xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BooZker

High School Is A Waste Of Time And Money 4 years of schooling that i finished in one week

This is not a rant. This is not a complaint. This is a question. Why do we have a school system like high school. High school is a waste of your money and time. I'm 16 years old. I'm not a "badass" I'm not a criminal, F student, drinker, smoker, father, or anything like that. What i am is a college student at 16 majoring in graphic design with a 3.5 GPA.

Most people do not know you can go directly from middle school to college. I went for my freshman year at a high school and hated it. I was failing algebra, had a D in science, and had bad grades like this the whole time. Was it because i am stupid? No. When i tested out at the college i maxed out the reading, so i do not have to take ANY reading classes, i got the highest english you can get, and math i got into algebra II. But wait i failed algebra I. Just in case you don't know, high school math goes like this now, Algebra I, Geometry, then Algebra II. So i skipped an entire year of math?

In washington state to get into college you need a high school diploma or GED. Since i didnt have a high school diploma i decided, what the hell, i'll get a GED then go to college. I passed every test on my first try after going to high school one year and failing math and science. Now that i am in college i got a B in math, A in typography , B in graphic design, and an A in integrated media (this is like a graphic design appreciation class). So 2 Bs and 2 As pretty good for a 16 year old high school drop out.

The point of this post is to ask why do you go to high school? Why would you waste your time? If your my age, by the time you graduate high school i will be on my way to California to go to the best know graphic design college in the country, Art Center in Pasadena, California. You'll have wasted 4 years of your life that i completed in a week.

WAIT! What about friends, what about prom, dances, drama, ect. I'm not a nerdy person, im not considered ugly, fat, geeky, or anything. If anything popular. I would rather spend my time going to the dances with my girlfriend that are not at high school. People assume normally that i'm some super smart geeky dude and thats why i dont like school and did so good in college. Just for purpose of proving m point go to https://myspace.com/browser That is me. Do i look like the type of person you would think of when you say "he is a 16 year old college student"?

Why do you have to do these things? Why not spend the extra time you have, about 3-4 years, doing things just like that. They dont have to be at a school you know. You would make friends in college just as i have. I have friends who range from 19-30 yrs of age.

You say employers dont hire people who are GED holders. False also. My first job ever was at Target as a cashier. They saw me motivated since i dropped high school to just go to college.

I just want to know these questions:

1. What is the point of the high school system?

2. Why would you want to spend that kind of tax money on an extra system we do not need?

3. Why make high school 4 years when i clearly have been able to do it in a week?

4. Why would you want to get a high school diploma over a bachlores degree?

That's all. Now i get my credits and my answers, hopefully my answers.

Remember i think education is a great thing. My girlfriend wants to be a nurse. At her high school though they have no programs for medical fields at all. Her parents wont let her drop and go to college until she is 18 either. So now after she is done with high school it will take her twice as long just because the high school can't provide the stuff we need for career options.

This is based on the United States of America's school system by the way. You know, the one who has worse scores then some of the most pour third world countries.

Wow I never knew it works like that

right now I have a 3.6 GPA with a few honors, could I skip ahead?

I'm really an average student, but I have a 94% in AP English, I love English! :o

What if high school wasn't exist, if a 15-16 year old getting out of middle school and go out in the world? Would that person gets enough information to do things what he/she wants to do? Four years is good enough for high school terms.

I think high school would do well extending to 6 year-mandatory by law, so that when people are out at age 20, they would be better-equipped for the world

How many times have I seen a high school senior realize its too late for them and they screwed their life over already...

Imagine what 2 years could do for them!

Edited by Reekun (see edit history)

1. What is the point of the high school system?

High School system is like community colleges that does not requires money. Having high school can help students to achieve more things and having a good life (some or most do or don't). Without high school, many people wouldn't have friends after middle school. How many people do right after middle school? Drugs and violence would be the answer (maybe). It give students the opportunity to know things while in high school than anywhere else. High School helps students to develop common sense, emotional (Some people do not have emotional expression), or logical reasoning.

2. Why would you want to spend that kind of tax money on an extra system we do not need?

I do agree tax are being spent on high school little bit too much. There are people that goes to school just to be there and not learning. I think we're number 3 or 4 on leading education. I wouldn't say extra system we do not need because using tax on high school is a good thing.

3. Why make high school 4 years when i clearly have been able to do it in a week?

People can't think or develop fast like you do. Some people get things slower and have to take stuff things slow or others normal. It will give students enough information when they get out of school. What if high school wasn't exist, if a 15-16 year old getting out of middle school and go out in the world? Would that person gets enough information to do things what he/she wants to do? Four years is good enough for high school terms.

4. Why would you want to get a high school diploma over a bachlores degree?

High school diploma is 1 time shot, if you didn't get it the first time, there's no way of getting it except GED. Bachlores degree requires money and effort from a person that can or cannot do.

I think some of it depends on what school you're going to and what the situation is. I kind of wish I'd gone the same route of just going straight to college. I really struggled in high school because teachers didn't like my learning-oriented approach. Some didn't like that I asked too many questions, some didn't like that I'd correct them, and some didn't like that I'd bring books to read during class down-time. I've had a much easier time in college because it's more learning-focused. High School too often seems focused just on busy work to prepare you for the life of drudgery that teachers believe the workplace to be, at least in my opinion. I did have some good teachers who taught me a lot but they were few and far between. I really enjoyed the P.E. program but I hate how they're eliminating P.E. from schools. I don't think they should short-change P.E. to get in health classes or driver's ed. Gee, that's smart. The nation's kids are more obese than ever before and tons of people are dying from obesity-related stuff, and they're going to cut out P.E. from the public schools. Don't get me wrong, there are some quality people in the high schools. But there are too many just giving busy work rather than encouraging their students to learn. Back in High School I could ace a classes' tests and learn the material better than anyone in the class and still fail the class. In college it's more about learning and classwork isn't meant to overload you or keep you busy but to help you learn the material. For those who can afford it, going straight to college might be a good choice. The value of high school, if you can get through it, is the social interaction, IMO. That's the one redeeming quality of it, since you'll never find that structured social interaction to such a degree ever again.You'd have to be smart though to get through the GED testing and move straight on to college, as well as being able to afford it, so it's not for everyone. For those more interested in learning though, it might be something to consider. With me, it seemed like I went to High School for 4 years and got 1-1/2 years of actual learning out of it. The rest was just busy work and useless learning systems with no application in the real world.

Edited by Joshua (see edit history)

Epic bump1. What is the point of the high school system?To further your education amd make sure you arnt a dumbass2. Why would you want to spend that kind of tax money on an extra system we do not need?Just becuse you dont need it doesnt mean evryone els doesnt. Publi education i s good for the people that cant afford private schooling3. Why make high school 4 years when i clearly have been able to do it in a week?*high school is 3 years here* and if you do it in a year you wont learn evrything that you need.4. Why would you want to get a high school diploma over a bachlores degree?Becuse evry decent job out there REQURES a highschool deploma and at least 4 years of univercity.

High school may be pointless for you, but for some people, it's to relax for about 2 years after all that gruelling training you do from grades 1 to 8. I mean, sure the courses are harder, but the pace is different.

In Grade 12 you really can't relax, but at least by that time it's easier than Grade 8 was four years ago.

I'm in high school right now as well (except that I'm in Canada, so we actually only really learn anything from Grade 9 on, so it's pretty much essential for us,)

I don't consider high school a waste of time... and especially not money, since my government pays for most of it... rofl...Aside from that, the reason I don't think high school is a waste of time is because I like to learn.I would rather be in school learning about things than be stuck with a full-time job and in debt, paying bills, etc.After all... KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!.. hhahaha....

I feel like the high school system isn't just training with books. It's socializing. It's a way to get people ready to meet people and learn about life. I loved my time in high school. Because of it I discovered what I want to do with my life by taking classes in desktop publishing.
While taxes may be high, and some may feel the way that the original poster does......I disagree. We need schooling to help prepare people for the real world. There's some lessons you can't learn by sitting at home and taking a G.E.D. test.

I agree high school is a way to socialize. there are many people your age who you can make friends with. in school you can also learn some important stuff. but half the stuff you learn at school is trash. its useless and pointless. subjects like visual arts and music. i don't think they should be compulsory. in visual arts you do things like pottery which is a complete waste of time. i also don't want to learn how to play the triangle in music! things that are important are things like english teaching you how to communicate and present your self. foreign languages are also a complete waste of time - i don't plan on living in Germany, or spain. pdhpe is good because it teaches you how to live life healthy and you do fun things like racing playing sport and stuff like that.

^ I do not plan of living in a country where English is needed or they speak Spanish. Still I am learning it. + Two versions of Norwegian. Fun...I suppose I have just started at high school. How many years it is depends on what you choose. I will be going there 3 years. I am learning all the languages said above, mathematics, geography, nature study, social studies and gymnastics. Next year I will not attend nature study and I believe I do not have English next year either... but history and all the others, as well as law studies and social economics. :lol: This year we had to pay for the books but next year EVERYONE are getting free books. ^_^ The problem is that we can not sell the books then... The school is free too, I am extremely happy to actually have a cafeteria at the school. Anyway I am not familiar with the school system in the US, but come on skipping high school? None of friends have ever done that. Not even those that had a laugh in middle school when they triggered the fire alarm all the time.

I don't think it's a waste time or money. I actually find high school very useful!

Hey fren,
Do you really think that, I think you are just telling as being serious.

I think it is the waste of money as it needs many money to clear it.

We can't stay link enjoying so I also think it is also a waste of time.

At conclusion I should say that it is a waste of time or money.

Reply by- Arjun pun

That is a nice question I have heard it before. I would kindly give some really easy answer. You get the basics on high school. I studied so hard on high schools so that when in college I passed two or three exams without need of hard study. That was because I got basics from high school.Another point from medical perspective. Intelligence will gain form until you become 19 years old. After that there will not be intelligence improvements on your brain. So studying hard, thinking and exercising your brain before this age and which means you should be at high school, will give you greater IQ. So what??, You have greater capacities on college than, you can be more productive and get better results. Always if you study hard and concentrate.

Well, it's a waste of time unless you take AP/IB classes. You can get college credit if you pass the tests. You can acquire a group of contacts that may prove useful in the future. I could start community college in Algebra II as the OP did, or I can start it with math 21 (multivariate calculus). Either way, I would not have saved much time. The same would apply to many other classes. Add to that about 50 units required for Molecular Biology / Biochemistry AND at least 24 for your IGETC, and you could have fun doing a transfer. Also, if you want to go to medical school or any grad. school, your GPA better be good, especially for med. school. 3.5 GPA freshman year isn't going to cut it when you have a full serving of OChem, Chem, Calc, Stats, Bio, and Physics coming, with IGETC on top of it.

Edited by dre (see edit history)

1. Well I'd say it's for students of an age group to stick together....they can always study on their own and save a lot of precious time, but it is the "mingling together" part that high school is all about.

2. In some countries like mine (India), school education is not free. The schools that do offer free education are sub-standard. So the parents put in their own money to get their children educated, so it is up to them whether they want to "waste their money" or get their children educated. It's not an issue of the tax money.

3. As I said before, it's not the education that matters. In those four years, you do a lot of things other than study. And these things cannot be done in a week!

4. Personally, it's something of an achievement. It feels good to know that you did everything right, that you didn't leave any gaps for anything to point out. And after all, what's wrong in increasing your collection of degrees? :lol:

The point of high school, is to educate our younger society with knowledge, as well as to grow their intelligence, so we are not surrounded by a bunch of uneducated, unable to think, ignorant bastards (not saying you are) but you earn most of your life knoledge through your high school experience, lets just put it this way.. high school is an easy way to make sure our population is equally better or GREATER than other countries populationplus like many said, your personality and interpersonal skills cannot be earned by sitting at home or on the computer trying to obtain your GED, your more well rounded when you have a chance to get out there into the real world, and going to high school is one of the safests way to do so.Plus... idk if its just me or what, but i loved my time in high school, i meet so many people, and developed who i am today due to it

Although my high school days seemed like so long ago... I can't emphasize enough the importance of high school for young people. When i was attending i used to skip high school often because i was not challenged enough and I hadn't been shown the 'real world applications of what i was learning'. (This is a BIG mistake made in the education system in Australia, at least when i was attending).I soon regretted it, because when i began college I had no confidence due to not successfully meeting many challenges in high school. The first year I attended college was a brain drain because i had to learn what I should have already known from high school. I was fortunate enough to realize the position i was in at 18 and was working hard to turn it all around. When you get a little older (like early 20's) that's when you realize how uncool it is not to give high school your utmost attention.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)