xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tyssen

Trapped In *BLEEP*! [tis] (www.trappedinshit.com) *new!* Is this for real?

I'm finding the posts on here a bit odd. People are complaining that such a word being in the name of a section in the forums is misleading. Cause, you cant use it in the forums. Tell me something, did the old name of it stop people from using such a word? So, why should it matter now? I find it funny on how NOW it's when people are trying to prevent such a thing, rather than BEFORE. If you people really care, then the next time you see someone's post with a *bleeped* word, tell that person to refrain from cursing again. Using bad words is like death, it's bound to happen, no matter what!

I think the fact it can't be seen in the forums is quite ok, sure we know what is implied by the *bleep*, but at least younger members don't actually see the offending word. There is no need to tell people to refrain from swearing because the forum does it for us. Having one of these words, that anywhere else in the forum is censored, as a forum title seems inconsistent and hypocritical. Having the censorship in place suggests a certain standard of language is expected here. I think a title like that is below the expected standard.

It has been mentioned that this is some type of marketing ploy. If this is so, why was the same test not undertaken at the Xisto forums? Surely a wider audience would give a better indication of the success or failure of such a marketing exercise? I suggest the reason for this is because those forums have an expected level of language, like I thought there was here.

Yes, these are Opaque's forums and he can do what ever he wishes. But it should be remembered that he has said many times that he is trying to create a forum community. Is this in the best interests of that community? Perhaps he can enlighten us as to how it will benefit the community?

Even a five year old can determine what word was *bleeped*, by the study of the sentence the word is used in. Words themselves, are not insulting, but rather how they can be used. The word we're discussing, in general, is just body waste. Not until you direct such a word at someone, or group of people, does it become insulting. That's why it's *bleeped*, just in case it would be directed to someone. If i were to call someone a booger, they might get insulted. Cause, they're thinking about the common definition for it, rather than the one i'm refering to: 4.b. a person, a fellow. I'm sure many people can relate to their lives as being trapped in body waste. See? Nothing bad when you get right down to the definition.

Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

In my strong-headed opinion, using such a title under such a domain is certainly not a good idea, much less listing it as a Xisto forum. I only just noticed it (from within the topic The So Called "vent"...), and think it does little other than degrade the forum as a whole. I'm quite surprised in this new direction, to be honest. It's not something I would have expected from an established web hosting community that is run from a web hosting company... but there you go.

Notice from mayank:
Merged into this already going topic

Can you explain why the expletive in question is even a bad word to begin with? Is there a reason for it to be offensive to anyone? Would 'poop' be better? Aren't they the same thing? Hmm...

Can you explain why the expletive in question is even a bad word to begin with? Is there a reason for it to be offensive to anyone? Would 'poop' be better? Aren't they the same thing?
Hmm...

It's a bad word becuase it is considered offensive by the vast majority. And whilst it can be used as another for faeces, I dont think trappedinpoop is much better. That just sounds disgusting.

Even a five year old can determine what word was *bleeped*, by the study of the sentence the word is used in. Words themselves, are not insulting, but rather how they can be used. The word we're discussing, in general, is just body waste. Not until you direct such a word at someone, or group of people, does it become insulting. That's why it's *bleeped*, just in case it would be directed to someone. If i were to call someone a booger, they might get insulted. Cause, they're thinking about the common definition for it, rather than the one i'm refering to: 4.b. a person, a fellow. I'm sure many people can relate to their lives as being trapped in body waste. See? Nothing bad when you get right down to the definition.

the f word is vulgar, regardless of context. And no, I don't see my life as trapped in my own faeces. I suggest that those who do, consult a doctor or shrink as soon as possible. :angry:

the f word is vulgar, regardless of context. And no, I don't see my life as trapped in my own faeces. I suggest that those who do, consult a doctor or shrink as soon as possible. :angry:

The f-word just means sexual intercourse. [sarcasm]Omg, i learned that in school![/sarcasm]

You think SM? I don't agree with this forum name. You have just lowered both your reputation, and your standards, and I can say that it is very unprofessional. If you want us to keep the forum rules, then don't break them guys. C'mon. Family friendly. Remeber? I think we have gotten some good input AGAINST this forum. If you think about it, why even have rules? Are you willing to risk your reputation for a forum with profanity in it? That is the question to be asking here.

On the forums I own, we use a score system called "Respect Points" to show how respected people are. The scale goes from minus 65535 to 65535, and starts at zero. If I had used that name for my own forums, I'd probably end up with minus 10000 respect - in fact, I'd even willingly take my own respect away! It is just so improffesional, and doesn't live up to standards at all!!!

Give it time, this'll all go away. Funny on how someone starts to hate on another just cause something they've done affects the other in such an insignificant way. Lighten up people! There are far more worse (significant) things to be worried about! Take action where it'll actually save a life or something!

I think truefusion is being ignorant here, sorry to say. While as I agree that this discussion has no real signifigance to real life, I worry about the younger people who look at this site, and also, how improffessional it makes us seem.I actually thought, when I saw these forums for the first time and noticed that category, that this was not the Xisto forums. But I checked the layout and the website URL, and I was here. And I was shocked to believe that such a professional site would do something so - (for lack of a better word) - so childish!

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

As ignorant as i may be, i feel that if you're gonna try and stop something, stop it at the root of the problem. Not try to stop just the leaf that grows from it. If you really care about "the children", then dont let them go to school, where they will learn every single bad word known to man. Or should i be saying more like, dont release them to society? If one word troubles you so much, why not the other words? Is it cause it hasnt been used around you in a way that it affects you? Am i right to say, stop caring about yourselves? Am i wrong to say, that one thing shouldnt bother you if there are many more things to be at worry about? More important, significant things?

As ignorant as i may be, i feel that if you're gonna try and stop something, stop it at the root of the problem. Not try to stop just the leaf that grows from it. If you really care about "the children", then dont let them go to school, where they will learn every single bad word known to man. Or should i be saying more like, dont release them to society? If one word troubles you so much, why not the other words? Is it cause it hasnt been used around you in a way that it affects you? Am i right to say, stop caring about yourselves? Am i wrong to say, that one thing shouldnt bother you if there are many more things to be at worry about? More important, significant things?

Your argument doesn't stand up, because yes, there may be more important issues, but that doesn't mean the little ones dont matter. There are terrorists plotting to blow us and our families to smithereens, but that mean we should just forget about the muggings that occur everyday on our streets? Should the police forces tell victims of crime, that because in other places, there are people who have lost loved ones to violence, that their stolen phone doesn't matter?

The issue here is not just about "the children." It is also about the image of this site. I would have thought that the admins would have wanted to bring about a professional image, one which wont be achieved by putting profanities in forum categories. Having a section called "trapped in ****" just shows us as a bunch of ignorami, who don't give a damn.

Blowing people up and mugging people are two different things. Both of which are much more important than just one little word. I'm sure most of you didnt come here cause of the "professionalism". But, rather, the service that is provided here. Apparently you are aware of the more important things. And each and every one of them can be taken out by the roots.

Blowing people up and mugging people are two different things. Both of which are much more important than just one little word. I'm sure most of you didnt come here cause of the "professionalism". But, rather, the service that is provided here. Apparently you are aware of the more important things. And each and every one of them can be taken out by the roots.

Of course I joined for the services provided, but had this forum had that phrase in when I had first visited, I would have been put off and might not have decided to register.

Keyword to look at is "might".Hmm, i just considered something. This is a public forum. The public isnt all that professional. And is the service any more non-professional cause of this?