xisto Community
Dagoth Nereviar

I Hate Site Builders. Mainly things like piczo and freewebs.

I used to use some website builder called BlueVoda(I think). Since then(a couple of years ago), I have learned to code in HTML, PHP and MySQL. I have to admit that PHP is my favourite Server-Side language ever invented. xD

Replying to Dagoth NereviarIn many cases you are correct about Piczo users, but not all Piczo sites are completely void of HTML coding knowledge. I am 16 years old and I have a piczo site. I know for a fact it is not the best, and I don't claim to be a webdesigner or coder of any kind, but I have put alot of effort into learning HTML and have gained alot of insight into tags and javascript elements. The color scheme for my site is easy to decipher text and the navigation is simple. Everything I have I know about HTML was learned through Google and trial and error. I use barely any tools from Piczo and my site is not jusr a random assortment of images and glitter but is a the product of many hard hours of searching on Google and reading up on html coding. It's not great but it is something I am proud of. Most of you here I am assume are adults with your own domains and look down upon those who use free site builders such as Piczo. Now maybe I am wrong and my site is pathetic by your standards, and should that be the case then so be it. However I would at like to at least be told my flaws and what I should improve on so I can continue to learn and improve and better myself in the world of coding. If you give me that at least, I would be very grateful. My site is <a href="http://www.posh24.com/; ZeroBlaze</a>

One of my friends has a Piczo, in his comment box he has loads of random people, obviously no clue what an actuall website is, saying that his website is 'the best ever'.

He's even said to me he is going to buy his own proper domain for his birthday, I wouldn't dare to tell him that making a real website is nothing like a site-builder.

Any web hosting with a site-builder will put me off, almost 100% that you can only use HTML, get about 50MB of space and all you do on it is copy and paste a load of HTML from another website into your website.

Basically its a load of snippets from thousands of websites, thrown together with 1000's of pop-ups and slow-loading adverts from the hosters' (Piczo is a great example of this!).

I don't think he's going to do to well with his website when he realises all he has from a web host is PHPMyAdmin.

In many cases you are correct about Piczo users, but not all Piczo sites are completely void of HTML coding knowledge. I am 16 years old and I have a piczo site. I know for a fact it is not the best, and I don't claim to be a webdesigner or coder of any kind, but I have put alot of effort into learning HTML and have gained alot of insight into tags and javascript elements. The color scheme for my site is easy to decipher text and the navigation is simple. Everything I have I know about HTML was learned through Google and trial and error. I use barely any tools from Piczo and my site is not jusr a random assortment of images and glitter but is a the product of many hard hours of searching on Google and reading up on html coding. It's not great but it is something I am proud of. Most of you here I am assume are adults with your own domains and look down upon those who use free site builders such as Piczo. Now maybe I am wrong and my site is pathetic by your standards, and should that be the case then so be it. However I would at like to at least be told my flaws and what I should improve on so I can continue to learn and improve and better myself in the world of coding. If you give me that at least, I would be very grateful. My site is <a href="http://www.posh24.com/; ZeroBlaze</a>

Fair enough your site is better than most of the Piczo sites, but there's so many advertisments and pop-ups that it ruins the experience of visiting, if you view the HTML of your page the amount of piczo related coding is shocking! I experienced lag while on your page (my computer is old though).

Edited by tracdoor (see edit history)

website builders should strictly be used by people who have 0 html knowledge, have no time to learn and nobody to build their sites for them. Otherwise it is just a burden.Anyway, one does not need a free website builder host in order to have a free website. You can still have a free html website hosted on Xisto and make it look professional.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

I think Piczo and others are fun, they inspire creativity. It doesn't matter what the kids call themselves after they make it, as long as sites like those spark interest and curiosity in personalization. Think about it, from a web-designing point of view it's easy to point the finger at cheerful kids who have just made a piczo site with glitters. But among every 1000 of those kids, is one who does something useful. I made a site with Piczo a year back before I learned how to code, it became HUGE, with a forum and everything. NO CODING AT ALL.Yes that was pretty nubish, but what can you say? If it works it works. Also, using piczo allowed me to explore new areas of coding that if I went straight into html, I might not have thought of. Web designers are the people who run the marathon, people who use piczo are the people who call cabs and ride them. But every once in a while, someone in a cab will look out his window, see the possibilities, and want to become a runner, which makes it all worth it.

It

I Hate Site Builders.

I would happen to disagree.

I think it's a good idea for teenagers to start with those Piczo and Freeweb sites. It's a good start to learning html. Although I agree that it isn't used that much, teenagers learn how to make rollover links, picture effects and much more. In fact allot of these kids end up moving to a hosted server like Godaddy and become extremely good at coding.

I also think that it's a good idea that they take pride in their work. Remember these teens are still growing and giving themselves an identity, and Piczo is a great way for them to express their creativity.

Remember most of these kids are doing this as a hobby, and maybe to make a little money, but they aren't doing this as their professional day job. Piczo and Freewebs are a fantastic start to these future leaders in in technology

So give the poor kids a break.

Thanks

BradleyBradwell

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-reply by Bradley

I have piczo its well good!and I do know people who think there website is like the best but I'm not going to say any names anyways just so you know my site name is http://www.posh24.com/ x-cyar-x-reply by you don't know me???

Replying to Dagoth NereviarYeah, I hate them too. I don't know much HTML, but I'm learning. And I found those annoying specially since they are full of glitches and some don't even support HTML and end up showing nothing! They ****, but they are OK for begginers, if they don't know HTML then at least they can have their own crappy, but they think it rules site.-reply by eeveefan14

I have a freewebs site, and you can set it so you have to enter all your own coding, and you can use html/css on piczo tooYou can also write your own html for myspace.Out of every glittery covered site on piczo or freewebs, there is always a more professional one with html etc.I've been using site builders for about 5 years now, because not everyone has the money to buy their own domains and ftp programs and things like that.I taught myself the html/css aswell so some of us freewebers or piczoers aren't half as bad as you all say we are.

You guys maybe right, but I think they target a different audience of users, not for people who can code like a pro with Dreamwea just somethinver and Fireworks, but just something simple, for people to set up a basic site of their own quickly. Just like the Blogger platform, simple and low functionality yet draws so many bloggers that need just a simple blog.

You guys maybe right, but I think they target a different audience of users, not for people who can code like a pro with Dreamweaver and Fireworks, but just something simple, for people to set up a basic site of their own quickly. Just like the Blogger platform, simple and low functionality yet draws so many bloggers that need just a simple blog.

I started out with Piczo. I was the first person on the entire island to try it, and suddenly everyone had it. I got quite good making them. I focused mainly on designs and graphics, so drag&drop was very easy for me. I also had a lot of pictures of me and my friends. It was kind of fun, but I do not feel very excited about looking at Piczo sites now. When I first started out my page was full of glitter graphics, little blinking animations and things like that. I remember that the most annoying thing was that it was so hard to find a name, and even though you found one and no one else had it: sometimes it just would not get approved. Horrible, I know.

After everyone started with Piczo I tried out Freewebs. I felt so cool! "I can do Freewebs, and that is like a million times harder than Piczo... it looks more professional too." I got very quickly tired of it, so I just quit. I have like 20 different Piczo sites and it is very fun to go back to them and take a look at them. Most of them look horrible.

Piczo has some much ads now! I was shocked when I took a look at it. It is horrible, it was not like that before. But I suppose it is good for beginners. Without Piczo I would never gotten into Photoshop and the web in general. Thank you for that!

I think they're useful to some but I agree that it teaches the person who's making the site absolutely nothing. They're alright if you're making like a quick site to show your family all your pictures or whatever but if you want to make more serious sites, then you definitely want to learn HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, etc. on your own. I'm trying to learn myself because I want to make my sites cleaner and more custom.

When i first began designing websites, like most people just staring out, i knew nothing about HTML. So i used the website builders and, at first, i really like them because i didn't know better. But then i was tired of not being about to modify their templates. So i decided to learn HTML and using ftp to transfer my files. I began using notepad with the little HTML knowledge i had. Then i used Microsoft Front Page, which helped me a lot. But know I'm using Adobe Dreamweaver and Macromedia Flash to design cool animations for my website. Overall, i don't think those website builders or their templates are the best thing to do. I would recommend anyone to learn HTML and use an WYSIWYG program, because you can control the layout and design how you want it to be. Besides, the best website designs weren't done using someone's template or site builder, but getting down and doing some real work.Efrain was here.