xisto Community
amit nigam

Robot Rights : Right Or Wrong

Robot Rights : how right they are?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think robots shouold get Rights untill they can think. Not just think but be able to feel, if you are hurting or harming a Robot then having does become an issue. If robots had the same emotions as us then they should have rights. But only those who are like humans. Not worker robots as they are programed to that job without complaint. Robots to be at the same level as humans is a different matter. I would like to say for them to be so, but that would alter things to much. The word Robot means machine slave. To have their creators at the same level as them in soicity I don't belive is right. WOuld like us to be at the same level as God.But none will happen untill the future. The far furture.

At first this topic seem to farfetched but yes it is possible and what if they start for asking their own rights later,i mean today when robots come in market they would be good robots ,doing all our work and help us in all our work ,isnt thats the reason we invent them ,but later these robots if are provided with feelings and human heart as someone said above they almost become half human and what would we do then,may be they woulkd even marry and create their own kida and that will be the start of robotivity(humanity) ,they would have their own religion,may be praying to some grease or something,but what if they are given some rights and they just keep on asking for more and more,we are forgetting how nature should be working ,people should remember that robots were made for our ease,not for our trouble,if a human kills a robot he should only pay for the damage of the robot not for any other cause .Nature created animal and humans ,but not robots,robotsare simple computers who are made to serve us not for making us server them,what if we create robots which never die,theu would get years of experience and may take over the world because first they wont grow old,they are genious,they never die and hence collect a lot of information,the concept of dieing which god created was because people like hitler wont be ruling yet ,but what abt robots if they live forever ,what would happen like do u think the 60 yrold generation would have the ability to fight and experienced and powerful 600 yrs robots.and as they never die they will just keep on increasing ,what would people do then.no robots should get any right ,any time,the6y are servants not equals

Oh my god! I think this is completely out of the question and it surprises me how many people voted yes... are we crazy or what? Would you give rights to your computer? To your stereo? To your mobile phone? Robots don?t exist although men create them and of course they are not living beings so it?s completely stupid to even think that they should be respected as humans or animals. Of course if we make a robot that is like a human, so it can suffer and hurt, we should respect it... or him :P but it would be irresponsible if we get to do this. Robots are supposed to be stronger than humans and being more effective in their tasks. And having no feelings help, so I hope we will never see robots with feelings, only in science fiction movies. Or at least I rather be dead before that happens.

hi friends,nice to hear from you all...my aspersions about robot rights were reflected by almost everyone and very clearly by richierich1m.i, like him, also feel that if we give rights to robots then maybe they will start asking for more and more and a time will come when they will become so much demanding that they can start denmanding for their own "homeland" and all idiotic stuff like that... though sometimes this topic seems useless and too far fetched, but the point is that it might be possible that sometime in the future some of us, people who are reading and replying to this topic, might be involved in the process of lawmaking in one way or the other... at that time what we must remember is that robots are built for our comfort as an accesory, like music system, telephone etc... just because we will be able to make them more and more like humans in the future will not change the fact that they are machines and not humans...so we must never make the mistake of doing something which will make them a threat to us...and i think giving them rights will be some that sort of thing...i am myself a computer engineer and as a matter of fact i am planning to go to study robotics in my masters degree...because i feel that it is so exciting...and i would like to build more and more human like robots... but the point is we must know how to handle them properly...that is my only concern..signing off...keep writing..bye all.

If robots ever grow, or if we ever create an A.I. that will understand the concept of life, that concept is probably going to understand the need for equal rights and is going to ask for it. Humans will not be in doubt to give them those rights couse we will probably feel that A.I. robots need to have equal rights. When we build A.I. it is going to be a Huge day for Humanity, but also a day when a lot's of people are going to wonder, what is it all about?But in the world of robots, now, i don't think they need any rights. There is still great number of people who don't have equal rights to other people, so i don't see how robots can have any rights when some people still don't have any rights. I don't think that we will create A.I. for another 100 years, or even more. Not only that, i feel that we are never going to be able to create A.I. Well at least not until maybe we evolve into some higher kind of life form. I belive that we are going to evolve before we create A.I.

Hi there.Robots shouldn't have rights, but they can have privileges which can be revoked at anytime anywhere when needed.I disagree with the thought of animals not having feelings like us. They have these basic feelings and emotions, unlike us which are more complicated. Animals cry when hurt, rest if sick and so on.A robot is basically programmed to do things, logic. Doesn't have feelings, it can have sensors but it only adds to its logical options which is very different from human feelings and emotions. They can't get confused since its a river of 1's and 0's.The greatest difference of humans from other animals or from robots is we have this things called "Reason" and "Judgement". And God perfected this Organic Machine upto the smallest cells and atoms, imagine muscles that can move faster than hydraulics or motors. A brain that has a capacity to store a lifetime of memories. We also have this "Instinct" that made us even more human.

its an interesting topic, i dunno how i'd go about thinking about this. if robots become smart enough to think and feel (even if it's just an emulation) then my point of view might actually be leaning to that of a living thing (which just sounds stupid) but i really can't say for sure. i mean, people could love their robots are they do their pets, even considering them equally as important or mentally valued. in this sense, if somebody came along and knocked his robot out (deleting his memory or something) then couldn't you say that its the same as doing it to a dog? i mean pets and such have rights to a degree, with animal cruelty and all... i can't say anything for now, but i do know that this might become a major issue in the future, and i'll take my place then when it actually comes around. its far too un-predictable to make any sort of decision at this point, we don't even have walking, talking emotion feeling super robots roaming around yet.

This topic is quite interesting to me based mostly on the fact that it could be a serious question not to long from now. The main reason for robots and machines is to make life easier for us humans and to help humans in whatever way we can get them to. They're designed to do things better and more efficiently than humans. At the moment robots are limited to mostly pets in Japan, used as a substitute for a pet or as a way to help the elderly be more active. Unless a persons conscious can be uploaded to a robot, in which case the robot wouldn't really be a robot, robots would have to be considered as circuits and wiring. The only rights that seem to make sense for a robot is the rights that would lie in the hands of its owner. If major or complete emulation of a person is achieved, it can be easy to forget that you are talking to a robot and naturally feelings would develop that would encourage you to think of robots more as living things than something completely artificial. I am against the abuse of robots simply because abuse of anything is a bad thing for at least one reason or another. The point of robots is to help humans. But they are what they are, machines, and so their rights should not come before animals and certainly not humans. It is difficult even in this decade to accurately imagine just what it would be like to live with robots so at best most opinions and positions would be part speculation. We've all seen those sci-fi movies where robots become "smart" and turn on us, eg. The Matrix, iRobot and so on. Is that pure speculation? It is too serious to ignore. The "should robots have rights?" game should be played with utmost caution. We have to look at our safety and well being first. After all, the purpose of robots is to make these better.

i for one am against robot rights. i don't want my future where my computer/robot will sue me for overwork :P but the truth is there will be robot rights.one anime chobits if anyone heard of it. tells us about humanoid robots that are so human that humans don't want to be with another human but just with there chobits(humanoid robots) even if that anime is fiction, one can think of the possibility of robots becoming like us that it is undistingusihable.in human history, animal rights is objected when it is still not law.one analogy is if you have a dog and you love it so much that it became one of your family member like a little sister of something then you wouldn't want that family member to have some rights.for me companionship is the start of a debate about robot rights. the debate will start when robots start acting like us then will have a problem

I assume everyone has seen the Matrix and the Terminator movies and so I put it like this regardless if they have emotions or what not it is all about the AI. If they can do and think for themselves without our interfering with their lives. Of course the question is how far will humans push to make robotic life be like that? Although we are at the point that some computer AI can think for themselves I don't think humans will allow sophisticated AI to have control of stuff such as nukes. Due to the fact that computer technology is hackable and so anyone with the right skills can change the AI's line of thinking and then program them to think EVIL like, but still we are years from pulling off the AI that the Matrix and Terminator movies are at.So even if we got to a level like that, I would think giving robots some rights to start off with will keep them from going Borg on us.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Robots have no autonomy. Once they do, we can start giving them rights.

Robots are programmed machines. They can be abused as much as wanted and won't give a peep, since they can't. Giving them rights is like giving rights to a rock. There's no point, since they can't act on the rights. The only thing that might happen from prolonged abuse is loss of function. But even then, we can scrap it and recycle it to create a new one.

But back in the olden days, they used to do this to horses too. That is a different story. Horses actually have some autonomy, unlike robots.We cannot just abuse them because we feel like it.

This is another test of the credit-rating system at a set level (100 credits)

Characters with spaces: 626

Characters without spaces: 626 – 118 = 508

Number of BBCode characters: 7

Credits before: 100.36

Credits after: 101.21

Credits earned: 0.85

Ratio: 508 / 0.85 = 597.64705882352941176470588235294

Ratio, excluding BBCode: 501 / 0.85 = 589.41176470588235294117647058824

Estimated set ratio: 600

I read somewhere that the script worked logarithmically. It doesn't seem to, since I would most probably have to post 900 characters to get a credit. Also, BBCode is included in the counting of credits.

Of course, it was also my opinion. I wouldn't just post some random stuff to use as a test.

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

Robots are programmed what they are meant to do. There would not be any point in giving robots rights unless they have very advanced artificial intelligences. It would be like giving an inanimate object rights if we give robots without an advanced artificial intelligence rights.They have no emotions which make giving them rights unecessary!If we were to give robots rights, one of three things could happen.#1 They could rebel and doom us all, forcing us to live in a giant convoy protected my an outdated vessel, facing the dangers of space#2 They would live with us in harmony, they would form their own nation and establishing a permanent alliance with us.#3 They would live with us in harmony, they would form their own nation and without warning strike at us, and doom us all... forcing us to live in a giant travelling convoy with barely any survivors facing the dangers of space.So, in my opinion, robots should NOT be given rights, nor should they be given an artificial intelligence...

Robots are just computers that look like humans right? And we don't give our computers rights, do we? O_o Computers are not like clones, they can't feel emotions, and if they do, it's just a programmed script, unlike clones and animals, where the emotions come about from the hormones.