xisto Community
rovertos

Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

Not really a waste of time for thoes whom say its a waste of time don't like it are not interested in it ~ well one thing is playing them one thing how long you play them ~ if you don't work or sit there hours and hours then it causes a distraction of your life to get things done ~ although you see on screen visualize etc but when you see your self its like all you doing is pushing buttons stare at a screen but hours and hours its not good especially RPGS they really take a long time some are great FF7 was looong but I don't want to play something for that long short games are better Off if the games long should save it time to time not spend hours and hours .But over all its not a waste somtimes when people get involve in mugen games street fighter games over and over then its a waste

Hmm...

It depends really, I'm a musician and also have a daytime job and I still love to play video games, most of my band mates all own some video game console or a gaming PC (I own both) and like to play too. Don't play all day and that's it, I personally the on Sundays the most since Sundays are like...Nothing, there is ZERO to do on Sundays (unless you're religious and go to church) and the next day is work so can't come to late from going out for example because I have to get up early the next morning (which means in my case just not going out on Sundays) so I play video games most of the day (with breaks of course). Some times I like seeing my girlfriend on sundays but usually we see each other Fryday night and/or Saturday the most.

I have the responsibility of work, paying rent AND being a professional musician (well, kind of) I can do everything and I did when I was a teenager I loved music and video games (although music has become first priority since I was around 11 or 12) you just have to know how to devide your life I guess. There's also the problems of people who criticize things (we all do but some of us DO know what we are talking about) don't usually know much about the thing that they are criticizing, I play Death Metal and I have gotten criticized even though what we play is so complex and intricate people see it as "noise" so yeah, then people see video games as "waste of time/life" which really depends...

There are people who are totally obsessed and if you choose to play video games instead of going out with your friends and/or girlfriend then you have a serious problem. Also not all video games are mindless...Contrary to popular belief most aren't actually and even games like Madden (American Footbal itself is considered mindless conmpared to other sports) requires quite some thinking I found out from someone who likes to play that game.

In my case I usually like play games that require thinking like most RPGs (specially Japanese RPGs) like the Final Fantasy series and others, Silent Hill games which usually have a very intricate storyline and many of those are based on ancient occult pagan beliefs, ancient civilizations and black magic which I like to read a lot about, there are even RPG games that criticize society and/or religion but you're average joe who plays games "just for fun" doesn't usually realize these things.

My point after all this (I know it's long!) is that everybody has a different opinion on what's good in life. For me being in a religion and worshipping something you don't know exists is a waste of time, working on an office all day no matter how much you get payed is a waste of time, watching American Idol is a waste of time, but the people who do those things usually enjoy themselves and that's what matters I play video games because I like them NOT because I have to 'cause there's nothing to do.

-reply by Moonfrost

Yes, video games are complete waste of time. We play the games usually when we bored from work or when we come to home after completing any work.I agree that video games played for relaxation purpose also. but is it perpose really get fullfilled? The answer is NO. We come from outside after finising work that means what our body actually reqiures is REST. and playing video games give REST to us neither physically nor mentally.If you are free from morning, doing nothing just yawning, taking nap, then to play video game is better option to spend time. :lol:

Where

First of all blackcaps what the heck are you talking about? you're pretty confused aren't you?

You see most people play video games because "they like" playing video games.

I for example am a musician, I have a daytime job AND I love to play video games, I don't see playing video games as a waste of time, I look forward to playing them when I'm not at work, playing with my band OR writing/playing music, I also like to read a lot of books on varying subjects (mostly metaphysics, occult, science fiction, cosmos etc etc) and I enjoy playing video games a lot, I own like 5 video game consoles and a powerful PC for gaming and I don't even play that often, it's just that I like having "options" and not having limitations because I want to play a game that came out on a particular system.

Most of the comments here are EXTREMELY biased and I'm sorry to say but most of you don't know what you are talking about (most, not all), iGuest on Sep. 7th made a great comment now of course he said he is a kid while I am an adult, but you have to think that for the people who is playing them it's probably not a waste of time, I enjoy myself when playing video games and it makes me happy and I don't see it as a waste of time at all, but I'm not obsessed either and I go out all the time and I also have a girlfriend and have time to take care of things such as rent.

It's the same for me but this is just MY opinion, movies, sports and television is a COMPLETE waste of time FACT, but that's just my opinion others may think differently.

-reply by Moonfrost

Different point of view...Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!First of all blackcaps what the heck are you talking about? you're pretty confused aren't you?You see most people play video games because "they like" playing video games.Ifor example am a musician, I have a daytime job AND I love to playvideo games, I don't see playing video games as a waste of time, I lookforward to playing them when I'm not at work, playing with my band ORwriting/playing music, I also like to read a lot of books on varyingsubjects (mostly metaphysics, occult, science fiction, cosmos etc etc)and I enjoy playing video games a lot, I own like 5 video game consolesand a powerful PC for gaming and I don't even play that often, it'sjust that I like having "options" and not having limitations because I want to play a game that came out on a particular system

Mostof the comments here are EXTREMELY biased and I'm sorry to say but mostof you don't know what you are talking about (most, not all), iGuest onSep. 7th made a great comment now of course he said he is a kid while Iam an adult, but you have to think that for the people who is playingthem it's probably not a waste of time, I enjoy myself when playingvideo games and it makes me happy and I don't see it as a waste of timeat all, but I'm not obsessed either and I go out all the time and Ialso have a girlfriend and have time to take care of things such asrent.

It's the same for me but this is just MY opinion, movies,sports and television is a COMPLETE waste of time FACT, but that's justmy opinion others may think differently.

-reply by Moonfrost

Yes, video games are waste of time.Unless you are learning something of it.I think that when the game is new, you are learning, but then, when you become addicted, you are not learning anymore.So you should play until you start to win, then stop! haha

Replying to xboxrulz

He'll melt? I'm 13 years old, and I have been video game free for a month now, by my own choice. And I didn't just play games casually, I was a pro. I was in the top 3000+ on Battle Field: Bad Company leader boards (PS3,) I can play almost any song that you want me to on expert in Guitar Hero. I worshiped games. I played them at least 2 hours a day, and that's only because of school. I had subscriptions to EGM and GameInformer. And then I stopped. I realized that it was a total waste of time. I didn't want to waste away playing some stupid game for the rest of my life. There are some positives, however. I don't regret the 9 years I've spent with an awarance and appreciation of video games. I have really fast reflexes and I'm very good with most types of technology. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going amish or anything. I still use the computer, but only for Firefox, OpenOffice, iTunes, and AIM. I don't have any games on it though. I still use technology, but in the way it was meant to be used.

Games are a waste of time but not really. Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

Games are becoming a waste of time for me. I grew up in the gaming generation. The nintendo was my first gaming system. When I was a kid, I didn't want to do anything else but go home and play super mario 3 all day long. 21 years later, I still game! Having a xbox360, ps3, wii, psp and ds helps my cause alot more. From being addicted and not going to school and now playing in moderation for 1 hour a daym  I realize gaming is a double edged sword. It can be a time killer or a fantasy world. The gaming generation is becoming more immersed so that you must live in the game through online rpgs or play 20+ hours to complete it offline. It's up to you but I find life more interesing outside my house nowadays. 

-reply by Mr.Popo

I can't believe so many people are agreeing with this.  

Obviously, you don't understand what video games are.  So let me explain.  

A video game is always one of two things: either a storytelling medium, or a sport to be played with friends.  Now, if someone it reading a book, we consider that to be good, right?  Literature is good for he brain, it stimlulates creativity and opens our minds to the world in ways that normal life can't.  Movies, for someone who understands th art and studies them, are also good: they have messages and a very tangible artistic value.  These two things are storytelling mediums: their main goal is to tell a story.  It is the same with video games.  Think of them as interactive movies: you watch a story unfold, and for most of it you actually get to control your character's actions and, on some level, influence the story.  Say what you want about them, but the main goal of a single-player game is to tell a story, and if you are going to call that a waste of time, I suggest seling all your books and never watching a movie again.  

If a game is not a story, it is a sport.  In fact, most games have both, such as Halo and Gears of War.  Both of these series tell stories (Halo has an especially epic and intriguing story), but they also have multiplayer modes, allowing multiple people to play competitively at one time, or even allowing them to go through the story together.  But story aside, multiplayer is a social event.  It is a group of friends getting together, in person or online, so play against and with each other in the same way they would play basketball or Risk.  True, they are not getting physical activity from this, but consider the double standard it would represent if you use this as an argument: it's okay if they have a career indoors, it's okay if they use the entire day to fully read a book, and it's okay for friends to get together and watch a movie, but it 's a waste of time for them to get together to play a video game?  This mindset makes most arguments against video games illogical and hypocritical.  

The point is, whether people aretaking part in an epic adventure of love, loss, conflict, and emotion, or just getting together to have some fun with their friends, video games are far from a waste of time.  They tell stories beyond imagining and give people new ways to connect and have fun.  Should they be played all day long?  Of course not.  But to say that they are inherently a waste of time is a very, very ignorant and biased statement. 

-reply by Thaius

okay I'm sick and tired of people blaming video games for violence in the real world. YES, alot of video games have violence in them, but the big picture is, violence sells. Face it, the human being thrives on violence, we enjoy it, we watch it in movies, tv, internet, AND video games. If a child does something wrong, the parent never takes responsibility for it and usually blames something else like video games. If a child ever does something like kill people or hurt someone, then blames it on a video game, its only a scape goat to get out of the trouble he/she is in. The child in question should not of probably been playing the video anyway. Most M rated video games get into the hands of children under 18 because theyre PARENTS buy them for their kid(s). If theres anyone to blame its the parents.

now video games are not a waste of time, believe it or not they help teach things that aren't taught in schools, things like  good hand eye coordination, motor and spatial skills, following directions, problem solving and logic, I mean it goes on. In shooters you have to move your characer along with the aiming of the gun plus firing, that puts together major hand eye coordination. Famous surgens use video games to help them as well, most high level ones play video games before operating on someone. Playing video games stimulates the brain, it can also improve reaction times, since in alot of them you need to react to something rather quickly if it pops out at you from no where.

-reply by Munchies

waste of time?Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

Waste of time? that all depends on what you want to fill your time with. What possible fullfillment do you get from reading that good book? To me Thats a waste of time. I compete with other players, sharpen eye hand cooridnation and meet alot of different people playing online games. The waste of time is you trying to tell other people that gamming is a waste of time. You don't have the right to define anything for others whether it be a waste of time or something that YOU believe is worthwhile. Wake up, the world turns by individual standards by individual people. Believe it or not. Like it, or not.

-reply by DANNY regunos

Maybe for those who dontVideo Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

If you are having fun doing something I don't think it is a waste of time at all. Real life does get a bit boring every now and then and sometimes it's nice to have a means of escape just to take the edge off a little bit. I am a full time college student and I have plenty of friends and a girlfriend, but sometimes it is fun to just chill when you hit a lull in class work and you want to have a little fun to turn on the xbox360 or ps3 and play an hour of Halo 3 or maybe some Metal Gear Solid. If you think video games are a waste of time you have to include watching movies and tv in general as well. Atleast video games are interactive instead of just sitting and observing. Because video games are becoming more and more complex, they require a lot more thinking and better coordination. Video games are just as if not more intellectually stimulating as board games or any kind of puzzles. Take Halo 3 multiplayer for example...The best players are the smartest players. It is completely strategic and figuring out ways to outsmart your opponent is the only way to win. For me and my friends, video games are also a social medium and a fun way to all do something together. I don't think video games should own your life but a few hours here and there won't harm anyone. 

-reply by Calvin

How are video games 'a complete waste of time'? They are not a complete waste of time. They can, in fact, improve reflexes and improve creative thinking. Also, they're FUN. They are used for RECREATION. Well actually, if you have ever heard of MLG (Major League Gaming), then you would have heard that players actually compete for MONEY, and it is officially known as a SPORT. Which would mean SOCCER and FOOTBALL are also a complete waste of time.

Games drives the modern world. Video games triggers your brain to think critically. It is a way to train your strategic part of the brain without something boring like chess. Video game is now essential for kids and teenagers.
Face it, if you take away your son's XBOX forever after he played it for 2 months (especially HALO 2), he'll melt or even take away his internet and all that stuff.

Side note: it also depends on his interests.

I totally agree with this.

Video games do give people advantages these days. I started playing games, and now I am trying to get into the industry, including Architectural Level Design and alot of other things. Also socializing on a video game is very good, especially if you are talking to someone from a different culture, you can learn many things.

I find that people that disagree with video games and also say they create violent behaviors [which is still not proven and never will be] are still not accepting the way of the modern age.

Yup, video games do have some benefits. It depends on the video game: for example, some might offer increased reflexes (FPS games, platformers), some might challenge your brain (strategy games), and some might teach you something (games based on history).