xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BooZker

High School Is A Waste Of Time And Money 4 years of schooling that i finished in one week

Congratulation on doing well and being smart. Highschool is important because that is all the education many people will receive. It is also a time to make friends and have fun! You are already ambitious, and that is great; not many people are though. Highschool, and college for many people, is a time to find yourself. Highschool has its merits, notwithstanding your experience. If you are smart enough to skip highschool, you should be able to sit back and figure this out yourself.

I agree,Congratulations to you for being very smart. Not many people get to skip high school.Honestly in high school, I make all my dumb mistakes.At this point I am still immature so I think high school is a time for me to realize that immaturity is not the best way to go.I am in AP Classes so I get the "college-work" experience but at the same time I get the "life" experience that I need. High school isn't for everyone, and I realize it,but for some people, it's very critical for their learning and self-worth.

Yeah high school is definitely not a waste of time because its what builds you up to what you need to know for the college world. I don't know how you could say that after middle school you could go to college. Honestly i learned almost nothing in middle school and that seemed like the biggest waste of time to me. High school gives you the prep courses that your going to need for college. Not only that but it also helps you build a socialized relationship with friends. I believe that the system for education right now is pretty good, and the building up steps to college does take time but its all worth it. You have to want to go to college and try in order to achieve that status level. I am sure once you are done with high school and graduate college you will realize that it wasn't a big waste of time and all that work that you put into it paid off and your hopefully doing what you want to do.

If you think you can learn by yourself, let's turn off your learning at school. You should know that many persons on the world want to learn but they can't.

I never meant this. I meant i STUDIED for the GED test. Education is a great thing. That is exactly why i wrote this topic. Why waste the precious time as children to learn and have to wait until your almost 20 to get any decent education?

Congratulation on doing well and being smart. Highschool is important because that is all the education many people will receive. It is also a time to make friends and have fun! You are already ambitious, and that is great; not many people are though. Highschool, and college for many people, is a time to find yourself. Highschool has its merits, notwithstanding your experience. If you are smart enough to skip highschool, you should be able to sit back and figure this out yourself.

I'm in graphic design. You dont need to be smart. People keep saying this!!! haha I take the compliment, but im not that smart. Yes, im probably above average, but in no way a 4.0 student all the time at all. Another point is exactly what you said about this is the farthest they will go for there education. SO if high school is important to so many people why not make it a time to learn instead of *BLEEP*ing off. I mean high school, education wise, is not much of a step up from middle school. You get a little more homework, but the pace of the class still has to be slow and tedious.

I'm in graphic design. You dont need to be smart.

Roger that. For those of us shooting for something more like a physics or biology major, you're outta luck using this method.

I take college classes while going to high school. It's not hard at all, and high school isn't a waste of my time. I've met many people who I would've never met before, and it has really changed my life a lot. I know what you mean about the disrespectful teachers, but I get around that problem by picking my own exact classes and teachers, via counselors. I know that I can just drop out and go to a community college since I'm already 16, but I won't. The reason is that I enjoy learning things, I like the fact that I actually know what's going on around me and how it works. I don't view it as an obstacle but rather as a step that will eventually leave me at my desired goal. To say the truth, I don't ever want to stop learning; I'll go to school all of my life because I like it. I enjoy the company of friends and others, and I enjoy helping them with their own difficulties. I enjoy being able to discuss topics with the rest of the class and being able to share knowledge throughout the class. And guess what, I'm not a genius either, last year I had a 2.75 gpa, now it dramatically changed to 4.5, and I'm taking way harder classes.

I'm not a nerd, I live life to the fullest. I spend most of my time not home and usually come back at about 9-10 pm to start homework. It doesn't bother me at all, and I know that this will pay off in the future.

Edited by dre (see edit history)

I just started my High School year here in Norway (and i live there, so no "country experience" really).

I study Graphic Design / Photography / Media in general, it's what i've wanted to work within for many years now.

At home I do my best creating photoshop designs, webpages for others, but i KNOW that with my "3 years of self interest" won't be enough to make it.

In Norway - We can't skip straight to "College" (or not as I know of anyway.)

I decided that I wouldn't drop out of high school (i know that's STUPID as hell!) but it came to my mind a few times.

At the moment, the only place I got into (with my low grades and low-financed family) it's a place about 1 - 1 and 1/2 hour away from my current location, The first 2 days so far have been complete CRAP getting to and from school, but I'm doing this for my FUTURE, MY OWN INTEREST, AND TO MEET NEW PEOPLE, EXPERIENCE SOMETHING before I take the "leap" into the "Adults" world.

Sure we all feel "adulty" when we're 16, but try to capture the moment while you still have. I've already met lots of cool people, and i'm now going to move for myself to a little place nearer the school.

THAT'S what's going to be a challenge for me! Living on my own, maybe only coming home a day in the weekends etc. But it's because I WANT TO learn, This is High School , the CLASS I'VE CHOSEN BY MYSELF! In the school years before, we had same sh*t every day plans, now it's up to what we want.

So don't complain - You got it sh*tty?? No - You don't! And neither have I, you should just have realised how good things are! :XD:

-Wish me good luck! ^^-

School is useful in many ways and is not a waste of money.First of all.Who's paying?Secondly.School may not be great when is comes to education, but the social enviroment itself can be good for yourself.LastlySchool can sometimes seem pointless in many ways, but thats why there are Career High Schools.Down the road there is a Career Center for anybody who is interested in a particular career, which helps you in your long run on finding a career.School is not a waste.You learn to make decisions, you learn to work with other people, you learn things you may find interesting, you work on things to improve your logical thinking skills, and etc.School is a very important aspect in life.Proper spelling, mature conversations, and etc

If anything, we should enforce more education so that the United States isn't any further back educationally than it already is. No offense, BooZker. I don't like your logic. GED degrees are frowned upon for most jobs. I don't think a cashier at Target is an esteemed profession that will have anyone financially secure.

I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this but people are prone to forget the nature of high school's curriculim. Yes, it's to teach, to lay down the foundation of our future education, but it's also to help guide us towards finding and developing our traits towards our career.I don't know if you noticed but most kids under the age of 20 let alone 16 don't know what they want to do in life. Heck, do you know how many people change major's late in their program? It's not a fun choice. It's not a financially smart one. They do it because a career is a life altering thing; it's not something you make of life it becomes your life.More importantly High School is about refining your social skills. Yes, I too don't care for the cliques and hypocrypsy, and yes, it can be more than just a little immature at times, but those 4 years about the memories. Enjoy being a kid and living in the moment. Ever heard of the expression "don't be in a rush to grow up..."So, yeah, you got a GED and your attending college, let's put aside that it doesn't hold the same weight as a diploma, but you just missed on some of the most socially shaping years of your life.

Yes, while you may be able to go dirrectly from middle school to highschool, not everybody has the brain power to. I can honestly say, I'm glad we have a highschool system. It gives you the knowlage you need to go on to college, or n somecases get a decent job. now at the highschool that I will be attending in exactly 369 days (It's an estimate :XD:) You can take college classes (Which I plan on doing.) Anyways, a middle school education isn't really enough to take you through life. Most GOOD colleges won't except you, unless you have a highschool education.Just because you're not sharp enough to get a good grade as a freshman, doesn't mean tat highschool is a complete bust.

I think the highschool system here works well. It gets you the qualifications you need to go onto university, and helps direct you to the career you want to do. I actually think with our system its far too easy. I could study the night before and past any one of my tests. Barley pass, but thats enough. If anything it should be tougher, so the students work ethic is better, and they get more used to pressure. I am particularly lazy when it comes to study, and i got an award for my results at the end of the year... the maybe the system is corrupt.

Edited by Carson (see edit history)

Honest question, What high school did you go to in WA?I would be freshmen at KentWood Highschool if i still lived there my self, As you said it really is a waste of money at times, i now do online classes and will be finshing highschool when i am 16 as well because i am doing 2 years per year.But i am glad i still have the chance to play sports for my local highschool and such, because i think if you skip high school you really miss out on alot of imporant life leasons. I mean yes you have those losers and such but you will have them forever and its always easier to learn how to deal with it in highschool than later in life.Interesting because i had a few friends try to do that this year as well and saddly they choice not to do it. Which kinda surpises me but if your smart enough i am agreeing for you to try it.- John

I like how you modified you myspace webpage, it is neat. I kind of disagree with you on this high school is a waste of time. I really actually think some people need it so they can prepare themselves for whats coming up in college. Some people even finish high school and still dont know what they want to study, I also think it gives you more time to mature so that you take college more seriously. Even though some people still act like college is just another high school and they never take it seriously. So I guess for some it will be a waste of time and for some it will just be another place to socialize, I guess. In my personal Opinion, I liked high school, and even though I would have preferred to go straight ahead and study what I wanted to study (because I agree that you forcefully learn some things there that you will never ever use in your career life again if its not related to the career you choose), It was a fun time.

Sorry, but I didn't rode all the other posts... This is a very interesting topic. Since it's against the rules of here, I will just say that I'm by the South of United States, I speak Spanish and I'm 2 years yuunger than you (who posted this topic).The School System over here is poor (even a teacher admitted it). Even dad told me "School only shows you to be responsible, the rest can be done on your own". The problem is that not every one can have the "Free Text Books" that the government give to the students. With those books WE can pass the exams needed to get that "diploma" (called over here "certificate")... But let's say you got the recent books of the School Program, how do you manage to get that exam on your hands BY YOUR OWN (not with your parents help)? But I got to say not every one is alone... I mean, most of us have our parents %%apoyo%%.But any way... It's the got damn law, rules and stuff we got to do. I still don't know how the "Smart Kids", who already are Doctors or what ever, did that (not about the brain, the legal stuff).