xisto Community
MacFly

What Operating System Is The Best Games Base ? A little Quizzy...

What Operating System Is The Best Games Base ?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Windows XP, of course is the best. it's an improvement to all other previous versions of windows, so why shouldn't it be. Windows Vista sucks by the way...Installed ultimate and it didn't support most of the games supported on windows XP platform.

Edited by polter (see edit history)

As sad as I am to say it, Windows XP is probably the best gaming platform. I run linux exclusively, and it's difficult getting a lot of games running properly, since they're all designed for windows. If (when) linux has a larger share of the market, it'll be just as good (way better, actually), since games will be designed for linux machines as well.

...but guys...aren't we ignoring WINE?

Sorry to say, but WINE doesn't get the job done when it comes to trying to compare it with Windows XP. One of the most annoying things about it for me is that it only works for games it's been built to work for. For example, if I rack out a game or a tech demo and try to run it with WINE, I might want to think again, because it wont do squat. Tried it several times and I've just given up on trying to make games on and for Linux (without completely replacing all the programs I've bought and am used to). Also, the support for my favorite games on WINE is rather rickety, with BF2 not working completely. However, once you add Cedega into the equation, Linux then becomes a much more formidable gaming system. However, it's not free :P .

Windows server 2003 is the best os for gaming because its better than xp and 2000 and more stable

If you run a good enough machine, games shouldn't crash anyways. That goes for Windows 2000 and all the other OS's people have been recommending. These days, you'll probably have a much harder time trying to find drivers for those OS's also. Edited by dre (see edit history)

Well we all remember that Mac operating system was just Linux games where non-existent and slowly game producers are designing cross platform games. Although linux is a different story in the sense that the programming is a bit more complex in the sense that the designers would have to create a program inside the program in order for it to run, I think. Like dre said its all about the drivers and until someone designs a flavor of linux for gaming you won't see much support for it. As compared to the Windows operating systems on this topic its XP hands down just because every designer has been building around that operating system in terms of graphic support, sound support, and some other stuff.

Honestly I would say that Vista would be the best operating system for running games, were it not for the fact that it has flaws.The first is that it is still too new. Because of this fact alone it is still full of bugs and issues that are still needing to be resolved. Over time, Microsoft should be able to fix some, if not most of the bugs. Until then, however, it will be XP that is top.The reason Vista would be the better choice were it not for all the bugs are because of how smoothly it runs, along with all of the protection on it file wise. Although some people hate how it requests permission for every file you want to edit(A lot don't know that you can actually disable that protection), I find it to be a great feature. It helps keep people from being able to hack you through games. For example, on some games you can easily implement virii into the maps that are automatically downloaded and ran. Vista would keep that from being able to happen(Unless, of course, you were running the program in Administrator mode).The other great thing about Vista is that you can take things like external hdd's or memory sticks and take some of that space to become like RAM. I have not really messed with that feature yet, so I don't know a lot about it, because I'm already fine ram-wise. It could help those who have a small amount of ram, however.Overall I'd still have to vote Vista as best for gaming, although it does have it's downsides. The positives more than take up for negatives.

I would have to go with XP as well. It doesn't need alot of resources(256megs) to run, alot of drivers are for it, and there are many great games that run only on XP. When games don't require modification to run on Linux, then Linux shall outperform them all. Linux is a much more complex OS but there are so many different versions for it, hackers don't bother writing viruses for it. If XP didn't have such a huge virus target due to so many users, it would be a great OS but Linux once again doesn't get viruses.

-reply by Justin

I would say windows XP, there is virtually nothing incompatible with windows XP, whereas many things dont work with 2000 or are not officially compatible with NT (even though XP is built around it)Although most things are now made for vista, it uses a lot of resources, I have 4GB of RAM in my desktop, but it also makes apps less stable, and lots slower.Although vita does have the advantage that it can run directX 10, something that XP cannot do.If you look at game system spec, youll often find that it recomends 512MB more RAM for vista, because its so resource hungry...Of course there are some games which will work with linux, and most linux distros dont use much memory atall, but unfortunately there are so many different distros, that it isnt possible for the game companies to make games universally compatible with linux.

Well on my other computer which I use for only gaming that has Windows XP Gaming Edition basically a Big tweaked version of Windows XP but runs a lot faster and better graphics a bit like Windows XP Performance Edition.