xisto Community
Panzer

Gaming Computer Will This Do?

Ive nearly got enoughmoney to buy myself a computer, its going to be used for gaming and web design stuff. Will these specs do, yes/no/ what would you change?Also please dont go say 500gb harddrive, watercooling, dual 2gb rams etc...Dual 2.6GHz Processor768mb RAM80Gb HarddriveA decent graphics card (havent looked into)(hopefully) inbuilt 56k modem.CD RW, DVD Reader.Can i egt away with 512ram??

Well personally id go with these tell me if its in your budget3G - 3.2G CPU (INTEL)120GB+ HarddriveNo in built modem if your gaming you want BroadbandReally good graphic card 256 - 512 (Splash out for future release of games)Also keep the RAM how you said if not moreHope this helps, It will be a good spec but not too expensiveGood luck bro let me know what you think

I definitely would do atleast 1 gig of ram. Currently i run 1gb and still games push it to like 95 - 100%. I would recommend 2gig to 4 gig.

4gb ram.... Youd need like 2 motherboards to fit them on lol.
Get a better video card and youll run games fine.

3G - 3.2G CPU (INTEL)

You dont think dual processor?

Anyone else got suggestions/comments?

For CPU if your into gaming go with an AMD processor. Its lightning fast for gaming, but Intel is better for design stuff etc. So its basically a tradeoff... whatever your more into.

I noticed that you said you didn't know what video card you were going to choose. I'd highly recommend Nvidia for a gaming video card. They're quite good and powerful.

K, living in New Zealand its alot more annoying, not as much to choose from and stuff. Most RAM and motherboard parts are easily obtained but not pro video cards :)

hmm to be honest that will not game and will not even be tht good of a computer at least in my opinion. Im currently building a computer of my own. I set a 1600 dollar budget not counting shiping and handling and im buying all my self from tigerdirect.com (deffinetly the place to go if your geting alot of stuff and need good prices.) Any way for mine here is what im getingAMD Dual 3.0 processor2 Gig Corsair ram160 gig 7200 RPM HDD19 acer LCD monitor256 ATI (forgot the exact model)Any way ya that will be a sweet gaming rig and will do basically everything. :) it should cost me when all is said and done about 1800 after shipping, perhipals and what not but at least in my opinion thats really not that bad considering all your getting.

if you are building a computer for gaming, i would recommand AMD processor. And like someone said before.. you should get a 256mb+ graphic card for future gaming. For ram, i would recommand more than 1gb because the recommanded requirement for windows VISTA is 1gb of ram and 128mb graphic card. You might want to go far over that requirement if you are planning on using your computer for gaming.And about hdd space, i would recommand at least 120gb because as gaming gets better, more space will be required for games.. Especially when people use next generation DVD for gaming which is 30-50 gb per disk.If you are planning to have a huge monitor like a 20" widescreen monitor, you should consisder a much higher graphic card because the bigger the your monitor is, the more processing your graphic card has to do.Also, try to have a good air circulating system.. .especially when you're planning to put your PC under the desk. You would probably need like air conditioning in the summer.. lol

Dual 2.6GHz Processor768mb RAM
80Gb Harddrive
A decent graphics card (havent looked into)
(hopefully) inbuilt 56k modem.
CD RW, DVD Reader.

It really does depend on budget. Intel has very competitively priced Dual Core CPU's, if you're building a budget box, I believe the Pentium D 805 has some good overclocking potential and is very cheap to boot. For a higher end box you'd want the AMD X2 line of some sort (or AM2 if you want to be really up to date).

As has been said before, you'll need at least 1gb of RAM for optimal performance from your system - I would not recommend any lower for any system being build at this current time, though anything over 2gb will not be all that useful (yet). 768mb is a weird number and limits your options, as you've got a 256mb stick and a 512mb stick; for Dual Channel RAM you'll need two of the same size (and speed).

Hard-drive is small, I agree with DogEater, and have to say value wise (price per gb), the 80gb is the worst value of the lot.

By the looks of it, you're going for a cheaper box, and I would recommend something like the 7600GS for a graphics card on a budget. Actual RAM on the card tends to be less important than the clock speed etc, so don't get sucked in, into thinking bigger is better. Read some reviews and check out the benchmarks before you make a purchase.

DVD-RW drives are hellishly cheap these days. Grab a BenQ (currently have a very good reputation with their burners), and it will be an almost negligble difference to a combo drive.

What you were saying about the fans, it wont be too much of a problem, it gets pretty cold where i live and i have a large window in my bedroom anyway...

The comment about the dual channel ram and needing to be the same size and speed is very important and somthing I forgot to mention so take that into consideration and liek otthers said above me HDD space is a must considering its so cheap and like Half life 2 alone takes up TEN GIGS!! music also finds ways to fill up a HDD very fast