xisto Community
Panzer

Gaming Computer Will This Do?

Okay, I've started building a computer myself, and I didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread when this one was already up. But I'd like to get some suggestions and advice for my plans. I don't exactly bring in that much money, but I plan to at least have it running by the time I graduate. I'm ordering the case and the motherboard tomorrow. Here is what I plan to get:

Aspire Intl X-Plorer caseAsus A8N SLI Deluxe NVIDIA Socket 939 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 64-bit 2.60GHz Processor ( within budget :-\ )
Aspire 550 watt Chameleon PSU (SATA-ready)
BFG GeForce 7900 GTX 512Mb PCIx Graphics Card
4Gb SDRAM (eventually)
300Gb HDD

And DVD drives, floppy, zip, etc...

It'll take a while, but what do you guys think?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
All specs shall be listed under the QUOTE tag

WAIT.Get the premium version of that mobo. With the deluxe your just asking for trouble with that chipset fan. If your spending this much on a computer get a M2 socket instead. There is no more CPU's going to be released for s939 so you cant upgrade it.4GB? 2gb should be enough for now...As for buying components.. save up and when you have enough these components WILL be cheaper... and there will be better out as well.

WAIT.Get the premium version of that mobo. With the deluxe your just asking for trouble with that chipset fan. If your spending this much on a computer get a M2 socket instead. There is no more CPU's going to be released for s939 so you cant upgrade it.

4GB? 2gb should be enough for now...

As for buying components.. save up and when you have enough these components WILL be cheaper... and there will be better out as well.

Thanks much Dregnought. I only plan to put 4gigs eventually. Only 1 to start though. But I'll look into the premium mobo. I didn't realize that socket 939s were going to be discontinued.

Thanks again!

the premium isnt a M2 socket. I dont know which is, but if you REALLY wanted to go s939 then get the premium.

There are certain specifications that I need on the motherboard. Mainly very small things, but nonetheless, I need them. I need at least 2 x16 PCIx slots, 2 USB headers, and 1 IEEE header. And it took me a while to find an M2 mobo to match those specs on TigerDirect.

And with that said, I've found this. The Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition NVIDIA Socket AM2 ATX Motherboard. M2 socket, 2 x16 PCIx, 2 USB headers, 1 IEEE header, and as you said before: no chipset fan.

And along with all that, it also seems to have its own wi-fi wireless g adapter built into it (so no wasting money, time, or space on an external adapter), along with 2 Ethernet ports.

Here's the link: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Edited by jtxdriggers (see edit history)

I'm sure there will be. And with as much time that it takes me to save up the money, I'll probably end up getting a different one. But thanks for all your help!

I think it would be better if you went for a better processor than 4gb of RAM. You will always be able to add more RAM sticks, but if you want a new processor you have to buy it new, and theres no use for the old one. Look around. Dad and i browsed the web around 3 hours a night looking at computers that people and companies were selling. Sometimes the smallest companies provide the best prices. If anyone lives in New Zealand check out http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ its based in Dunedin and very cheap :)

Well if I get an M2 motherboard, I plan to get an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.60GHz Dual Core. Which is really good for AMD.

hmm didnt see the dual core bit on the end. Still you may want a better processor, on another one of my posts people snapped at me saying that i should get a very minimum of 3.0 GHz i guess your dual core should do.Make sure you have fans sorted out, for a big harddrive, lots of RAM and a dual core processor you may need a few, you may even want to try water cooling?

I'll have 4 fans in the case itself + the CPU fan + 2 on the PSU. The case I have also has a fan controller and temp. display (I'll just leave the censor hanging so I can get the full system temp.) so I can turn them up when I need to.And the motherboard has "overclocking capability" (as if there were ever such a thing)

The case temp is not that important.The most important is the CPU temp, because all power of the CPU is converted to heat.Very important these days is the air flow in the case.This can be changed by placing extra Coolers in the front or back of your case.The best is that the heat of the CPU is directly moved to outside and through the PSU.For overclocking (less then 10 or 15 %) you don't need water cooling, only for extreme overclocking.But is your CPU not to expensive for such things ?With extreme overclocking it happens that your CPU is damaged.

I plan to get a $900 cpu. AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 2.80 GHz Dual-Core. (I changed my mind from my earlier posts) My case has a funnel that goes directly above the CPU so the CPU fan will flow the heat directly out of the case. But I don't even have my motherboard or CPU yet, and I have plently of time to work on changes. I don't make money that quickly at all.Will the funnel do? or will I have to take the funnel off and work on the airflow?

Well actually seeing your motherboard is the important thing, take into condsideration the size of the case as well. I took my computer apart and cleaned it all and some of the places were very difficult to get, the case size is fine but ive got so much stuff in there. Also be wary of dust and bits of hair, make sure you have reasonably easy access to getting those cleaned off, the last thing you want is to have your fans jammed in and they get clogged up with dust, they stop working and the CPU explodes...In short, get the motherboard and the case first.