xisto Community
sm00nie

What Linux Distro Do You Use ?

I own nearly 15 different Linux Distros, I'm tired of using them since all look same and function in the same manner. i'm bored of it now I'd like to venture into Unix, is there any Unix version that has support.

I use RedHat Enterprise Linux, CentOS 4.x, FreeBSD and Xandros Linux most of them i use on my servers but some like Xandros i use on my pc, delivi you don't want to near unix ism so simple and bad.

Edited by CrazyRob (see edit history)

I've been using Linux for some months.. bytheway I'm using it right now, to post this reply xD I usually come to Xisto using Windows because I'm always playing some stupid game. Well the distro I use is Ubuntu. I've chosen this one because it's easier and I ant to try little development projects of mine here. When I get more experience I might change to a more develop-like distro, but I'm knda happy to use Ubuntu, it's easy and never caused me any problem. I like the workspaces feature :blink: The last distro i used (knoppix) didn't have this thing.

I use Suse 10.2 ,CentOS,Ubuntu,KnoppixI tested and work with DSL,Puppy and other small distros For me Linux is better and stable then Win .

I personnally use Fedora Core 6 for my server/office, which is in the basement. And for my living room i use Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, I have Myth Tv running on it and im following Cali Lewis from http://geekbeat.tv/ with her box. I also and running Puppy linux right now because the machine i happen to be on is pretty run down and Puppy linux is a very effiecient distro.

I had tried many linux versions

PCQ LINUX : This is the first ever linux i had used about 2 yrs ago.It is distributed with the magazine named PC Quest and was fedora based

FEDORA : Fedora core was the second linux i had used and after that i had tried almost all fedora versions and now using fedora core 6

RED HAT : Red Hat 9 i had used in college and at home i had Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Server 4

SUSE 10 : I had tried suse but its different then RedHat and not able to familiarize with it so removed it next day only

Knoppix : Knoppix is really a great distro and able to use on those systems where i cant install permanently and STD(security tools distribution)Knoppix is really a great distro with almost all the security reated tools wich a network admin may need

Hi, I try a lot of Linux versions - Fedora (Since version 3), Ubuntu (Since version 5), Mandrake (Since version 8), Suse Server (Since version 8.3), Knoppix (Since version 3) and now I'm testing a lastest version of TUQUITO.
Tuquito is a amazing linux distribution, when a sell a PC, I intall Tuquito RC2, and all of my clients are happy and whithout any idea of linux they can do everething, it is 100% developed by a gruop of Argentinan Linux Lovers.
I hope this project grow up, and I invite all of you tu try Tuquito, don't be affraid, it´s a Live CD version too, and the developers ara working in some others interesting projects for example Tuquito Router.

TUQUITO HOME PAGE

Regards and waiting for your comments.

Chakersito

Hey just tried sabayon. I'm happy but for the fact that it screwed up my boot list. But it makes up for that by having lots of important applications preinstalled including beryl windows manager. If you want eye candy and don't want to get an headache trying to install beryl, Sabayon is the distro for you.

I use Kubuntu, but NOT Ubuntu. I HATE Gnome with a passion. I have PPC Kubuntu running on my iBook G4. I don't think Linux can replace Windows on a home/media PC, but as a server or Mac OS replacement it's bar-none.

I've tried out a whole load of Linux distributions (I've got a stack of 30-odd CDs and DVDs of Live versions of them above my desk :P) and I have always found Kubuntu to be pretty good compared to the rest. I would say Linux Mint came a very close second simply due to the excellent hardware support. OpenSUSE is also a good choice, although I'm not too fond of being RPM based.

I HATE Gnome with a passion.I don't think Linux can replace Windows on a home/media PC, but as a server or Mac OS replacement it's bar-none.

Its good to see someone else who also hates Gnome! Everyone I speak to says they prefer it to anything else, but to me it just looks a little bit too childish and cartoony. Especially when you compare it to KDEs new icon set and look.

I don't think Linux can replace Windows on a home/media PC, but as a server or Mac OS replacement it's bar-none.

My laptop dual-boots XP Home and Kubuntu 7.04, and I have gradually, without really noticing, used Kubuntu more and more often for everyday tasks. For example, I check my emails, listen to music, do homework, do web design and a whole host of other stuff on Linux. I boot into XP maybe once a month now, and when I do, everything just seems so unintuitive, hidden and just laborious to get done. As for the media part, things like MythTV are becoming more developed, more stable and more feature-rich now and are viable alternatives to other media systems.

I've just recently tried linux and I must say I"m really impressed with the new KDE and Gnome environments, as well as the shere number of OSS available. I'm really excited about devling deeper into this more stable and efficient OS; This coming from a windows user since it's dawn.
I've started with Gentoo 2006.0 to get my feet wet, and I'm planning to grab the new Fedora Core 5 when I get a chance (as well as more cd's/dvd's) - it was recommended to me.

Anyways, what linux flavor do you prefer and why ?

Who said Linux is much more stable than Windows BTW? Down here, electrical power goes off anytime and comes back anytime and that means that your computer simply goes off immediately the power goes. While on WIndows (XP/Vista), I dont ever have to start rescanning my Hard disks for error, but If n whenever I am on Linux, OMG, it always has to rescan the HDD every time my computer goes off abruptly and in most cases, as I have observed, it is not able to come back to its normal state again. there is always one complaint or the other that I will have to battle with and this finally results in me reinstalling the operating system.

I dont fancy that at all. Finally, I had to remove the Linux OSs I have been using (used quite a lota them). I am just about to install Windows Web Server 2008 Beta 3 into one of my partitions and also considering to put back my PCLinuxOS too.

I Use Damn Small Linux for my weak PC that has 384MB RAM 500MHZ CPU when my Windows 98 has gone fritz. Besides being small, DSL is expandable and you can greatly increase its capacity from being just a live CD to a full blown Linux OS. There are TONS of packages to add, depending on what you want on it, this is the only Linux I know of that lets you have this intense level of personalization, its a Must try for anyone who is interested in Linux!