xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Non-english Speakers In America

yeah, well, I know how you feel... I hate it when people are in AMERICA but don't speak ENGLISH! And it's even more frustrating when they don't even make an effort to learn... talk about annoying. And it doesn?t help that our country?s English program is totally messed up ? 75% of the kids in my English class can?t read out loud ? and that?s counting the one whose family is rooted in America for generations. But, like you said, what really annoys me is that once they?re here immigrants don?t even bother to learn the language. They?re isolating themselves from our culture and being unwilling to assimilate? which really, you have to do if you?re moving to a new country. Just apathy, total apathy?

I agree with the rant. I see so many people who don't speak english.If you move here from another country to make a better life for yourself. Common sense would be to learn the language. You can't expect to live in the U.S. here and speak yoru native tongue your whole life. right by where i live we just had some russians move down the street. Guess what! they don't speak any english at all. I gove it up to them, they are trying. but soem people i have encountered don't speak english and seem to me like they aren't even gonna try. It makes me wonder how these people got a job with thier language barrier, what was thier competition for that job. a guy shooting heroin during his interview. I saw a piece on the mind of mancia about this.Another thing about this that really bothers me is the fact that some people actaully wanted to rewrite the national anthem. what is thier problem. G.W. the one good thing he did, and did right away was shoot this proposition down.

im glad im not the only person to agree with this, even if there are allot of people who posted here who disagree withit, i think that there are more who agree with it.thanks for all your input, its been awsome reading all of your resposes to it.. its kinda made me hmm how to put it... happier that im not the only one who hates these type of things in this world :)

I have a pretty big problem as well and I agree with you. I wouldn't go into a country that wasn't a primarily English speaking country unless I knew the primary language. Now big ups to those who face the challenge of going to America and not being able to speak our language, because thats a hurdle I dare not try making, but it gives us English speaking individuals a major inconvenience. It's not our priority to learn different languages if we are in our own country, it should be the priority of those who enter our soil. Unfortunately, people seem to be differing, not only the foreigners, but now some Americans as well. It's one thing I don't understand, but over time, our country will be so diverse that it will be necessary for Americans to be fluent in most likely several languages.In the meantime I won't be learning Spanish or French, but in the future, with my career set to be an educator in the schools, I may have to do some learning. If I have non english speaking students in my class, how am I to communicate with them...hell, they won't be learning our language, so looks like I will have to take the burden...sucks don't it?...

In the meantime I won't be learning Spanish or French, but in the future, with my career set to be an educator in the schools, I may have to do some learning. If I have non english speaking students in my class, how am I to communicate with them...hell, they won't be learning our language, so looks like I will have to take the burden...sucks don't it?...

in my school, they have special classes for the people who actually opt to try t olearn english, and it is called ELL (English Language Learners) and they take all special classes in which they have translators in the class that help them.. and they learn english.
but then there are the ones who think they can handle a normal class, and just go in speaking nothing but a foreign language, and that is when they are prety much screwed.

my math teacher last year, had a student no english... just failed the kid, never paid attention etc.. the kid complained to the spanish speaking counselor, and the counselor said tough ___________

I agree with you. We are made to make every effort possible to speak a language that we shouldnt have to. We have to learn how to speak it, live it, and eventually act it in order to understand the now growing population of non english speaking americans ( or immigrants) Do you honestly think that if I go to Mexico and try to order something in a restaurant using the english language, that they will try to comprehend what Im trying to say or even continue taking my order? No. I experience this very thing everytime I go to McDonalds. Im the wrong person because I cant speak spanish. Well, heres a news flash for all.....I dont speak spanish and I probably never will. If I move to Portugal, I should learn to speak Portugese. If you move to America, you should learn how to speak english.

I agree with you. We are made to make every effort possible to speak a language that we shouldnt have to. We have to learn how to speak it, live it, and eventually act it in order to understand the now growing population of non english speaking americans ( or immigrants) Do you honestly think that if I go to Mexico and try to order something in a restaurant using the english language, that they will try to comprehend what Im trying to say or even continue taking my order? No. I experience this very thing everytime I go to McDonalds. Im the wrong person because I cant speak spanish. Well, heres a news flash for all.....I dont speak spanish and I probably never will. If I move to Portugal, I should learn to speak Portugese. If you move to America, you should learn how to speak english.

i agree totally :) although, if you were to go to mexico and tried to order somthing, it is very possible the person you are tlaking to will know english. because it depends on where you go, whether its a touristy town or not.. if it a touristy town, then they will more than likely know enligh because they need to make money some how huh?

USofNA

Non-english Speakers In America

I like find people using USofNA instead of USA.

America is the Continent on the whole , including North America, Central America, the Caribbeab, and South America.

However Canadians and Mexicans may have a deal with this subject.

-reply by Mario Rabey

Some one like you need to reborn. English is not my first language and took me as long as I lived here to learn it. Why would you not want to learn another language even if you don't have to use it. You are the self-centered person ever. I don't want to know a person like you. You are not only self-centered bicth, you are also a hatter, and stupid. Grow up! life is too short. Don't concertrate to the things only important to you. Be loving and don't be a hatter.That is my advice for you.

-reply by Queen

Can you spellNon-english Speakers In America

Obviously people who can't speak English well are annoying, but those that post about it and can't spell are even more annoying

-reply by can't speak english two

What a bunch of c***Non-english Speakers In America

Yes, I am sure that everyone who feels like coming to the U.S. Is going to have the luxury of devoting years and years to perfecting a language that they have no chance to practice in their home country BEFORE setting foot in the place where it is actually used. 

This is why the rest of the world hates Americans - we act like we own the world, and like by setting foot on this soil one relinquishes the right to reciprocation in attempts to communicate. (I'll bet that half of the "English speakers" ranting on this board don't even know what that means!) But then if we travel or live abroad, we will curse those who can't understand our English.

Did you know that Japanese people can't get into college without passing an English test equivalent to the reading section of the SAT in difficulty? Did you know that all Japanese high school graduates have studied English for 6 years minimum? Taking the classes isn't enough, though - mastery determines their chances to succeed, even in their OWN COUNTRY! This is not unique to Japan; it's how the rest of the world works. Americans need to stop being so godd*** selfish and learn to give a little.

-reply by Shannon

in first place, I belive you shouldn't say america, as a country, because is not!, south american people  live in america too. Now if I want to work in mcdonalds I need a degree on english language... Haha I think usa is a country based on inmigrants, and it's annoying to read that  they don't respect the people that doesn't speak your language, you may not know that if a foreigner wants to study in usa needs to take a very difficult test, called TOEFL. And for example in chile, kids from 5 years old have mandatory classes of english , and you say that native language has to be used!. So, I don't understand, if we are in a globalized world is wierd to listen this kind of commentaries, I know that I don't speak english very well, I try but it's difficult, I've never been in an english speaking country, but I have to learn it because... Honestly I don't know why!, maybe to be working in a mcdonalds and not to get in trouble because a native north american doesn't understand me! whatever!, I think that at least everyone on this page see foreign people as illegal inmigrants and workers, and that is soo screwed up, we need to have an open mind and accept that we should now more than a language not close your options, and say that if you are in your country the foreign people should be obligated to learn your language, and if you want to travel, or make bussines with pleople from other countries they have to learn your language?, it's a very difficult topic to have an opinion, but I think is not valid to say that all the non-english speakers should learn because you get annoyed.

-reply by jamesds

in the first place, I belive you shouldn't say america, as a country, because is not!, south american people  live in america too. Now if I want to work in mcdonalds I need a degree on english language... Haha I think usa is a country based on inmigrants, and it's annoying to read that  they don't respect the people that doesn't speak your language, you may not know that if a foreigner wants to study in usa needs to take a very difficult test, called TOEFL. And for example in chile, kids from 5 years old have mandatory classes of english , and you say that native language has to be used!. So, I don't understand, if we are in a globalized world is wierd to listen this kind of commentaries, I know that I don't speak english very well, I try but it's difficult, I've never been in an english speaking country, but I have to learn it because... Honestly I don't know why!, maybe to be working in a mcdonalds and not to get in trouble because a native north american doesn't understand me! whatever!, I think that at least everyone on this page see foreign people as illegal inmigrants and workers, and that is soo screwed up, we need to have an open mind and accept that we should now more than a language not close your options, and say that if you are in your country the foreign people should be obligated to learn your language, and if you want to travel, or make bussines with pleople from other countries they have to learn your language?, it's a very difficult topic to have an opinion, but I think is not valid to say that all the non-english speakers should learn because you get annoyed.-reply by jamesds

IDK what country you guys are from but I've lived in Miami of all places and not knowing spanish wasn't a big inconvenience at all. So what if you have to study 2 or 3 years of spanish? Most schools have some form of P.E. As required curriculum as well, some require art or music etc. The point is learning spanish is required more to round out your education than to accomodate foreigners anyways. Anyways I believe it is very important for someone coming into the country to learn english, otherwise they'll have a rough time but if they choose not to that is their choice. We live in a free country not one that forces other peoples hands because they cause you a minor inconvenience. This is the land of opportunity and we're making a great contribution to the world when we let citizens of other countries in on this opportunity. It's not like just anyone can immigrate here after all, it is a difficult process.

-reply by Chris

ignoranceNon-english Speakers In America

This page is a rather shameful display of the ignorance of the average citizen of the United States. The first issue I have is this assumption that there is an official language in this country. English is the most commonly used language because the majority of early colonists were English and all subsequent non-English colonists had to learn to integrate into the society. My second issue is the attitude of the government forcing Spanish upon students to accommodate foreigners. There are two problems with said assumption; the first being that not all immigrants are of Hispanic heritage and the second being that learning a language is and chance to learn and better oneself regardless of whether or not one uses those skills to communicate with a fast-food restaurant employee. My final gripe is the sense of entitlement and hypocrisy emanating from the earlier posts in this thread. To believe that immigrants should be forced to learn a language is just plain wrong. Especially when immigrants have to pass a test for citizenship that the average U.S. Citizen would fail miserably.

Now I fully recognize your right to express your ideas as you see fit considering that you are guaranteed free speech under the Bill of Rights, but fully expect to be verbally and literally outmanoeuvered until you clear up your ignorance.

-reply by matts