xisto Community
sm00nie

What Linux Distro Do You Use ?

I was an idiot and bought a copy of SUSE two years ago. I'm too stupid to figure the wrapper thinger, so I have no internet when I boot into Linux. Oh, and then I forgot my login password, so I had to remove it . . andandand. *ahem* I love linux, but not Suse.

I tried Ubuntu for a little bit, multiple times. I really like linux (expecially the free stuff) and I wish I could have learned how to do it.What made me stop mostly, was trying to use the terminal. I was trying to install Java and I followed their instructions exactly, but it wouldnt work. And then I couldnt find some wierd password, even after help from people...I need a linux inclined friend to just sit down with me and walk me through the basics, but until then ill just stay locked in my room, crying. lol

Debian, it is the best. It is the more portable and now i am using Lenny dist that has included the last releases of Wine. So now i can use any Windows program in my Linux envoronment.Also Debian is good for low-resourse pcs, It installs without X-server, so you can use it as web/mail-server. If you want to use it as Desktop just apt-get install your favourite programs.I dont believe in the "distribution chooser", it says that the best for me was Suse, and I really hate Novell.Regards

I have been having issues getting Linux to work under things like VMware, but I would say that the best would be like Fedora core. Just something about it... Sadly I'm a Windows newbie though, :lol:

I use Slackware. It was intimidating at first, so I used Knoppix for half a year, Debian for two years, Fedora for some time, and Gentoo for a year before finally looking at Slackware again and deciding that it was time to try it out. Amusingly, I've gotten a lot worse at using Windows after having used Linux for five years; in fact, Windows now feels foreign to me.

I'm using OpenSUSE 11.0 right now... although I started out with Mandrake (now: Mandriva). For the non-adventurous I suggest sticking to KDE 3.5.9 though and avoid KDE4 until OpenSUSE 11.1 comes out, should be much better in that regard.It's great: I just installed my first LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySql/Php) environment and manager to install Modx CMS on it... perhaps I should make a tutorial sometime... overall it was easy but there were a few tricky things to it...

Edited by Darkelve (see edit history)

installing Ubuntu next Monday, if all goes well - theres some crap with the wirless that messes up all the time. A little noob like me can't set up an ndiswrapper, so I'm getting a friend to take a peek at it. "Thats what friends are for..." :lol:
I though Ubuntu worked with KDE? Kubuntu, which is a subsection of Ubuntu, does, so I would expect Ubuntu itself to use KDE...

Oh well, I'll find out next Monday ^_^

I've been using Ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog and it just gets better and better. With enough research and patience, any quirk can be overcome. I am mightily impressed with linux in general. I have to pinch myself every time I remember that it's FREE!

My linux distro is Ubuntu. In fact I'm using it right now. I picked it because I asked on a forum what the best linux distro is, and Ubuntu was recommended to me. I'm loving this open souce, secure, fast, reliable, goodness! I was given an 8 year old laptop for free, and Ubuntu makes it very usable for daily use. I love it.