xisto Community
rldowling03

Using Mobile Phone As A Modem Does any1 do this? And can you help with my problems

free internet

Using Mobile Phone As A Modem

Hi,

I m from India, I don't know weather your technique can be used here in India, but I m interested to use it. So if possible kindly tell me the procedure for using free internet.

Thanks & regards,

Milind.

-reply by milind.Lg at yahoo.Com

Free internet? really? I think the free internet there is come from mobile provider.

So there is no technich or other to get free internet.

its depend on its provider right?

btw2 i really just know that mobile phone can be locked as a modem.

and in pmy opinion, it can be unlocked by upgrade its firmware right?

I want to use phone as modem for pc, so I can take my laptop anywhere?

Using Mobile Phone As A Modem

Replying to rldowling03

Where do you get use of internet free. I am in Tx.

Are you using it for a modem for your laptop?

Thats what I want to do, so I can use my laptop anywhere...

Thanks

-reply by razebaby

I have used my motorola RAZR V3x as a data modem before, I have only done this once, in a high signal area, as i dont get signal in my house. But the connection was very slow, and EXTREMELY expensive!! (I wont name the provider!) But i think you would be a lot beter using a wireless broadband connection, or just a normal modem if possible!!

My Sony Ericsson W580i has the same ability, but in the USA, phone net is not free. I believe some proxies don't allow cookies at all, so I would recommend finding a different proxy. The reason some sites might not load is because of the carrier. I can't really help, but good luck with your problem.

I use my htc touch as a modem and it has rev. A cdma technology so i get about 70/kbs...i have an unlimited data plan from my provider and the bill is around 3 shells a month, but that is phone, email, internet wherever I have a phone signal on my laptop. I couldn't be happier driving around with connectivity on my laptop.I need it for my job, its a lifesaver. No need to buy an aircard or seperate gps....just plug in my phone.

I think that its a brilliant idea to have modems on handsets but it will great to have it accesible in the rural areas. So the greatest challenge will be to have network acess in the rural areas.

I have a verizon wireless cell phone which allows me to do that, BUT, verizon charges me 1.99$ USD PER MEGABYTE.downloading 1 song would be around 5 MB, which would bring the charge up to around 10$. Ripoff much?Well, then again, verizon did give me the option of buying an unlimited data plan, but who does that? I'm just a high school student.

Edited by Csshih (see edit history)

Mobile internetUsing Mobile Phone As A Modem

Yes it is handy to access the internet anywhere but hell is it expensive, we are so ripped off here in South Africa it just isn't funny. Apple brought out the I phone as an advanced but affordable phone, try buy one here! even with the exchange rate and transport costs we should be paying about are 3000 but we pay more than double that, I had are 110 airtime this morning, went onto the internet using my Motorola as a modem and 20 mins later...WHAM! no more airtime, the networks charge what the hell they like and are typical of fat cat companies whom I detest. 

-Mark

i recently started using my mobile phone as a modem, and i use it only when i'm getting a 3G signal. it's much faster if the signal is 3G... sometimes it can even get 3.5G (HSDPA) signal [although my phone does not report that of course :P i just notice the faster than 3G speed]. if the signal i get is simply GPRS, that's when it slows down, sometimes even slower than a dialup.my network has a fixed rate for a 30-minute period (even if you consume the whole period or not, even if it's crawling in GPRS or somewhat blazing in 3G signal). it's Php10.00/30mins (US$1 is approximately 48 philippine pesos). exceed 30 minutes, and you get charged for another ten pesos. which is why i always set an alarm for every 29 minutes to warn me of my usage, and don't exceed the time allotment and get charged for time i don't use if i exceed. :Pmobile networks in our country are now serving wireless broadband using USB modems with their data-only SIMs (meaning it's dedicated for connecting online only, and can't be used to send SMS or call). as in the case of a mobile phone, it connects online using GPRS or 3G/HSDPA. what i don't like about it though is that you get tied up to them for a year or two, and if you want to discontinue the service before the contract is up, you got to pay an exorbitant disconnection fee.

i recently started using my mobile phone as a modem, and i use it only when i'm getting a 3G signal. it's much faster if the signal is 3G... sometimes it can even get 3.5G (HSDPA) signal [although my phone does not report that of course :P i just notice the faster than 3G speed]. if the signal i get is simply GPRS, that's when it slows down, sometimes even slower than a dialup.
my network has a fixed rate for a 30-minute period (even if you consume the whole period or not, even if it's crawling in GPRS or somewhat blazing in 3G signal). it's Php10.00/30mins (US$1 is approximately 48 philippine pesos). exceed 30 minutes, and you get charged for another ten pesos. which is why i always set an alarm for every 29 minutes to warn me of my usage, and don't exceed the time allotment and get charged for time i don't use if i exceed. :P

mobile networks in our country are now serving wireless broadband using USB modems with their data-only SIMs (meaning it's dedicated for connecting online only, and can't be used to send SMS or call). as in the case of a mobile phone, it connects online using GPRS or 3G/HSDPA. what i don't like about it though is that you get tied up to them for a year or two, and if you want to discontinue the service before the contract is up, you got to pay an exorbitant disconnection fee.

Yeah, Virgin and Vodafone offe those those things but Virgin is far by the cheapest available (5GB for $40AU)... The modem isn't so great though...

mobile phone as a modemUsing Mobile Phone As A Modem

hi ,, I have just been using my Telstra phone (Australian)with a Thai chip in Thailand as a modem,, It works great and fast ,, and you can still use the phone at the same time for calls ,, Pity we are being ruled by Telstra here and not allowed a sensible price for internet,, In Thailand it cost $8 for 100 hours unlimited download,, Telstra would charge about $400 at least

-reply by hayden

internet connectUsing Mobile Phone As A Modem

hellow I have a nokia mobile 7210.And a airtel conection sim who has activated internet I just want to connect the internet on my computer ..Howz its possible? 

-reply by prakash singh