xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Non-english Speakers In America

So its okay to go to someone elses land and take it over, but it is not okay for someone else to come to your land and take it over? Its all the same man, there is no difference. Itll probably happen, because the government needs all the immigrants, and they need to be able to pay them low wages, while [its mostly white] the white people or 'american citizen white people' do practically nothing in their big comfy chairs, and get paid big bucks. So itll probably be taken over, atleast the language in the lower part of america, because the government needs them all, and they will do anything to keep them. You are trying to fight something, thats just going to happen anyway, sure its annoying...but hey history repeats, and karma strikes back with a vengence.

Edited by JasperIk (see edit history)

At brainless: whoa! Your first line made me laugh at loud, but at the same time: gosh...that is so sad! O_O Those guys obviously didn't pay much attention in history class. Btw, over here in Europe it's common knowledge that some Americans (some..not all :D ) think that the USA actually is the whole world. They're so narrow-minded, they have no clue about what is going on elsewhere on the planet and if they do, their opinion is 'whatever is best for America is best for everyone else'. There are Americans who think that Europe is a country! I assume those are some kind of hillbillies, I hope people who had actual education don't think that way.Anyway, I agree with the topic started, it can be annoying yes. However...I think you should consider yourself lucky. Over here we have to learn English, but German and French aswell! To enter uni we should pass all those language classes first. The majority of our university study books are in English, some of our courses' lectures are given in English and then even the test is written in English, just because we have some international students among us O_O When we know only our mother tongue, Dutch, we won't get very far unfortunately. (Unless we choose to study on a below-uni level =/)iVTEC, for a second I thought you were talking about aliens xD Spanish speakers come to the USA often for economical reasons, they just want work/a not so corrupt society. They are not a bunch of retards, they know exactly what a phone is :D I doubt they will teach Americans a better way to live like the way you mean it. They love tv, internet and mobile phones as much as we do! The people you're talking about are not Mexicans but probably Kalahari bushmen hehehe xDI feel very sorry for the native Americans btw, indeed in the first place they were forced to learn English, their whole culture was taken away from them by the English and Spanish invaders. Lots of them, children, nowadays find it very hard to keep up with their native language and all of their old traditions, and there are so very few members of their tribes left, and that's so sad imo. I think it would be good for all of us to learn more than one, our native, language. Spanish speakers should learn English, but I also think it doesn't hurt for Americans to have a few years of education in Spanish :D Actually I'm happy that I know a few languages, besides Dutch alone. It helps me to conversate with my Japanese penpals in English for example and I notice Germans are very happy if I talk to them in their mother tongue when I'm visiting beautiful cities in parts of Germany where not everyone is that fluent in English :D

So that's everyone in America, that didn't move there directly from England then? that's not meant to be taken too seriously though, it's just a few things that annoy me for a start it's Football.. not Soccer, and why must you pronounce leisure so badly? and what the hell is an elevator?Anyway as you may have guessed I'm not from America, so I really don't have a full understanding of just how bad it is there, I know that here there are a few that don't speak English, which I can understand I mean if they've just moved here then that's understandable. It's when they refuse to learn the local language that's just annoying, I also know that certain people don't like it when people speak foreign (to the lone person, not the people talking) near them, however I don't really understand that, I genuinely don't care what language people speak near me, hell they could make one up and it wouldn't bother me. But I can understand how it can be a slightly worrying for people and I can understand why people not speaking the local language bothers people.P.S. every one should perform some form of salute or something to Brainless, for the shear genius he displayed in that post.

Edited by dontmaimyourself (see edit history)

When my mom first came to America, she didn't know how to speak English. That was about 15+ years ago though. She told me when she got a job somewhere in downtown, where you cut fancy fruits and make sandwiches, she didn't know what the names of fruits were. So my mom took her clueless self to the supermarket and started copying names of fruits on paper and memorizing them. I cracked up when she first told me this but I thought that was pretty smart, haha.

It's hard for people who just come to America who don't know English but they came so their children can live a good life here and have a good fortune. So their children don't have to live what they been through their past years. I don't know how to put it but I think it's hard for the people who've come to America but doesn't know english... so give them a break. It's not like they're not going to know english forever...

It's not like they're not going to know english forever...

like i said, there are those who refuse to let their kids or themselves learn english.. that is what ticks me off the most...

an addition to the above vent

Not to long ago, america voted as a whole what language to make the main language for america, and it was made english, so that is another reason why people moving into america that do not speak english should be forced to learn english and use it as their main language out in public... and the fact that english is the most spoken language all over the world now, and this is because of the WWW (world wide web), and Hollywood movies gotta love what we learn about the engish language in english class.
Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

I disagree with the whole rant.

People try to learn English. But most of them were hearing a different language when they were born. When their mom was pregnant, maybe the dad would speak to them in spanish. That's the language it'd be easier to speak for them.

Do you know how hard it is for most people to learn a second language?

of cource i know how hard it is for people to learn a second language, i have to do two years of it in Highschool.... like i said earlyer the parents, and the child refused to even try to learn english... and thats what pisses me off the most. because they are in america, speaking nothing but their home language, and not even trying to learn english, and if they did try, obviously not hard enough because there are i am sure millions of other spanish speakers out there that learned english, and it might be hard but they should still be forced to learn int before coming to america.

The problem is they are not coming to assimulate they are coming to earn money and send it home. We have allowed people who thought they were being nice to be in control and now we have a mess. We should not have voting ballots, street signs, shop signs or advertising in multiple languanges. When we do that, we are telling people it is okay to not learn our language. It is okay to not adopt our culture. It is okay to take our help and give nothing back in return.I could go on and on and on. Language is just one aspect of the whole problem.

My mom is *Legal* Immigrant. She speaks spanish only. I speak very well english and spanish. :D I guess being bilingual is usefull. :D My dad speaks spanish also aswell.And yes, i never spoke english until i got to school and learned.

Edited by Danny (see edit history)

well the my not want to learn english cus it is one of the hardest languages to learn im learning italian now and it is hard but i still think the sould atlest be able to carey on a convosation with ease if the want to take classes in school or atlest start learing in school

And my dad tried to learn english and knows a bit. My mom knows very little but she din't really take classes, my dad took few classes at my highschool. But due to work, it wasn't much possible.

Take a hint from the country I live in where we have two Official Languages. English and French. Maybe you we have English ( well, a version of it) and Espanol?

lol, your country is its own little world jlhaslip :)hmm i dont know if making america a two language country would be all that great, because people would still be forced to learn spanish in high school, and it would give a better reason for people who dont speak english not to learn english...

Techniqually the U.S. does not have an official language due to the huge melting pot we have. English is the Dominate but it's not the Official. Well of course I wouldn't be worried about what language you will take I be more worried about what contury you will be working in since all these big companies are moving their factories to other countires for cheap labor. Although I disagree with the school systems forcing students to take a language like labus mention. Although i wouldn't mind learning a second language or 2. You all have to remember (going to get the backlash for this) America was open season til the passport came into play. Although we can blame our past for how our future was shaped. Put like this trying dealing with it the best possible way and when you become a government official then you can start making the changes. Although I think Bush has literally screwed everyone over I just feel sorry for the next person to become president. Of course I even feel more sorrier for the future and whatever it maybe.

from what my grandme told me, a few years back english was voted the offical language ofamerica, and this was by the people. but oh well >_< maybe ill research that and post it here (if i ever do it)yes it is verry wrong they force you to learn a foreign language.yeah, bush has screwed up big time and the next person has allot of fixing to do in order to get the US back in shape...