xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Non-english Speakers In America

why spanish speaking people should speak englishNon-english Speakers In America

hey first of all i have learned constitution pretty well and could have kicked any immigrants buts. The only reason they know it better is cause they had to memorize it to get into our country. Once they pass they say "what the heck with it" and completely forget about it.So I believe anybody who says immigrants like spanish speaking people know it better are completely wrong.

-reply by Sneaky Irish guy

American English Needs To Be PreservedNon-english Speakers In America

I was laid off from my job in October 2008 and haven?t been able to locate suitable employment in my area (Central Florida) because I do not know Spanish. Nearly every job posting I have found during my job search that I qualify for based on my skills require fluent bilingual Spanish/English speaking candidates. Out of frustration while job hunting, I did a Google search ?Where can I live in the USA where I don?t have to speak Spanish?? and came upon this topic of discussion.

I was born in Florida (Yes, one of the few native Floridians), but have lived in many US states in my lifetime. I too, like most Americans, took 2 years of a foreign language, but I chose German for the fun of it. I never thought I?d have use for German, Spanish or any other language within my own country; only if traveling out of my country. Boy, was I ever wrong.

I left my primarily English speaking country when I joined the Air Force and lived in Japan and Guam for nearly 8 years (1991-1999). While living abroad, I learned enough Japanese to be pleasant, order meals or ask questions I needed to get around Japan, but even in Japan, the Japanese I met loved the opportunity to practice their conversational English with me so I was always able to communicate very well in Japan. I was a guest in their country so I abided by their customs. In Guam, since it was a US territory, I spoke only English. There were Chamarro (similar to Spanish) speaking locals, but they all also spoke English as well. I did learn a few phrases.

When I returned to the US in 1999 (my home state of Florida), I was shocked to see so many people speaking Spanish; it was as if I came home to a foreign country. It made me wonder which country I had served all my years of military service. Even then, I had trouble finding work because of employers starting to require bilingual Spanish/English employees, but I was still able to find adequate employment through a temporary agency without too much trouble in 1999. I had Spanish/English speaking friends and even a Puerto Rican boyfriend for about 6 years, but none of them ever pushed me to learn Spanish. I learned a few phrases, but that?s about it. They all felt that if you live in America, you speak English. However, not all Spanish speaking people believe this.

10 years have passed, and now it is getting nearly impossible to find a job in Central or South Florida without knowing Spanish; even through a temporary agency. I?m still looking for work in the Central Florida area, but have moved in with my boyfriend who lives in Iceland because I have lost everything I owned in Florida. Yep, I chose to live in yet another country. Icelandic is the primary homeland language spoken in Iceland, but they also require all their citizens to learn English and Danish. I?m starting to pick up some Icelandic, but because I know English, I?m able to communicate with Icelandic and other foreign visitors to Iceland.

I find it strange that English is accepted in nearly every other country as a ?universal? communication language, but it is being forced out of America by Spanish speaking people. I have met people from all over the world that have been very offended when they come to America, especially Florida, try to communicate in English and are responded to in Spanish. They expect Americans to speak English. Then you have other foreign immigrants to the US that are offended because they put an effort in to learn English and are seeing special concessions given to the Spanish language? even Creole and French languages. Is their native language any less important? No, it?s not, but it is ridiculous to expect Americans to learn every language on the planet to compensate for all the immigrants that come to America each year.

Where our fore fathers went wrong was to expect that the American English language would never be threatened and therefore not declaring an official language for the USA. However, it is very apparent which language is the official language in the USA? it is the language that our Constitution and Bill of Rights are written in? it?s the language that our local, state and federal governments conduct business within the USA? it?s the language that we educate our children in before all other languages? American English.

American English needs to be preserved; however, I welcome the opportunities to learn other languages? at my own discretion, not by force of a minority who believes itself to be ?better? than other minorities within America. 

-reply by OustedNativeFloridian

"Forcing" people to speak English in AmeicaNon-english Speakers In America

Do you also believe that all people living in America should learn to speak Ebonics,Tagalog and Mandarin languages? Why the preference for simply Spanish? Have you traveled to other countries? Did you expect them to speak English for you in every facility or did you learn key phrases to speak to the waiter and cab driver?  Most Americans do when traveling abroad. If you moved to Portugal, would you expect them to speak English to you all day? Interesting . . .Because that would be highly egocentric.

Also, note the propensity of most immigrants to learn the language the country has used for years. My neighbors all speak English with a beautiful accent from their native countries: Sweden, South African and Portrgal.  All are proud of their previous heritage, but chose to come to America and agreed to speak English in order to secure a well-paying job.

-reply by don't drink the cool aid

Although I agree that a person should learn the language before moving to a country, I have become aware that it isn't that simple. Many people in foreign countries cannot access the internet or other valuable resources that can help them learn the language. They can't access tutors because they don't have the money to. The lack of money sends them to the United States to get a better life.Now imagine you're in their shoes. You can't afford to live or send your kids to school. Someone offers to take you to a better country to make you a citizen in the next few months. You don't know the language but you decide to agree. After all, you can barely live with what you make in your current residence.Once you get there, you find you can't communicate with people, and it frustrates you. You want a job but can't get one that pays bills under 60 hours a week without knowing English. You have to work to death to live in a slum, but at least you have a home and some food, unlike in your native country. You want to learn English but are afraid you don't have the money for services to learn, you don't have the time because of work and your kids, and you may even be ashamed because you are barely literate in your language. Maybe if you find a family to help, you can help them get to these ELL services? With the support they may be able to convince others to learn. Then they can learn together. In other words, you can make a difference and help people, but remember to first find a family that wants the help. You can't change some that is afraid to change.

well, i came into the country the same way not knowing a lick of english, i learned the language in a year (i was 12), and i do understand that its hard for people to learn english blah blah and it is a free country, so you are allowed to do as you pleasei do think you went a little far with not allowing them to come into the country, we need them for the economy to flow, but besides the pointi think in SCHOOL, children should be forced to learn the language, you can know both ok thats fine, but you must demostrate efford to learn english, if you want free education/want to continue with schoolthats in my opinion, i do not think its fair, for those who go through the trouble if trying to fit in the country

Here's my view:I feel bad for people who are unable to speak English because it is extremely hard for them to get much of anything done. With that said, I think people who live in the US should at least try to learn the language. Legal immigrants in this country who want to live in this country are forced to take a residency test which needs them to know fluent English. So, the people who you have come in contact with are more than likely not legal immigrants.

English is either very easy or very hard to learn. It all depends on the person who're trying to learn it. I think for people living in America it is rather important that they learn the language for their survival. If the Americans went to, say France, and forced the people there to learn English, that would be nasty, because they don't really have a reason to do so. French is enough for their survival there. But in a foreign land it is important to learn the language the foreigners speak! So I feel English should be learned by all people visiting the US/UK and even if they're not planning to settle there it would be better to know the language before bumping into trouble!

In my country, there is an influx of foreigners coming into the working force. In almost every industry, we will get to see plentiful of them. Without a doubt, in some industry, we need them. However in service line like your retailing, we have seen foreigners who cant speak even simple english manning the counter. While many of us can speak in the foreign language like Mandarin, there are also many other who can't. At such, shopping become an unpleasant experience. I will suggest, likewise, a basic test to gauge the language skill of the person before allowing them to come in and work.

the fact that you actually believe that you are so special for being born in america says enough, you need to get out of your little bubble and realize that there is so much more than your language and your culture. step off you high horse and learn that you have been helped more than once, so dont you think you should extend some help to those who arent as fortunate as you. and if you think Spanish isnt "educational" enough, you are sadly mistaking, Spanish is a rich and beautiful language, so please, be respectful of those who speak it, even if it is the only language they speak.