xisto Community
velma

Have You Ever Lied Online? Tell me why people would lie online

yah i'ved lied oline befor but it really wns that big of a lie: i tend to play msn games wich allows you to chat with people online normaly when they ask me name age and location. when i comes to location i tend to give them a very broud location like america but i met this person online who was getting pretty personal they had asked me about where i go to school so i lied about that, i guess it wasnt that bad though but the funny thing was i kept in touch eith that person for a while.another funny story is that once i was playing on msn games a gain i was playing agaimst this little girl and i was betting and it was getting really anoying so i said i had to but i played another game right away luckyly or unluckyly i got the same person agin so i said i'm a girl but they could tell by my screen name that i was the same guy it was actually embarasing and kinda sad at the same time because i had lied to them so i did feel bad for a 5 minunte then the game was do so i left.i would not like make big lies online becuase watch you be talking to someone that you know online and they it's you but you dont and you lie they probably would never trust you again but i dont think and hope that'll never happen to me.

I lie sometimes in online because there are some reasons that someone will ask for my credit card, my personal informations, my secrets, and etc. And I only lie for some good reasons...

I might lie about my name (D.E., compared to whatever the heck my real name is) and my exact date of birth (I'm 14, and my birthday is March 12, compared to 13/08 on the lunar calendar), but other than that, I can tell the truth about almost anything. I just have a problem with lying, even on the Internet.

I wanted to seem talented so I grabed a google image photo and said I had made the project myself. I lost friends I had been close to online since 2004. Now thay all think I am stupid and they wonder if I told any other lies.I was called out before the group when a Mod posted the photo and the real link and asked how that was possible. I logged off and never went back. Now I plan to change my phone number and not tell them the next time I move. I wanted to get more invloved and I shut myself out. If there was a way I would say sorry and take a rank cut and stay in touch with those friends but I am not holding my breath for such an offer.-reply by LostBunnie

I don't think I've ever lied online majorly, I have about my age as in some cases. I don't really believe or support lying because like its been said, once you lie once, you have to lie a second time when you slip up from the first lie. I told a lie a while back to my mum, then I wanted to take it back, but she kept persuing the matter so I had to lie my way out of it. I told her about three different lies. And I really felt horrible.

i lie in things like age, name - my username in Xisto and youtube and hotmail and basicaly everything online lol is joeblogg which obviously isn't my real name lol. i don't usually lie though. i either don't say anything or tell the truth which is the easiest way. beause if you want to tell them the truth then you wont have to admit to lying.

Yes, to keep my identity safe and to "fit in".

I give a latitude and longitude region for my location, as untrustworthy people don't have maps ( from my personal experience, only nice people can figure out my location that way ).

Lol, I should start doing that. But you never know..... Bad people may be smart (maybe).

I lie all the time, the average person lies about 6 times every 10 minutes! On the internet I mostly lie about gender, occupation, age etc. But that's with people I don't know. To my friends I lie about stuff I've been doing so they won't think I'm a bum, for example I tell them I went shopping when in fact I've been home all day playing poker or posting on forums. and lying at both!

I don't tend to mislead people, But when i sign up for something, which I think may send me spam, I often substitute parts of my address (just enough to stop the sending me mail) and my phone number (I already get enough advertising calls)Unless of course I think i should give them the details, but I prefer not to, If i think the company has no reason to contact me.

I lie a lot online but that's because I'm on it a lot, I don't have to lie but i choose to because I need to, I don't lie to make me look good but for my safety most of the time. Like address, emails and age etc. Who hasn't lied?

Yea, I think everyone lies online... and the ones that claim no to, are just lying about it :lol: Meaning everyone are liars. I think it's a little like real life, where people will lie about certain things, but I think that people take lies further when it is online because no one can really know who the person is or know if they are lying about things. So, if someone asks me my age or location, I'm generally honest, because it's nothing too personal... but if I really don't want that person to know something, sometimes I'll lie, but most often I just tell them that I'm not going to tell them. If they can't deal with that and bug me, then I can lie and they'll usually shut up, even though they don't know any better about me than they did before I lied to them. On the other note, you also have to remember that if you can lie so easy to other people, they can lie just as easily to you. So if you do have someone tell something to you on the internet, it's probably not best to take it as a perfect truth. I wonder what the percentage of things that are told online in chatrooms or such are actually lies. That would be an interesting statistic, and probably would make less people use them if they knew the truth. Mind you, since people are lying freely about themselves in the chatrooms, it probably wouldn't stop anyone anyway ^_^I don't think I would ever make a second account with something just to mess with people. For one thing, I couldn't really be bothered, and for another, I'd feel too bad about it and probably wouldn't keep a straight face long enough when I saw them for real next time. Plus, I think it might ruin the relationship you have with the other person, because if they lie, then you may feel that they are liars, and even if they don't and you tell them the truth, they probably will have different feelings about you, like that you are being dishonest to them or something. It sounds like too much hassle for the little fun that it might bring me.

I used to lie about my age when I signed up for free trials/ newsletters and things. I always used to think that if you gave them your postcode you'd be receiving ?10,000 bills in the mail every day ^_^ But still , I realised how serious lying about details can be. They always come back to haunt you when you lie to people online , and eventually you feel entrapped in your own lies. I try not to lie anymore , but I occasionally say stuff like "I've been skydiving off the coast of new-zealand" or that kind of thing , but anything deeper and I stay truthful :lol:

I generally don't tend to lie if I can help it.If I'm using email/IM, I don't give my email out to people I barely know. If I'm, say, playing an online game, I tend to not speak at all unless its associated with the game (for teamwork and strategy) if it was a public game. Sometimes I make a really deliberate and sarcastic lie, but then people still take it rather seriously.

Yea it's true. I have lied online already. Most of the time when i sign up for some sort of trial or subscription and sometime in the forums, probably right here in Xisto. lol. Anyways i can't always 100% truthful because there are perverts lurking everywhere just trying to get a little action and scammers and defrauders scowling for personal information.But generally i make it a habit to be honest, but i can't all the time as i've said.