xisto Community
Zero Ziat

What Was Your First Computer, And How Did You Learn To Use It? After hours of searching which category this fits in, I couldnt f

I can't remember the name, but it is actually not much different from the one I am using at the moment. :) How I learned too use it? I learned a lot from my very, very "clever" brother, and I learned from friends, and at my own. "I learned as I moved down the path", get it? Haha. In the beginning I was really bad at typing quickly, or typing at all. Now I can type without looking down. :) Isn't that fun? Anyway; I have learned most of what I know, myself. And then we also learn a lot at school.

im not sure what is the cpu name i only remember its windows 92.i didnt know how i learn it too but most of the things where practical stuffs are involved, i just know how to do it but not really sure about what im doing.Well, at least i didnt make the computer crash :DP.S i got it when im four years old, its so fun playing with stuffs that you're not familiar with.

Edited by nstay (see edit history)

My first computer (in 2001) was HP which has CPU:600 Mhz , 128 MB Ram , 15 GB harddisk, 8 MB video card. I learned "how to use computer" by deleting the operating system files in Windows directory. :( I have made my system down lots of times, but learned how Windows runs.After that I wonder how I can make my own exe files. And I found Turbo Pascal, and I built some MSDos programs. After that I found Delphi and built win32 programs. By the way I also learned html coding, after that ASP (Active Server Pages) web programming or coding language to build dynamic pages. I found ASP slow, so I learned PHP and Mysql.By the way I also wrote some J2Me programs which can be written in Java Language and working on java enabled phones.If you learn a programming language you can learn the other easy.Nowadays I am trying to improve my Assembly knowledge to debug exe files. :D

Edited by Erdemir (see edit history)

Commodore 64 way back in the 80s, I remember the old tape drives, the 5.1/2 floppy drives and the old game cartridges. I was also fascinated at the old BASIC operating system which at the time was a lot more complicated than DOS, which at the time DOS was relatively new and microsoft at the time wasnt as big. Even went to the lengths of trying to learn the "BASIC" operating system type language, which iirc had to type a series of commands after a number.

My first computer was a pentuim 2, with 4mb video card. I was like 7 at that time. I used to play little kid games on it. I didn't actually start learning about computers until like 5 years later. Now I know how to build my own computer!

My first computer was an IBM Aptiva Multimedia. My parents bought it for me one Christmas when I was eight years old, at the price of around $2500 from Radio Shack. It had a Pentium I, 100 Mhz processor in it. Pretty slow, eh? It also came with Windows 3.1(1) installed, with a CD for an optional OS/2 Warp operating system. My method of learning to use it was through experience. I simply explored by clicking different buttons and reading help files, etc., and it seemed to come naturally to me. One of the famous mishaps that dealt with this computer was when I accidentally put a BIOS password on it and forgot the freaking password. Ha! Hilarious. The hard drives that we put in it have run down a couple of times, but other than that, the hardware has worked perfectly for 11 years. One agonizing thing that led me to explore more of this system was my accidental installation of the ENTIRE other OS, OS/2 Warp LOL. There was a button labeled with OS/2 Warp in one of the panels and I clicked it. I inserted the CD ROM as it prompted me, and it proceeded to overwrite windows with OS/2 Warp. I was pretty wrecked because I didn't know how to play any of my games or use any of the typical software I used on it. It took me a while to learn how to revert back to Windows. I remember being extremely happy one evening when I finally figured out how.This computer was also the first computer on which I ventured onto the Internet, under a child's AOL account. (I subsequently manipulated my dad's password out of him, so I could explore the entire net as I wished :D.) Voila, chatrooms, etc. One funny thing about this was that the computer didn't even come with a modem back in the nineties, so my uncle, who was versed in computers, bought me a winmodem for it. This was also the same computer I first tried Linux on, that is, Red Hat Linux 7. I've had 4 computers since then.

My first computer I ever used was a very old Apple Mac. I hate Macs. I never really learned to use one properly. This was at school, before I bought a computer for myself.The first computer I actually bothered to use properly was the old Pentium II computer my dad bought for me when I was preparing for exams. It ran Windows 95, and basically when I had free time I'd just toy around with it, and learn slowly how the Operating System worked. Also, I had access to a limited connection to the Internet *coughDial-Upcough* which also helped me when I needed to know some things about Windows. That's once I grasped the idea of using search engines...

My first computer I ever used was a very old Apple Mac. I hate Macs. I never really learned to use one properly. This was at school, before I bought a computer for myself.

Before I had my own computer, and when I lived with my mom, she had an Apple Macintosh, /way/ back in the day. :D I remember playing a game on it where you had a dinosaur whose bones you had to put back in their places. How could you hate macs!? They're much more stylish than PCs, and the interface is a lot more integrated, it seems. They might be more expensive as hardware, but the OS software is cheaper, etc. etc. And they're good for digital artists.

Yeah... Me? I don't remember but I am interested to know about you. :D
I know it may seem a stupid question but it interests me.

So...

What was your first comp and how did you learn to use it?

I have seen people using it.. But exploring a computer is the assumption i take from you when you mean using the system. It was a windows 2000.. Pretty advanced OS i should say. I have a special liking towards that OS. Now i have hands on experience on the new and very old operating systems...

My first system was some IBM PC. I don't remember the generation or model for it. I was 12 yrs old :DMy dad taught me how to use it. I don't even remember the exact specifications. It was loaded with DOS initially, and later Windows 3.1. I still like Windows 3.1 bcoz of the interface.I think it also had a 5 1/2 " Floppy drive bay.

well lets see here, that was a IBM 8088 and a Tape Drive. yes a cassestte drive. only Dos, and the monitor was a old BW TVThem was the days. Someplace I still have the old thing. will have to search and see if it still works

My dad built me a computer when i was 3.I loved it, and spend age on it each night, gradually building up my knowledge.By the time i was 7 I knew more than all of my classmates (most of them only used computers in school)And now, im a complete and utter 'GEEK'And im loving it!!!!Well its useful anyway!

Speaking of first computers, the first "Proper" PC i got was a 386SX, 25mhz with 40mb Hard Drive and a 3.5 FDD, and a external 5.5 FDD. The brand was Amstrad (now defunct), which at the time was a okay brand, however it was difficult to upgrade some parts considering the parts Amstrad used was different to other manufacturers around at the time (Compaq, HP, even Commodore, etc).