xisto Community
Forbez

What Is Genocide?

I hear this word alot, but never really knew what it meant. So I found out. And this is what I got.

Genocide:

The deliberate destruction of an entire race or nation. The Holocaust conducted by the Nazis in Germany and the Rwandan genocide are examples of attempts at genocide.

Never knew it was such a big word. I always thought it was to do with the bible. But I guess i'm wrong.

Genesis, is a book in the Bible, which might be what you were thinking of. Genocide really isn't much of a word you probably don't want to hear on the news. Yes the Holocaust was an attempt of genocide and it's really wrong. People that try to take out a certain race or nation or group or religion, or whatever shouldn't be on this world. Just because people are different doesn't mean they should be taken from the Earth. If they felt that way towards your type or group or whatever, you probably wouldn't like it very much either.

Oh. So if I just up and poisoned a thousand civilians within a 2 km radius from our house and these civilians ae quite varied on all aspects like religion, race, color and philosophies, it will not count as a genocide? II have always been under the impression that genocide meant killing people. Lots of people. Ugh, this be the curse of the discombobulated mind.On a side note, I once heard this joke:A: If I'm the President of US, I'd kill all the Jews and one clown.B: Why the clown?A: See, nobody cares about the Jews! :lol:

Everyone seems to forget about Saddam's genocide attempts and tries to make it out as if though Iraq was Candy Land for the kurds for some reason. Genocide happens for a lot of reasons, whether it be economic or religious. Hitler kind of just played into the anti-semitic feelings everyone had at the time. The more that I think about it, the Jewish people have really been hated on and still are. That's the world, though. Oh, well.

salamangkero that will count as genocide im pretty sure.... I think all mass killings of people equals genocide, i dont think there are certin requirements.....

No, genocide is mass murder with the specific intent of wiping out a certain race or religion. As mentioned, the most famous examples are the Holocaust, the Rwanda conflict, and Saddam using chemical WMDs on the Kurds. But there is also what many people consider to be a genocide occuring right now in Darfur. As many as 400,000 people have been killed there since 2003.

No, genocide is mass murder with the specific intent of wiping out a certain race or religion.

Ahh, I see. So if I said, "Rarr, I wanna kill a thousand females," or "Let's go smash the skulls of a thousand Catholics," or even, "One CEO, stabbity-stab, two CEO's, stabbity-stab, three..." it'd be genocide. On the other hand, if I just said, "I want to kill a million bystanders," or, "Let's bomb the local stadium," or, "Toss a coin. Heads, you die. Tail, you toss again," simply counts as ordinary, non-exciting, flat gray and boring mass murder.

However, what if I said, "I wanna kill a thousand idiots," or, "I'll kill every female in our neighborhood," or even, "Burn, baby! Burn!" in its most literal sense, does that count as genocide?

All this is a kinda roundabout way of asking, "How specific should the specific intent be to determine whether it is genocide or nothing more than an ordinary, non-exciting, flat gray and boring mass murder?" :lol:

A little off topic, but in my english teacher asked the class for words that instigate a lot of emotion. I said genocide, and half of the class had no clue what it was. Then when they found out they thought I was some sort of psycho for thinking of that word first.So you weren't alone in not knowing what it meant.

I think that most mass murdering endsup as some form of genocide. Few people want to, or have the ability to, wipe out every person in the world. They end up selecting. Whether it is a specific naition, religious group, political party, or whatever, the concept is still the same and constitutes genocide.

I think that most mass murdering endsup as some form of genocide. Few people want to, or have the ability to, wipe out every person in the world. They end up selecting. Whether it is a specific naition, religious group, political party, or whatever, the concept is still the same and constitutes genocide.

I can't really understand what/why you wrote such a thing. Genocide IS the systematic killing of a certain race/nation...

What matters is the hypocritical attitude of many countries which have commited racial extermination in the past. Instead of just acknowledging the mistakes of the past, thus making sure it is never reiterated, they just refuse to make the truth come to the surface...

Examples are many but I for one am concerned with Turkey in particular and their armenian and pontiac race murders...Other examples are countries in Africa which have commited atrocities and still can't seem to understand what impact they had..

The most profound and controversial issue is how USA has helped all these mass murders (actively or not)...I will not press the issue cause I know that many people in here Are Americans and they will throw their propaganda against me...

Some Links for follow-ups...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/102803.stm

http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.php?titlmenian_Genocide

http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

http://afrocubaweb.com/news/afghangenocide.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_Genocide

Also, one good link, again coming from wikipedia is this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democide

One great blog post about the american genocides is this :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I don't want you to believe all these things...just opening our minds is one really big step from a simple forum...

Notice from truefusion:
Must use the QUOTE bbcode when copying other's post into your own.

Genocide is a massive destruction/termination of something... Like in abt 1942 WW2 Nazi's Started a genocide against jews... It was in lithuania and other countries... It was almost horrible like in the Genocide buildings jews were being killed... There is also a Genocide building or whatever it's called in Kaunas - Lithuania "Fort 9" i think...

I think that most mass murdering ends up as some form of genocide. Few people want to, or have the ability to, wipe out every person in the world. They end up selecting. Whether it is a specific nation, religious group, political party, or whatever, the concept is still the same and constitutes genocide.

What really puzzles me is the validity of the "selection" process for a mass murder to qualify as a genocide. for example, if I were to think, "I'd kill everyone who's black," then I'm sure it would qualify for a genocide, right? I mean, I have (hypothetically, of course. No racism, just for the purpose of illustration) selected to kill black people.

Now, what if, I thought, "I'd kill all harelips." Technically, I have selected but I do think some of you might not agree with each other whether killing harelips is a genocide or not.

Lastly, for a most fuzzy boundary between genocide and just mass murder, what if I were to think, "I'd kill everyone who gets tails when they toss a coin"? I did select a particular (if not a bit unorthodox) group of people, right? So, by definition, it is genocide, right? However, everyone else is gonna say, "No, it's not genocide. Those people have nothing in common."

See the blurred boundaries between genocide and just plain old mass murder?

P.S. I am sure, though, that genocide is mass murder :P

Plenoptic I love your avatar and you know alot... As for this word, all I known was something about the Germans and the Nazis. Nothing more than that. Thanks for posting this, I was wondering this also. w00t

Genesis, is a book in the Bible, which might be what you were thinking of. Genocide really isn't much of a word you probably don't want to hear on the news. Yes the Holocaust was an attempt of genocide and it's really wrong. People that try to take out a certain race or nation or group or religion, or whatever shouldn't be on this world. Just because people are different doesn't mean they should be taken from the Earth. If they felt that way towards your type or group or whatever, you probably wouldn't like it very much either.

Quite wrong my good friend, i am constantly hearing about genocide this year xD first it was a vocab word for english, then it was a vocab word for history. the vocab word i got from english was something along the lines of a Systematic killing of a race, nation, or people and for history i got something like, the delibrate attempt to destroy a religion, nation, or people. Something along the lines of that xD i remember the one i got from the english class more because we went over it more

Dont forget the turkish genoicde against the armenians. The turks will deny to this day that this genocide was every commited by their people, but there are documents that say otherwise.
Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

I would consider genocide the systematic killing of an ethnic race, religious group, cultural group, political group, etc. Mainly though to completely eliminate that group or faction by killing/mass murder. It would be mass murder, not genocide, if the people were not all of a certain background that a rival group has a grudge or something against.