xisto Community
Forbez

What Is Genocide?

Genocide is the mass killing of a group of people as defined by Article 2 of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG) as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; and forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
This guy sure loves wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide

Same, I have heard that alot and always wonderd just never gave a hoot to look it up or google it or anything like that. Sweet thanks for the info now I wont feel so dumbfounded the next time that word comes up ;)

Think about the holocaust. Think about what has gone in in Darfur and the Sudan. Genocide is just one of those things that is evil in many ways. Hitler wanted a genocide of all the "impure" races and we all know how crazy he was. Homicide is the murder of a person, suicide is the murder of yourself, and Genocide is the murder of many (usually a race).I disagree with what mojoman says. Dictionary.com defines genocide as "the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group. " That doesn't mean they ALL have to be similar....just linked in some ways. Genocide is something we need to get rid of as human beings....but there will always people who want to give it a shot.

Genocide? I always thought it was something related with chemistry ;)Dont know why that word is so popular, in online games is often ver used as nicknames, sometimes with a few spell variations like Xenocide.Never could guess it was something related to humanity destruction ;)

I'm getting a pretty much clearer picture on what genocide really means now. Thanks guys!

Think about the holocaust. Think about what has gone in in Darfur and the Sudan. Genocide is just one of those things that is evil in many ways. Hitler wanted a genocide of all the "impure" races and we all know how crazy he was. Homicide is the murder of a person, suicide is the murder of yourself, and Genocide is the murder of many (usually a race).
I disagree with what mojoman says. Dictionary.com defines genocide as "the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group. " That doesn't mean they ALL have to be similar....just linked in some ways. Genocide is something we need to get rid of as human beings....but there will always people who want to give it a shot.

I will have to disagree on that. Just because it involves killing does not necessarily mean that it is wrong or evil. For example, what if we discovered a tribe of xenophobic cultists who kill on sight anyone not affiliated with them. Furthermore, assume that these people are, shall we say, bullet proof but that we have discovered they are fatally allergic to cyanide, that mere skin contact with the stuff kills them in under a minute. Apart from that, they are superior in everything, especially the art of combat and slaughter.

Do we allow these threats to grow rampant in our midst? Shall we ignore the way they decimate our numbers? Suspend your beliefs for a moment and say that they can even bend titanium through sheer muscle power (or maybe even with mind power, who cares?)

The point is that if we do "eliminate" this threat, we commit genocide. See, not everything they taught us to be evil actually is. They used to say killing is wrong, but what about self-defense? In the same way, genocide, while usually appearing to be unreasonable, can also be the only "right" course of action to take.

Ahh, but I do tend to conjure far-fetched scenarios; pardon me. After all, what are the odds that there exist an undiscovered tribe of xenophobic titanium axe-wielding madmen? (madpersons, for the more genteel of you) ;)

What is Genocide? To wipe out a people. It is a horrible word. It is a horrible action, but yet it happens. "Never Again" we say something as a Genocide will ever happen again, yet we the ones who led the United Nations to these words, the United States ignores Darfur, ignored Rwandan during their genocides, but yet it is happening.

Well i learnt this in my Social Studies class. It actually means mass killing on a large scale of many people. You are right the German killing of the Jews is the best example to show this.

I'm getting a pretty much clearer picture on what genocide really means now. Thanks guys!I will have to disagree on that. Just because it involves killing does not necessarily mean that it is wrong or evil. For example, what if we discovered a tribe of xenophobic cultists who kill on sight anyone not affiliated with them. Furthermore, assume that these people are, shall we say, bullet proof but that we have discovered they are fatally allergic to cyanide, that mere skin contact with the stuff kills them in under a minute. Apart from that, they are superior in everything, especially the art of combat and slaughter.

Do we allow these threats to grow rampant in our midst? Shall we ignore the way they decimate our numbers? Suspend your beliefs for a moment and say that they can even bend titanium through sheer muscle power (or maybe even with mind power, who cares?)

The point is that if we do "eliminate" this threat, we commit genocide. See, not everything they taught us to be evil actually is. They used to say killing is wrong, but what about self-defense? In the same way, genocide, while usually appearing to be unreasonable, can also be the only "right" course of action to take.

Ahh, but I do tend to conjure far-fetched scenarios; pardon me. After all, what are the odds that there exist an undiscovered tribe of xenophobic titanium axe-wielding madmen? (madpersons, for the more genteel of you) :P

Granted.....if there was a case like that then Genocide wouldn't be evil. I just go by the examples i'm given like what has gone on in Darfur and Germany in the past. Even the band System of a Down is trying to raise awareness for the attempted Armenian Genocide that has gone on. Basically all occurences of genocide....or attempted genocide should I say.....have been with evil intentions.

I did enjoy reading that scenario you gave though. Pretty cool stuff.

Yeah a genocide is the killing or destruction of an entire race, or religion its not a genocide if you just kill a whole bunch of people. The holocaust is a great example, and what they wanted to do was get rid of the entire Jewish religion. I don't know of that many cases of genocide throughout history but i am sure they has been a couple of them. I know the movie hotel Rwanda was a depiction of a genocide between the Hutu and Tutsi in Zaire (Congo). That was a very good movie in my opinion and that would defiantly give you an outlook on what the conditions were like and what was going on during a genocide. Hopefully we have have another genocide again, but the Hutu and Tutsi's are still using genocidal violence in Congo.

Genocide, Is the Elimination and/or destruction of any group of people or living beings such as hitler and the holocaust.

Genocide means, to kill all people of a certain race/religion,etc. So if you kill all the Jews in the world in would be a genocide. On a smaller scale if you kill all the Jews in America, but not in the whole world, it will also count as a genocide, but only that of American Jews. Some people are accusing George Bush of trying to commit genocide on Muslim, because of the recent wars in Muslim countries, although that is a pretty serious accusation, that is probably untrue. He is however guilty of several war crimes.

Well,There are a lot genocides other than Hitler, Saddam and Bush. If you stick to the definition then every war that has ever happened is a genocide and the recent 9/11 incident too is a genocide. The greatest genocide has been the world wars.We know what a genocide is and how bad it is but yet we choose leaders who do not care about the actual people but themselves. The only thing that they care about is war and there is no justification to that for if they were truly against war then they would have done everything possible to stop every kind of war.Genocides are truly gruesome things as they cause scarring of a lot of people mentally and physically leading to a more malformed nation. Think about it if we have a war we destroy houses and lands and poison water bodies and then at the end the hospitals and the government has to take all kinds of loans and people have to cut down their standard of living just because of another person's stupid mistake.

Never knew it was such a big word. I always thought it was to do with the bible. But I guess i'm wrong

Genocide is in the bible too lol, for example
In Numbers 25:4 it says,

The LORD said to Moses, "Take all the leaders of these people, kill them and expose them in broad daylight before the LORD, so that the LORD's fierce anger may turn away from Israel.”

Clearly supporting genocide :| and who said the bible was all good?

----------------------

The greatest genocide has been the world wars.

I believe that the second world war was the largest act of genocide in the history that i've learned. Mainly because Hittler actually wanted these people dead and therefor killed him, where as the other world wars, the people were just casualties of war Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

Nice point there,Exactly Hitler had this weird notion that all jews deserved to die because he felt that they were not the perfect race or something. It is unbelievable that kids were standing naked in the snow waiting to be cast in the gas chambers.Then their corpses were just dumped like trash and It is truly sad that people had to hide from their fellow humans.Hitler believed that germans were from the Aryan race so they were God's race or something