xisto Community
lawmatchmaker

How To Make Your Hard Disk Drive Go Faster Tutorial on how to increase the speed of your hard disk drive

after installing big games i found that it does help quite alot with stopping lag and increasing hte loading times of the maps and as already posted the same goes for big application installs/uninstalls. if you game a lot and do get lag you should try this as a simple solution. if it doesnt work then its probably due to low RAM but it did increase loading times for me as everything the game needed was in one place :rolleyes:its a good idea but its not the ultimate solution to every problem in my opinion but still worth doing every now and again.

I don?t think ending all your processes is a good idea, especially not disabling your antivirus. There are certain services you shouldn?t end. Another thing I?m skeptical about is the hard drive, most programs run in the RAM not the hard drive, unless you have a whole bunch of virtual memory and use up your entire RAM. And one last thing, you cannot make your Hard Drive go faster, it is a set speed that cannot be changed. Perhaps I am mixing up what you mean, but I am thoroughly confused. As for games running faster, it is quite obvious, less programs taking up RAM means more for your game thus increasing speed.

hmm... might try that one of these days, once i get enough time, that is. my pc at home is getting way too old, the drive is getting too outdated. right now my problem include bad sectors (which i know would be a pain in the neck once it multiplies in the hard drive), viruses and spywares, and of course a limited internet access. (i don't like cafes that much, but i have no choice because of school).tsk. later peeps.

Thanks pal for these tips, they really helped me to boost my hard disk speeds. Now the applications are loading faster. I can clearly see the change in performance. Thanks once again.

Defragmenting never actually speeds up my computer for some reason. It just gives me a sense of tidiness and organized feeling. Maybe it's just a 1 hour movie that shows the process of a defragmentation.... :)'''

I didn't think defragging hard drives was that important these days with the high speed hard drives available. However, given the size of these drives, defragging might be a good idea. I suspect however that if you have a large hard drive, (greater than 100gb) that has a lot of data on it, it will take quite a while to defrag.

However, the bigger the drives seem to get the programs and other files seem to get bigger too, which can make your drive just as fragmented. Computers with bigger drives also GENERALLY have faster processors.

Wtf? Who here didn't know how to defrag their harddrive and needed a tutorial for it?

Defragging doesn't 'make your harddrive go faster' it just rearranges the files physically on the disk so they can be accessed in less time.

This does effectively increase the performance of the drive, but doesn't make the drive spin at a higher RPM or run any faster physically. The only benefit is if your harddrive is really fragmented and the needle has to jump half way across the disk to read a strip of data.

My advice is to make a scheduled task of a disk defrag to start every night at the time you usually go to bed, and just leave your computer on overnight so that you don't waste time watching it defrag during the day.

Or get diskeeper, which is a more effective and user-friendly method of defragging: http://www.condusiv.com/

Defragging a disk is all good but one thing you have to remember that the reason you are doing it is because well, the disk is fragmented. Meaning that one file is all over. Whether or not your driv fragments itself is determined on the partition type you are usng and also on the operatng system. Because unlike windows Partition options a linux parttion will not fragment. The reason they fragment is so that it wll copy/save/write faster. And yes Defragmenting wll speed up your computer but not your hard drive. Your hard drive speed is based on the amount of buffer speed you have and the rate of rpm's.

I know a programm you can buy called tuneup utilities.

Yes I run the tuneup 2007 demo on my computer. It is an excellent free trial... WHY? because it let's you continue to use it past the thirty days! Only catch is you have to wait like 2 mins or so for it to start up, and the demo is no features restricted :)
I find I use it only for defragging the registry. It seems to find a tonne of crap that needs to be deleted and cleaned. Can't say I noticed a difference but it's always nice to know that you're computer is running smoothly and quickly in the background.

I don't think ending all your processes is a good idea, especially not disabling your antivirus. There are certain services you shouldn't end. Another thing I'm skeptical about is the hard drive, most programs run in the RAM not the hard drive, unless you have a whole bunch of virtual memory and use up your entire RAM. And one last thing, you cannot make your Hard Drive go faster, it is a set speed that cannot be changed. Perhaps I am mixing up what you mean, but I am thoroughly confused. As for games running faster, it is quite obvious, less programs taking up RAM means more for your game thus increasing speed.

NO-ONE NEEDS TO END SERVICES OR ANTIVIRUS TO DEFRAG. IT SHOULD NOT BE DONE. TERMINATING PROGRAMS FROM THE TASK MANAGER LIST IS NOT GOOD FOR THE SYSTEM, CAN MAKE IT CRASH, AND MAY WELL RESULT IN EVEN MORE FRAGMENTED FILES.
Dark you are correct, usually files or information that will be modified or repeatedly loaded is stored temporarily in the RAM. But still, the majority of files remain on the hard drive and are accessed if they are read only.
For example take World of Warcraft (a mmorpg game) - It takes up 6.5GB on my hard drive! Now I'm sure that It can't load 6GB into 512MB of ram on my computer! (some of that will be used by itunes or background services as well) It is the one thing on my system that seems to get defragmented often. I'm not sure why but I feel like I attribute this to its frequent updates installing and massive size.

THIS WILL NOT MAKE YOU'RE HARD DRIVE SPIN FASTER! But it will noticably reduce file read/load times. And therefore programs starting up.

Apart from defragmenting, you should also do the following:Run an antivirus software to remove any viruses/adwares and spywares as these only help in slowing down your computer. You should also run Disk CleanUp in order to make sure that your hard disk/partitions are devoid of junks which some softwares leave in there after installations. These junks, mostly found inside the temp folder, with time, tend to start slowing down your PC if not taken care of.

I think it goes for basic overall speed on your computer.Run a defragmentation, Clean up the registry (there's tons of these programs around), Clean your cache, junk files and remove unnecessary programs.Definately works atleast!

Well OK this is quite good thing for everyone to know. However those preparations you mentioned I think that they are not in fact needed. AS if you have over 2 GHz processor power it can handle everything that is defragmentation and all those programs without glithsing however it depends how many utilities you have, and I suggest that you just leave you computer as is when you are defragmenting because otherwise it might stop as data is already passing from RAM (random access memory) to the hard drive and when you try to read something you will interrup this process slow it down and by doing so you will certainyl slow down your computer.And I would like to point once more formatting your hard drive is verry important thing for the healtyh of your computer.