xisto Community
darran

Interracial Relationship Will you accept it?

"For e.g. when I was walking with my girlfriend, a group of young kids said something like 'A black and a white'."

I get kinda the same thing, we get a lot of dirty looks from other teenagers and sometimes some comments, all of which aren't so nice. but i focus on how happy i am out with my (rather queer) friends, just like you should focus on how much you love this person! and i totally agree with the person that said you should smile back at the people who stare, i do. defy racism, smile at the world, cos sometime it won't be so bad.

Personally, i've only had any form of relationship with white males and females, mostly males. it's not a preference, it's not that i'm not attracted to other races, i've just never had the opportunity, although i have no problem with people who just aren't attracted to other races.

i think the internet helps as well, spreading information about each others cultures and bringing us all together. Smile! :)

that is messed up! You should not have any stares at you just because you're not of the same race. jesus, what a backward country singapore must be!
Me and just aout every other white guy would love to have a latino beauty like J-LO or an african darling like beyonce going out with us. The only stares we'd get would be ones of envy :)

In terms of economy and placing in the world, I am very proud of Singapore. But in terms of accepting social changes such as this, we are so far behind. Definitely one of the last. This is the one thing I am disappointed in, the government has been emphasizing on harmony between races, if 2 races come together in love and do not get respected or acknowledged by their respective races, then how is this racial harmony?

My question is: will staring hurt you? If it does, that means you are not a strong person. If it dosen't, which is certainly the case for me, then you are free to enjoy any realationship that comes your way, and not stress out one bit about that aspect.

Staring doesn't hurt me. But I have never been a person who likes all the attention to be on. I have never taken these stares as something which will hurt my relationship, it just irks me that people stare just because we are of different skin color.

PS: So far there isn't any negative reply to this topic which is a plus sign.

I find it amazing that everyone is focusing on skin color as a sign of mixed races. While that is the most obvious sign of someone being a different race it is not the only one. At one time, white parents of different races (Italian, French, German, Romans, Anglos, Normans, etc) would kill their sons or daughters for even thinking of marrying someone outside their race, class or culture. Understand that in your country, you are the trailblazer. While the trail has been blazed in Europe and North America, you are stuck in the wilderness. These people aren't necessarily full of hate but fear. Also, trailblazers intimidate because you have the strenght to go against accepted culture. What has happened in America is at first trailblazers wanted tolerance. Not they demand acceptance. All that does is create unhappiness because you are looking outside yourself for fulfillment. Stay strong and stay the course if this is what you believe in. If you feel you don't have the strenght to hang in there, then break off the relationship so your girl can find someone who loves her for her and not for other's acceptence.Good luck.I would like to add that when I was younger, interracial relationships were rare in the southern US. I would stare not because I disagreed but because it was unusual. Also, I would think, "Wow, he/she must love them." The same holds true when you see a really nice looking woman, no matter the race, with an ugly man. You can't help thinking, "What does he have?"Now of course as I get older, all women are beautiful and anyone who finds someone is truly blessed.

I believe this is the route in life I want to take, and I want to have the responsibility to give happiness to the girl whom I consider my love. This has been occuring for close to 4 years now, I have no problem with it because I just get on with life, a happy coupled life with my girlfriend

Hi. In todays world racism is not practiced to a very great extent as it used to be. But still people don't easily accept couples of different race. Usually it so happens that people go for the people from their own race or religion but sometimes it so happens that our colleagues who are not from the same race get attracted to each other. I feel this attraction is absolutely normal. But I also feel that to develop a relationship one should look more for compatibility and understanding and not on attraction solely.

It is seen that people from the same caste get fed-up by the people of their own caste, this is when they develop attraction towards other race/caste/religion. After all change is a way of life and everyone requires tat change! So if we see a couple who are different in their race, we should think that they must have definitely thought about it twice before going ahead as after all its their life. We should not discourage or laugh on such couples as it will lead to lossof their relationship and ultimately lead to loss of the integrity maintained in the society in general.

Just remember, respect people and people will respect you in retrun. Also remember that you are also a human and you can be in the same situation too someday. After all 'LOVE IS BLIND', it does not see religion or race, it just goes by human instincts which inturn are not always under our control. All the best for your love life!

I only have one thing to say, we're all human ain't we? Why is it we discrinmante agasint ourselves yet condem world leaders when theyh start wars??

Oh, thats the other thing too, it depends on excatly how common it is in the country. I'll use the example above, America will see alot of it and therefore get over it, whereas your country find it new and interesting to look at.Haven't you ever seen something reallly amazing for the first time and looked at it, only to find out your staring at it for long periods of time? Its just depends, i say use the catch line.. ' Take a photo, it will last longer..' and some will. :)

If anything, they may not even be intentionally racist. Rather, it's the environment and such a relationship is so extremely rare that some people cannot help themselves but to stare. As was suggested earlier, give them a smile and get on your way. You seem to have the right idea, in any case, so best of luck to you and your girlfriend.

I just really don't care about race... I think it's fine to have an interracial relationship and know how you feel. Ish. Well, people are like that, I guess.

I guess the opinion will vary depending on the age of the individual responding.In America, if an older person was to respond to this, there would probably be some rejection to it...simply because they have lived in a time where the African American race was discriminated heavily. To see a white man or woman with a black individual would be offended to someone who is living in the past.To the younger generation, I don't think there would be heavy rejection on it, unless their parents gave them some morals and values that they held and currently hold that existed back in the days of intense racism. I feel todays generation are more open to finding the true love and not defining or limiting it to their own race and color. I personally don't mind it, but I don't feel I would ever take part in an interracial relationship. For some reason it would make me uncomfortable, with that reason probably being that my family might find it wrong, which I believe would be the case. It is unfortunate, but some of us still live in the past.

I think it is perfectly ok, it is all a matter of personal preference. I really hate categorizing and discrimination. It is what makes us believe we cant like a person from a different color, a song from a different genre, etc... It is what causes all types of wars and fights.

I had a girlfriend who was a different race and had same problem with staring people but I didn't care about that. You just have to ignore it.By the way I spent 3 months in Singapore a couple of years ago and I like that city.