xisto Community
Dagoth Nereviar

I Hate Site Builders. Mainly things like piczo and freewebs.

I hate most site builders aside from Dreamweaver. I use the editor in cPanel for almost everything. It makes me feel better about my webpage - cheesy, I know - and then I directly get a chance to fix a problem if anything comes up. I use notepad for general editing of PHP and HTML because it has the nice "GOTO LINE #" search thing that I especially like.

The main thing about web builders is that they add a lot of unecessary code to the webpage. I am not sure how well dreamweaver handles this, but I think it does it quite well. I remember adding some php to a site my friend designed in dreamweaver and I didn't have to change much to make it clean code.I guess that is what such web site builders are good for. They can give someone a good start at the initial design. But all in all I think all sites should be written (or just edited) via a text editor in the end.

Most of my friends have recently been into that kind of space making, etc. I refuse to go to any site with 'piczo' in it. The fact that it has all these irritating ads that block parts of the pages, or that have spyware in them turns me off. Also, they are quite heavy because people do just stuff their pictures, videos, music all over and I don't want my browser to crash n_n;The points mentioned in most of these posts are true, and I agree. It is stupid when people claim their sites are so good when they've just built it on these kinds of things, but I tend to stray away from those sites becausee.. for the above reasons and they would probably be pretty boring. I also see many cluttered pages on myspace, ones with real tiny text, which are bad for the eyes and whatnot. erm, they should resize their pictures. 8-)The website building option when you choose 'beginner' plan in freewebs is merely just a template. of course they don't look too good. all clones. but hey, whatever floats their boats. at least they don't have all these spyware-infected popups and ads all over.. eh, though I don't know how freewebs is changing with their ad system at the moment..I started my interest in making websites using page builder in geocities. I think that's a pretty good tool for beginners to use because it's better than piczo and geocities only has this light little ad that you can minimize. After that, I got bored of how tacky it always looked, though. So then I learnt coding in html :] Although the space in geocities is so minimal, it doesn't really matter, for they're just beginning. Sometimes people ask me where they go to build a website. I never suggest piczo. I'm not so so good at making websites, but I like to lead people to the right places when they wanna start, whether or not they eventually end up learning coding and moving up, I'm not going to tell them to use a host I refuse to view. :)

I don't hate Site Builders, I even used them about 6 years back. It is possibly a way to get someone who knows nothing about HTLM to build a site, and maybe get them to learn HTML. That is what I did anyway.You are not forced to go to any sites made by the site builders, so I don't understand why you complain that you don't like them, but you visit them anyway. It is quite easy to tell from the URL.One thing to bear in mind is that people who make sites using these tools feel proud of what they have done, just as proud as you when you have hand crafted your site in XHTML, and so they will also think their page is great. Just because you have spent hours learning XHTML, CSS etc doesn't mean you should be critical of those who haven't.

Yeah, it does annoy one, if people get more merit than they deserve. I knew one guy , who used to boast as if he was the best web designer ever, When i visited his site, it was the most crappy site one can find. Built with yahoo geocities page wizards !!!I do not mean anything ill of yahoo geocities ,.. But just the attitude these people develop, after building a basic site with help of page wizards. I think ,,it has something to do with their excitement levels. When i built my first html page, i was on cloud 9. Then i started putting up very basic pages with handmade html ,using notepad. Later on, i developed pages with dreamweaver, which i am using till now. At that stage, i thought page wizards were childs paly. Later on, when i started editing templates to build sites, i thought those hand made html pages i built early , did not make sense. Now, that i am creating custom made sites, templates , are not great ,these days. So, probably, it is just a matter of web designing knowledge involved with the people who perceive it , i suppose !!!!

I used to have piczo.. my site was okay, I didnt have any of those annoying flashing pictures or glitter of whatever, but piczo got on my nerves kinda. and then everything changed and I couldn't understand it anymore, it kept copying freewebs, or myspace, or bebo, and it looked HORRIBLE, all tacky etc. that is the general view, like the toolbar etc. anyway, it was very annoying, so I sort of quit lol

Loads of people i know, who have very little HTML knowledge, use Piczo. And now, anyone with one of these sites, think they have the best websites ever! All it usually is pictures and text randomly thrown on a page, with very-hard-to-navigate links. Freewebs is basically the same. I'm not sure about my space, I think it uses HTML, but I hate myspace websites.Anyways, back on the point, does anyone else know people who use piczo and think they are the best website builders in the world? I tried to teach one how to HTML, got stuck on tags B)

:P I think you are talking about ppl who only know how to use ctrl+c and ctrl+v ...After all ppl should/can not into the nerdier part of things...So i do not think site builder is doing anythng wrong by providing all common ppl tools to make a website..though it is a fact that they suck big time..Still they are popular...
So.there should be a less sucking site builder!
As of now common peopleve no options but love it.. B)

I remembered I made my very first webpage using Freewebs. They had a lovely green layout with a fantasy feel that suited my website well. and I learnt to add pictures and thumbnails, and was incredibly proud of it. Later, however, I tinkered around with the pre-made pages on Front Page and soon realized I could do A LOT more than these site builders offer. Site builders are good for beginners, and you can't blame them for using them since they don't know html. But the most important thing is to learn to improve on the pages instead of being overdependent on site builders.

It's so annoying looking at people's piczo sites an they all think they're really good.My website's better than that, and it's rubbish. And mine took a lot more work.I try to convert people to not using piczo etc. but they're just stubborn.

Site Builders are meant for people who are intrested in website designing but who are not Well versed with the coding tags and syntax. Moreover Site Builders Such as Dreamweaver which macromedia offers is of great User Friendly,I Suggest You to use Dreamweaver and you wont Get Stuck inbetween with tags.

I think there are some thing involved here. First is the fact that people don't want to waste time doing anything and this way they want websites without making the least effort, not getting to know html, not even thinking which colour scheme fits better their sites or trying to make something for easy navigation. They only want to be in the Internet and say "hey, I have a cool website". Which of course isn't cool at all, but they think so.So companies take note of it and offer these awful online editors / profiles / whatever. I think if you really like your project in Internet, no matter what it is, it's worth to learn something and make your own site. Probably it wouldn't be the best the first time, but you'll learn and see how you can drastically improve it in a year time. And that is cooler than having a space following the same pattern as the rest of the crowd.

I do understand , how pathetic a web designer familiar with technologies such as ajax and silverlight, would be , when he hears a high school student claiming to be a web designer.The problem with people starting web designing is, excitement factor i guess. They consider themselves to be competitive web designers, as they know how to put up web pages, which their friends might not. I have seen yahoo page wizards and a couple of other builders.there are a couple of people in my college, who know how to edit templates using some tool like say, dreamweaver. and these guys have turned 'professionals' already. Thank god, their websites reflect their skill levels. they were not good enough to even choose a god enough template !!!!!

Well I can't say I hat them, but your people are right, if you write it with HTML/CSS it is way more original and
without it, you are not even near to being a Web Designer! I'm learning a bit about HTML/CSS myself on the moment and
it's going pretty good. I must admit that for my own real webiste I use a website drap and drop builder.
Web Page Maker V2.5 --------> http://www.webpage-maker.com/
A lot of options and it's basicly the same as HTML/CSS coding, when you look at the HTML file in the end, you will
really recognize some stuff! I deffenitly recommend this Website-builder if you think about making
your own website but don't wanna learn how to write HTML/CSS :P

Greetzz