xisto Community
Zero Ziat

What Was Your First Computer, And How Did You Learn To Use It? After hours of searching which category this fits in, I couldnt f

My first computer wasn't branded and it was assembled as by that time I knew many things about computers as I used to be at my uncles house almost 3 days in a week and he was a computer engineer and as my grasping power was good, I learnt many things about his assembled one and actually I never knew that companies create full PC systems.It had a 14" coloured monitor I still remember it was ViewSonic E40 as I got my first computer not more than 7 years back. It had AMD and was slower than P1, I don't remember the exact configuration, it had an SIS motherboard, and pretty much everything that was availble at that time and also I had an HP Desktjet 640C Printer which still works but I don't use it! :)

I got my first computer when I was 4 years old, my dad was a police crops chef. And brocht it home from work. It had a silly game wich you can create faces with. ( thinking back now dont think it was a game )Am 18 now bin years but i stil remember quite wel ^^ loved doing faces and stuff dunno why tho lol

It wasn't mine, but it was my dad's. I don't know what he used it for, I never really had much interest in it. I only remember the operating system was DOS and it had a veeery small b&w screen. The screen was so tiny, now as a graphic designer and illustrator I can hardly imagine that people ever wanted/had to work on such a mini-monitor, bigger screens are so much more fun and candy for the eye :P It made a lot of noise aswell, when being on one floor of the house, you could hear the computer running even when it was located on the floor above you. My dad never let me turn off that computer myself, because it was a 'sensitive machine, not meant for kids to play' or something, hehehe... I think it did have a prehistoric version of Paint on it, which was also only in black and white (and in grey :) ) and I only drew houses and eyes with it, and perhaps random rectangles and circles. I didn't spend more than 4 minutes in Paint. What did fascinate me was this game in which you were controlling some airplane and had to fly forever over some map. When a city became visible you had to drop bombs or shoot and then you heard a lot of noise. That was the first pc 'game' I ever played, and now when I look back I realize it was a very boring game, I can't believe I nagged and begged my dad to let me play it :P Even simple old PacMan or ping-pong is better than that. Furthermore my dad used to give my typing lessons on that computer, and that's how he learned me some commands, but I've forgotten all of them by now.

My parents have only ever had about, I think, 3 computers that I remember. The first was an old Dell with Windows 95. Never did much on it, only really got into computers when they got our current one, a Dell Dimension 4550. Now I have a laptop, Inspiron e1505 with WinXP Media Center Edition that I use almost every day :) . I learned to use computers through self teaching and maybe a few things I saw on the net. Computer class never really taught me anything I hadn't already found out.

Edited by DarkPsycho (see edit history)

This will show my age, but I learned BASIC on an Apple II in grade school. Then my parent's got me this weird Timex computer- yeah, like the watches- It was basically a keyboard that had a couple of slots in the back for cartridges, one cord that went to a tape recorder and another cord going into your tv. Wacky. After I broke that, it was several years before i got a Colecovision Adam (? I think that's what it was called) It was their "gaming system" with a keboard that you could do BASIC on. I didn't get a "modern" computer until about 1996, a Gateway

My first computer was a family computer that we were given. It was my aunt's first one as well. I ended up learning it faster than the others in the house just by trial and error and the fact that they're not usually all that hard to deal with. She knew just enough to work it because of things she had to do at work, but this was her first personal computer. She still (on our fifth computer) knows about what she did before and we're on XP now.

I got to have a Tandy with two 5 1/4 floppy drives. I played with the computer, blew it up a couple times. Then I found I like playing with computers and decided to take computer classes at a college.

Oh wow, I first started using the computer for lion king games when I was like 3. As I got older and older, I started to do more and more things until I got my own laptop. At that point I started teaching myself Programming and stuff like that. And now here I am! ^^

The first computer I used was a Pentium I, running on DOS.Not the easiest way to learn, but after 3 PC's I kinda got the hang of it.This knowledge of DOS really was usefull after I started using Win95 and so on.I can still remember my favorite games on that computer, Quake I and Duke Nukem :P

My first computer was Commodore 64 and it is just classical. I worked day and nights on it. Though I was too young to do some really good programming I knew basic commands and also commands for its system which in fact were needed to play games. lol but it was good times. No system crashing stable and workable. I remember some radio stations were playing codes for games. And it was so cool because they you would put new casset in the tape recorder and in the morning you had brand new games. It was so cool times. And no one was complaining about copyright issues everyone were like one huge family. They were pretty expensive but they are classics. And games I played on them I often serach for on the computer to remmeber my childehood. It was really nice.

The 1st time I use computer when I was 6 years old. Run on IBM-clone PC, Black & White screen, DOS.NOt really my computer, but can be called as my father->my family->mine PC. hehehheThat time I only use to play games ( Dont remember what games) B) B)Today also, I like to use for palying games (but learn to fully use computer by forcing myself learning programming, develop website, etc) :P

my very first computer was gifted to me by ma father when i was in my 10th grade. its 6 years now since i got it. i still have the computer safely in my house. it configuration was,intel celeron processorsome compatible motherboard128MB RAM40GB hard-diskno graphics card300W SMPSspeaker setit was a very slow computer but still i love it.it was a decent model when i bought it. now it is nothing compared to modern computers. i will keep that computer till it goes really bad. i still love it!

I'm not sure what windows it ran but there were different tabs like applications etc. It was just a screen with the computer built in (kinda like a mac) cept better than a mac because it isn't one. I am self taught in computers so I suppose experimenting but to be honest I ever really used it as it wasn't the best of things... thne again this things bout 4years old so im getting a new 1 in may.

my very first computer was gifted to me by ma father when i was in my 10th grade.

what age were you in '10th grade cos i'd like to see cos in uk we have years of school 1-13 (includes infants and secondary and 6th form if you stay on) and reception and nursery