xisto Community
lawmatchmaker

How To Make Your Hard Disk Drive Go Faster Tutorial on how to increase the speed of your hard disk drive

Step by step tutorial

How To Make Your Hard Disk Drive Go Faster

1. How to connect a external hard disk to a PC ?

2. How to use it ?

3. How to disconnect ?

-question by Anita

I didn't think defragging hard drives was that important these days with the high speed hard drives available. However, given the size of these drives, defragging might be a good idea. I suspect however that if you have a large hard drive, (greater than 100gb) that has a lot of data on it, it will take quite a while to defrag. Nonetheless, I might give it a try and see if it speeds things up a bit. Some of my programs are taking a while to load, notably Photoshop.
Floppies are indeed almost extinct, so much so that floppy drives are an optional extra on most new computers. If you must use a floppy disk, make sure it's nothing important as they are very prone to failure. Even if you put something on a brand new floppy as a backup and put it away some place safe in case you need it later, I have many times when the floppy has failed on me. Far better to backup to a CD or for temporary data transfer, use a memory stick of some sort. I don't trust floppy disks as far as I can throw them. Actually, that could be a long way. :P I just don't trust them and no longer use them.

yeah, defragging doesn't make any drastic changes except move your data into closer clusters. If you want a nice speed boost try out a 10,000 rpm gaming raptor. I find my Q6600 and 800 mhz clock 5-5-5-15 ram helps a lot more than a defrag :P

defragmenting the hard disk regularly will definitely increase the access time and the performance of the system. As the hard drives grow larger and the amount of data grows exponentially the time taken to access fragmented data is very much larger than the time taken to access a defragmented (single fragment) file. Since the hard drive doesn't need to look our for fragments it will greatly improve the access time.Using tools like Diskeeper to perform Boottime defragmentation will help boost the bootup time.

I think that the name of the topis is wrong, because by defragmenting the disc, you do not actually make it go faster (it always turns at 5400RPM or 7200RPM or something!). All you do is re-position file clusters on your disc so that windows have easier access to those file and so files are logically easier and faster to reach - that is what fragmentation is all about and it really is a good thing!However, I realized, that doing a full FORMAT of the disc and backuping everything in advance is the best way, because it really cleans all the mess you've managed to produce in the period of your last format...of course you have to put windows back on you machine, but I like to do that, as I am a sort of computer experimenter - means that I cannot stand one installation of OS for as much as 4,5 months :P

Defragmentation of the hard drive is a very important task that you need to do. If you are running windows vista, you can set it to run once a week at night. Otherwise, you can install software that can do that for you. I personally use Executive Software Diskeeper which will deframent your computer when you want, allows you to schedule defrags, and also runs quicker than the built in defragmenter.

The antivirus stuff especially can be key, because it can really slow down your computer. Norton/Symantec programs especially are HORRIBLE at slowing down computers. If you have one installed, sometimes all you have to do is uninstall it to see a rapid speed boost of as much as 5-10 times more. I'd also recommend deleting temporary internet files regularly, or better yet going to tools and setting your options/settings to save the minimal for temporary internet files and history. Those can also slow down browsing speed. You might also want to go to your Add/Remove programs feature in settings and look at how much each program is taking up. Larger ones that you don't use anymore might be good to uninstall as they could free up space on your computer, and if they're set to run automatically, could also decrease the processing load for your computer.

Heh. I hate defrag sometimes. My problem is usually that I can't defrag, because I don't have enough space open on my harddrive to effectively do it, thus, being quite useless. =P

In case of large data volume and big application. It sugested to use multiple HDD with RAID 0 configuration it uses both HDD heads, ( 2X7200=14400 RPM). It will read & write at double speed.-reply by kapil

A better way!How To Make Your Hard Disk Drive Go Faster

I found a very good download. It costs 49.95. But theres a 30 trial version. The name of this program is Disk Configurer. Go to searchsafeguard.Com and search disk configurer. This program allows you to make artificial disk space. 

-reply by Billy

Yeh! Thanks for the tutorial. My hardisk started to begin slowing down. I dont know what the problem is, but I should try these tutorial maybe it can help me alot. Next time please post on how you can add more hardisk. I am really confused about those "Pins", "Primary Master", "Primary Slave" etc etc. Have you tried Tune-Up Utilities? It has auto defrag that really helps your PC.