xisto Community
velma

Have You Ever Lied Online? Tell me why people would lie online

Same here. Lying on the internet is acceptable and recommended to some degree, but don't take it too far.
I have lied too much and I have learned it the hard way. Now, I just avoid questions or try to confuse who's asking it.
For example, if somebody wants to know my age, I'll give them a complex equation and tell them that the answer they get is my age. I even lie then, if I think that the person asking is capable of completing the equation properly.

I give a latitude and longitude region for my location, as untrustworthy people don't have maps ( from my personal experience, only nice people can figure out my location that way ).

well i wouldn't lie outright maybe exaderate a little.

well. lets see i dont think i have really outright lied on the internet. i probably did exaderate mabe a little too far.

wel i hope i'm not lying now that would ruin my great record

my friends lie to me all the time but i can usually tell wen. then i tell them i know they r lying but they just deny it

oh well i will try not to lie

I haven't, if I don't want someone to know something I just don't tell them, it's the internet it's not like they can reach through our monitors and make me say something. I guess there are a few people out there who need to stay anonymous and lie for that reason, other people I don't know about.

I have lied about my exact location, but only to very dodgy websites that require your address for some reason, like If my address was 94 Baker st, ST Mirvin, Hamilton, New Zealand, I won't say that, just a New Zealand would be fine

Well I think that this cannot be taken into account as lying as you were just ommiting your data and you were not saying that you are like from Australia or something else if you woudl have said that you would be lying then.

I lied about my age when I was 13. I said I was a year older so that I wouldn't be judged because of my age. You'd be surprised how many people treat 13-and-younger kids online because of the age gap. Also, I don't disclose my address or phone numbers. I use a PrivatePhone.com number instead if I'm entering a contest or filling out a form for a free sample.

Yeah I lie all the time online. I mean who hasn't lied on the internet. The internet is full of lies and deception. I'm not truthful with people I don't know or just met. Of course you can be totally honest with strangers but I"m not going to tell them stuff like where I really live. All you need to know is I live in Dallas, Texas and that's about it. If your my friend I"ll give you something more than that. There was one time I lied about my sex and I went into a chat room with a bunch of guys and they're like im'ing me and talking dirty and stuff. I played along. They asked for my age and all that. lol. If was fun leading them on. Then I told them I was working with CPS and i'm not really a girl i'm a guy and they went silent. haha. Come on CPS doens't even do those child internet monitoring thingies. Stupid people. I have many more lies.

First time when i was online it was i guess in 1996, or something like that. I was 13 years old, and i didn't even understand what internet was except for IRC. Back than Microsoft had a chat i think it was called MSComic chat, where chatroom was filled with people who were like comics characters and had all those expressions. It was really fun. I didn't lie back then couse i didn't feel the need to lie. It wasn't like today where there is threat of pedofiles or some crazy psychos lurking around. I guess back then those kind of folks didn't know how to use computer :) Later maybe when i started using mIRC and first ICQ, i already knew the thing and was in my puberty years, so chating in the ** rooms was regular *geek*.. lol.. Ah those days. But it wasn't that much of a lie. I even met few "i hope they are girls" lol who said that they know where is the place i live in, which was strange couse i lived in croatia. Then google became more and more popular, and the whole world wide web evolved along with it, by concept of simpler forums, and other softwares like IM or even now Gmail, that made life on the interent pretty much simpler.But when you look at it in more wider perspective, most of people here hide behind their usernames. Small number of people really understand the internet in the means it's supposed to be understood. There are gazzilions of websites, most of which are lamme, some are so-so, but some are great. Like in life, the people you hang with will teach you things about internet, and show you ways that will mean a lot. There are no need for lies, and when you are a bit older u understand what is worth and what just **.I'm really starting to go O.T. But to answer this question, i would say - no i never lied on internet, i just showed another part of myself that i would never show in regular life. But by staying in touch with the internet more, slowly that part just became the part of my regular life.

Yes i have lied many times about my age, location, time.. Things like that, if they have my time, they can know my general location (lol im paranoid) but i can't really think of anything other then that, i pretended to be another person on aim to see what that person ( i knew) thought about me

Ok well when I was younger I used to go into chat rooms and what not just always trying to meet new people. I'm a very friendly and open person like that. I never really thought people were lying to me because I wasn't lying to them. And I believe I actually came encounter with a pervert one time but he actually told me that he was like 55 and from England or something...I'm not really sure but I stopped really going to those sites after that. But this is my situation...I was on facebook using this application called "Are You Interested" just goofing around. You can click on someone that you think is cute. You can say yes(let them know), yes(annonymously) or no. Well I clicked on this yes on this guy and he later ended up clicking yes back. He didn't send me a message or anything so I decided to say hey whats up, that whole thing. Well he and I have just been talking and texting back and forth. He's a really sweet and genuine but honest guy. But its hard because we've never met. Well he goes to school in Chicago which is were I'll be going next year. He's from Washington and is there over winter break. I was the one who had suggested going up to meet him because I also have friends who already live up there...I guess I'm just looking for some advice. I was gonna buy some pepper spray or mace...Whatever I can get just to be prepared...He's sent me pictures and I've completely checked out his websites. He's only 6 months older than me...I'm actually the one who initiated the talking and questions and what not and he has yet to make me feel uncomfortable by all means..What do you guys think or suggest?

Hello! Friends when is saw this topic the question which struck my mind is that should i tell the truth or shold i say a lieThen i decide that atleast here in TRAP i must express my true opinion.Accodring to me i totally agree with Velma , people lie for safety inorder to hide their Identity.First i started using the internet at my age of 15 ( to be noted under 18 ) so when i got an internet connection the first thing i tried to do is creating an email for me . At that time i approached yahoo! so when i gave i date of birth it recognised that im a child and i need for parental email . That was the time i first Lied in the internet.I gave a Fakke Date of birth.Then as days passed by i started using yahoo! chat and there the first word that people asked me was " ur asl plz ? " then at that time i didnt know the meaning of asl and i asked my friend he told that it means the chat mate wants me to tellthe age sex and location.So the next time when i looged into yahoo! chats i gave my age sex and location and i was happy that i started chatting.Then i noted that when ever i type the age sex and location the reply that i got was "bye"Then again i was confused then i asked another friend that what is this. so they said in chats no one wanna chat with a kidThen i started lying there .Now i can assusre you that almose 99% fake their asl and i too started that.And in many cases like this internet has been a place where people lie.But on the other hand is there any way out ? Yes IF ALL THE INTERNET USERS START TO TELL THE TRUTH then the future generationcan follow up and can make internet a real place for real people.For this its not me who must initiate or you but it is we who should ...

Except those days, there is a fair bit of controversy about internet chats, messengers and the like. It was controversial enough to an extent that MSN shut down their former MSN Chat, chatroom service, which IIRC at the time was one of the most popular sites on the internet. However, there were also other reasons for chat shutdowns, such as programmers getting into their servers on mIRC via a programmed script, even though chat sites werent allowing them through the TOS or something. But since the shutdown of MSN Chat, you'd be suprised at the amount of MSN-like chat clones that are around today.

It's so easy to get caught up in lying online, since you're behind a screen and a keyboard.However, for the most part, it doesn't matter to me when I do tell the truth.(For instance, I really am from New Durham, NH. Good luck finding me though... not like anyone would actually WANT to. :P Then again, I might be lying about that... :) )I think to some extent that lying on the Internet is okay, since everyone is privileged to passively-defend themselves from identity theft, blackmail, or even just appearance (to prevent being misjudged). For instance, I deem most younger kids as ignorant and even very immature online, but there are a few kids that I almost respect for their maturity. I don't think I have to get into massively-incorrect spelling and "txt tlk." :) I for the most part tell the truth about myself, except when signing up for sites that you have to register for before imploring on their services, viewing their forums, etc. I almost wish that every forum could let guests view them and not have to register for them every time... (I even have an e-mail address dedicated for signing up for stuff, as I don't care about what spam I get there. I'm sure most people already do this nowadays.)

Most people lie on the internet because they don't like whon they are at the moment. They can lie to make themselves to seem like a nice person , if not like that in real life. They also want to impress and feel superior because they do not get tat feeling in real life