes web design. If you ask me my age, I'm not going to lie, I just won't say. >_> I have a friend who when doesn't want to give info, will lie, then write it down. Yes, write it down. If you know him, he's the guy who takes ten minutes when you ask him a lie he made. This way no one can say he was lying. Weird: yes; strange: yes; smart: what do you think? lol

There was only one time I lied online. I was a hired mercenary hired to over throw the corrupt Abatha government.Me and the rest of our unit stormed the presidential palace andgot a complete surrender from the Royal guards! There was no bloodshed whatsoever!What a relief. Anyway in the palace I discovered about 300 billion dollars in Gold that the U.S government said that that I could keep for my self! Bill Clinton was that gratefull.Me,being the fair minded type that I am decided to give all the money away tocharity. Anyway,when I spoke to my girf friend using yahoo messenger I lied to herand told her the gold wasn't worth much! This was after I had given it away! Why I lied like that I don't know but at least I'll admit it here. I flew home from Abatha on a pig that had wings.That's another story I could tell you about........

opinion lolHave You Ever Lied Online?I lie nonstop online. I once had a "relationship" with someone, I told him I'm 16 female and different name, he believed me. Then I told him I lied and that I'm 15 and told him my real name. Then he started to hate me so I told him that I'm a GUY (and I'm not)... Lier lier lier.I don't know why I do that. When I'm bored I'm just coming to chats and everytime I tell the people a differnt name and age and location... I know how to make them believe me, even though I'm only 15... I know it's wrong but it's... Fun... I mean, I can be someone different online... And that's something I can't do in the real life... So yeah.-reply by Alex ~

I haven't lied too much to the people I talk to online. I've met some people who lied big time though. I knew a woman who lied about her age and appearance to seduce under 18 boys. I also met a woman who sent me beautiful photos and told me she was 18 from california. I knew she was a bit odd, by the way she acted, very obsessive for example, so I stopped talking to her. She seemed real and honest enough though with her stories of her mother dying in a car accident and what not. I had a female friend who talked to her for a few years after though, and the subject came up about this person, and it was revealed to me that this woman was a completely different person, ten years older with three children. Odd.I've never understood why people who send fake pictures though. I would feel completely weird using someone else's photo and claiming it's me. What would you do if you fell in love with the person and wanted to meet, or even if it was just a friend. It just seems like a bad idea. I've even heard of people using fake photos to earn money from phone sex etc. Weirdddd.